Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony Alpha and manual lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your lucky you can get them quite cheap. I got a mint elmarit 2.8/35 (first version) for 100 euros of ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Sony Alpha 200 + Helios 44M-6 58mm f2.0 Reply with quote

I have mounted a helios 44M-6 58 2.0 to my sony A200.. But can't get the infinity right! I performed a surgery on it by taking the mount off my old stock sony alpha lens... it worked but I don't know how to fix the infinity focus... this same problem is occuring on the original body - zenit ET... help?

http://marcologous.blogspot.com/2010/06/sony-alpha-200-with-helios-44-m-2-58mm.html

Last edited by marcologous on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:14 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, marcologous.

Do you encounter the same problem with other MF lens? It could be someone did not properly reassemble the lens last time. I do not have the 44M-6 so I cannot confirm but I am using other Helios 44 series and I do not have this problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe... yeah... too bad. When I got this lens from an old friend it's already not focusing right to infinity on the original body. If I reassemble this can anybody give some tips? Cheers!

http://marcologous.blogspot.com/2010/06/sony-alpha-200-with-helios-44-m-2-58mm.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: FIXED!!! Reply with quote

I just fixed the infinity focus issue! it's the glass element at the end! I unscrewed the end part and then just flipped the glass element... And voila! It worked! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My a200 is simply perfect with MF lens!

my favourite lens is the volna-3 for kiev88(adapted to m42 with a modified pentacon-six->m42 adapter and my m42 adapter with chip),i'll buy for it a 85mm exif adapter so the Super Steady Shot works perfect (now i have a 50mm exif,it works well but it won't compensate at it's "full capacity").

i have more mf(a lot more)lens than af lens and one of the best. Very Happy

With a200 you must buy an adapter with chip if you want to use it also in aperture priority,as sayd the internal stabiliizer works well even if the exif isn't correct(don't use a lens with focal lenght less then the exif) and the don't cost too much.
With other models you can shoot in aperture priority without a chip if you have the option to shoot without a lens attached.(also a100 has it)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Anyone know of A77 stabilizer with MF lenses Reply with quote

Hi!

Am thinking of buying a A77 and use it with my Leitaxed Leica R's. Does someone know if the steady shot works with manual lenses, or do you need a chip, or do you need a chip with mm info?

Juho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know of A77 stabilizer with MF lenses Reply with quote

OrcaH4H wrote:
Hi!

Am thinking of buying a A77 and use it with my Leitaxed Leica R's. Does someone know if the steady shot works with manual lenses, or do you need a chip, or do you need a chip with mm info?

Juho

You will need a chip to activate the onbody vibration reduction to work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know of A77 stabilizer with MF lenses Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
OrcaH4H wrote:
Hi!

Juho

You will need a chip to activate the onbody vibration reduction to work.

Added to that, you will need a chip with the correct focal length pre-programmed. This became quote a chore for me (buying an adapter for each lens) so I ditched my Sony and got a Pentax instead, where you type the focal length in the camera instead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps some one can confirm this.

I remember a discussion about this way back. Perhaps in the old minolta 7D days. I think that with MF glass without chip, the sss is actially enabled with the selection knob, but then it defaults only to 50mm focal length. So I think the answer is both yes and no.
Yes it is working without chip. No it only works for 50mm lenses without chip.

This default action may also be different for different camera models within the sonolta lineup.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the new a77 model, but other than the a100 and a700, all other Sony models (as far as I.am aware) required a chip to use aperture priority mode and sss.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chipped adapter enables aperture priority mode in those cameras not supporting it normally (at least the A100, A700, and A900 support it). It also enables AF confirm and SteadyShot on all cameras. Technically SteadyShot does turn on in at least the A100 and A900 (haven't tried any others) even with an unchipped adapter, but it is unknown if it actually does anything useful without “knowledge” of the focal length. Sometimes one hears claims that it defaults to 50mm, but I think these are just misunderstandings based on the fact that many chipped adapters report the 50mm focal length unless you specifically buy an adapter programmed for another setting.

In any case SteadyShot will only be fully effective if the adapter reports the approximately correct focal length for the lens being used. An approximate, preferably shorter than longer, focal length does help somewhat, though. For example, 50mm should be just fine for lenses 45-60mm and better than nothing for longer than that. With considerably shorter focal lengths than reported by the adapter one might wish to disable SteadyShot so it doesn't actually introduce vibration by “overcorrecting”.

(Shameless self-promotion: I have written a little FAQ about M42 lenses on Sony Alpha.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
The chipped adapter enables aperture priority mode in those cameras not supporting it normally (at least the A100, A700, and A900 support it). It also enables AF confirm and SteadyShot on all cameras. Technically SteadyShot does turn on in at least the A100 and A900 (haven't tried any others) even with an unchipped adapter, but it is unknown if it actually does anything useful without “knowledge” of the focal length. Sometimes one hears claims that it defaults to 50mm, but I think these are just misunderstandings based on the fact that many chipped adapters report the 50mm focal length unless you specifically buy an adapter programmed for another setting.

In any case SteadyShot will only be fully effective if the adapter reports the approximately correct focal length for the lens being used. An approximate, preferably shorter than longer, focal length does help somewhat, though. For example, 50mm should be just fine for lenses 45-60mm and better than nothing for longer than that. With considerably shorter focal lengths than reported by the adapter one might wish to disable SteadyShot so it doesn't actually introduce vibration by “overcorrecting”.

(Shameless self-promotion: I have written a little FAQ about M42 lenses on Sony Alpha.)

On the A77, if you change the menu to allow shutter release with no lens, the AF confirmation works with a non chipped M42 adaptor and aperture priority also works. I do not know if SS is working or not, there is no in camera indication at least in the EVF. I will have to check the LCD sometime. I just got a 300mm lens and it is doing well at large distances but i have had troubles getting a clear shot at shorter distances so far. I also had some differences in the auto WB. I shot a green grass clump in a dead grass yard. The shot with my Alpha lens had a 5500 K WB the M42 was only 2200 K. When I changed the WB to be the same in Aperture the images were pretty close. I shot a picture of a white truck and the WB was back to 5500 K. Not exactly sure what is going on.

If the SSS needs a chipped adaptor, does anyone have a good source for one pre-chipped to 200 and 300mm?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a (Tamron) Adaptall2 / SMA adapter for $15 on e-bay, today's prices are mutch cheaper then back in 2007

the Adaptal II to SMA

and mine

reg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- yes without chip, sony hates you. This is true for almost all bodies, actually I don't know any of the old SLR bodies (Dynax/maxxum, Alpha-xxx) where it isn't. You get M mode or, if you are lucky, "preset A" mode (like on Minolta 4, unfortunately you don't see the shutter times) Glad to hear they improved that on a77

- M42 has better flange than M-AF so infinity without glass. However, some adaptors are said to be a thick too thick, I can confirm. F11 somewhat fixes

- I basically saw only m42 adaptors traded in any quantity and reasonable price (i.e. not like 40 bucks from professional trader) when I still used 'B. Not even M/MD without glass.

- M/MD is fine for 4/3 and related. Prices seem to have gone well up. Like, the 250 went for a lot.

- sss symbol lights without chip [edit: on my a230]. and I shot 300 mm at 1/250 or so, had the impression sss worked. may have been fooling myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the a100 and a700 allow you to shoot in A mode without a chip. Certainly the a100 as I had one before Smile The camera defaults to 50mm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I think the a100 and a700 allow you to shoot in A mode without a chip. Certainly the a100 as I had one before :) The camera defaults to 50mm.

Also the A900, and possibly some others in the high end of the range.

However, I would be very interested to know what the source for the hypothesis “camera defaults to 50mm” is? My guess (also stated earlier in this thread) is that this is just a misconception based on the fact that electric adapters are sold with 50mm focal length as default unless one buys a custom setting. With a non-electric adapter the camera records 0mm in EXIF.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means the sss defaults to 50mm.

I never understood why sss should care, but otherwise rather smart people said it does.
In my experience, I shoot 300mm m42 tele at like, 1/250 and try to hold still, and often (50%?) the image is not shake limited. But I may be deluding myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
I think he means the sss defaults to 50mm.

Yes, and I have never seen any source or verification for this widely-spread claim*. So I think it's a misunderstanding based on the common electronic adapters shipping with 50mm focal length programmed in by default. If someone can provide a source to show otherwise, or suggest a test to find out what focal length the camera is using for SSS, that would be very interesting indeed…

* I have been using the Sony Alpha system since 2006 when I pre-ordered the A100 and I co-administer the largest Sony Alpha users' group on flickr, and I've been using manual lenses on the system for all this time, so I have paid some amount of attention to the system and the development of adapters for it. The “50mm default” statement seems to have just popped up out of “nowhere” on online forums sometime after the first electronic M42 adapters.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I think the a100 and a700 allow you to shoot in A mode without a chip. Certainly the a100 as I had one before Smile The camera defaults to 50mm.

I suspect shooting in A mode is true for all Sony A mount or Minolta MA mount. I have no problem shooting in A mode when I was using film Dynax cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:

I suspect shooting in A mode is true for all Sony A mount or Minolta MA mount. I have no problem shooting in A mode when I was using film Dynax cameras.

Some of the lower-end Sony Alphas do not support A-mode with a manual lens on a non-electric adapter, since they lack the “release without lens” option in the settings. Instead they allow shooting “without a lens” only in M-mode, so an electric adapter must be used to shoot in A-mode with manual lenses on those cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iirc they have that option but even enabling it gives you only M

same with film bodies EXCEPT the small auto-everything cameras like 4 - but as I said, you don't see the times on those so a bit of metering / guessing required not to get too much shaek

Curiously, the secret handshake from the web to enable release without lens (you know on poweron press those buttons...) seemed to do nothing on one of mine, it always fired no matter what; but I cannot remember what body that was.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Konica-Minolta 7d and M42 adapter Reply with quote

Will an electronic adapter, which allows to have AF-confirm, be enough to use the anti-shake in Minolta 7D?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Konica-Minolta 7d and M42 adapter Reply with quote

january-w wrote:
Will an electronic adapter, which allows to have AF-confirm, be enough to use the anti-shake in Minolta 7D?

Yes, if the focal length programmed into the adapter roughly matches that of the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest me some sony DSLR cam for home photography.
san antonio apartment locator