Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soviet MTOM 500mm/8 from OOMZ
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Soviet MTOM 500mm/8 from OOMZ Reply with quote

Hi!

I got this lens some days ago, I thought it may interest you.

It's a "prototype" variant of MTO 500mm. But it's not an early version, since it's from 1960 (I think first MTO are from 1958). But it was made in OOMZ factory. OOMZ was the "prototyp" factory for LZOS factory (and then for LOMO complex). So, maybe LZOS wanted to produce a slight different version of KMZ MTO (but then, they produced the original MTO, so this prototyp was kind of fail I guess).

Body is a bit different from classical MTO, and optical diagram also shows 1 difference in rear block (doublet on MTO, single glass on MTOM).

I made some photo today. It's my first very long focal lens, and cat lens... so I'm not really used to focus with it. Also notice that all shot are handheld. I just pushed up the ISO and stabilised my hands using things around me Smile . I used hood.

Best Regards,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite good clarity and sharpness.
#3 is wicked!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damned good for a mirror lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the "funky" bokeh, but it must be difficult to shoot normal subjects with such a long lens...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp lens for normal use, could be used in sports or nature shots with a tripod,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll soon go to a zoopark... I think this is the lens to take.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more shots from today :

Handheld on A7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating lens. The subjects are quite sharp with nice contrast but the bokeh in some of them makes me feel a bit queasy -- in a Timothy Leary kind of way. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that ghosting above the plane wing in the B&W shot, or just the way the grass is ? It's not really a huge problem though as it's a great picture, as they all are really. But the last series, without the highlights in the background, are very good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Is that ghosting above the plane wing in the B&W shot, or just the way the grass is ? It's not really a huge problem though as it's a great picture, as they all are really. But the last series, without the highlights in the background, are very good.

It's the way grass is. In fact, it's edge of a field and a line of grass. Those line with cat bokeh make this strange feeling, but it isn't ghosting Smile .
It's more clear on color version :

Thanks for comments!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Mashpriborintorg Reply with quote

Years ago, catadioptrics were not easy to procure, so some friends&I bought a Maksutov 500. Lots of paperwork before the lens arrived. Wooden box with several filters. Quite sharp, surprising doughnut rings in the background, but entirely acceptable.

Good quality mechanics and optics back then, so I presume that prof- Maksutovs creations still count among the optical milestones.

p.