Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony Alpha and manual lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this adapter for Nikon to Minolta/Sony, has anyone tried this? How much does an extra element effect the end result?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Sony M42 adapter with focus confirmation Reply with quote

chipped Sony / M42 adapters with focus confirmation can be had:

http://haodascreen.com/m42minolta.aspx
http://eadpt.cn/eadpen.htm

without focus confirmation:
http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Minolta-Accessories/Lens-Mount-Adapter-for-M42-Lenses-pe-for-Sony-Alpha-a700-a200-a100-Minolta-Dynax-7D-5D::45.html?XTCsid=42d047805181a896c0088088e56b6226
http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/minolta_af_lens_adapter.htm

disclaimer:
I have not tried any and don't have any relation with producer/seller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sony M42 adapter with focus confirmation Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
chipped Sony / M42 adapters with focus confirmation can be had:
http://eadpt.cn/eadpen.htm

I have not tried any and don't have any relation with producer/seller

I have 4 or 5 of this adapters. They work great. I can recommend them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Sony Alpha bodies (A100, A700 and A350) with various mf lenses. It works fine, except that the A350 can only be used in manual mode (not A=aperture priority) unless you have a chipped adapter.
Apart from m42 and Adaptall-2 I also use some Pentacon lenses, sometimes with a tilt adapter.

/Erik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add that the a300 (and I assume the a350) is unable to fit the helios-40-2 on it. The helios is just too fat at the base and hits the protruding sony logo. Works fine on the a100 though...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:
I just want to add that the a300 (and I assume the a350) is unable to fit the helios-40-2 on it. The helios is just too fat at the base and hits the protruding sony logo. Works fine on the a100 though...

The A200, A300 and A350 have the same body, the only difference being the live view in A300 & A350, and the better sensor in the A350. So the Helios wouldn't fit any of them.

/Erik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
M42 adapter available, but in body AF turned off Rolling Eyes

Hi, im new, to the forum and photography in general really.
I have a Sony A200, and my friend has just given me a few old Carl Zeiss and Paragon lenses. Would they work using that adapter?

Sorry if i'm abit vague, I am quite good with a camera, just not with the theory. Very Happy
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

As you could read before M42 screw mount lenses will work with available adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathStone wrote:

I have a Sony A200, and my friend has just given me a few old Carl Zeiss and Paragon lenses. Would they work using that adapter?

Do you know what mount your Carl Zeiss & Paragon lenses are? If they are M42, you are in luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have A200 + M42 adapter with the AF confirmation but i don't use the AF confirmation because it takes too long to get the confirmation. Besides the chip sometimes disconnects from the body and some motor inside the body is starting to run (usually for some 4-5 seconds) and freezes the camera since the lens is found (chip is again connected with the body). Besides the thread of the adapter is so strange... f.e. when i connect to the body my Tair 3S the focusing ring is (looking on the body from the screen/back side) on the left hand and all marks (aperture, focal length etc.) are on the right hand. The lens is screwed in the adapter/body almost quarter of the turn too far. BTW: the adapter costed ~35-40 EUR.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathStone wrote:
hacksawbob wrote:
http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/minolta_af_lens_adapter.htm M42 adapter available, but in body AF turned off Rolling Eyes

Sorry if i'm abit vague, I am quite good with a camera, just not with the theory. Very Happy
Thanks

Hello, you will need an AF (focus confirm) chipped M42 adapter for the a200. I can recommend jinfinance on ebay. Another seller I bought from is big_is but the adapter did not reach infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReiLord wrote:
The lens is screwed in the adapter/body almost quarter of the turn too far.

I've made a mistake. There's no almost quarter of turn reserve but inversely - the rifling is ending almost quarter of turn too early - is it normal or should i complain the adapter?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReiLord wrote:
ReiLord wrote:
The lens is screwed in the adapter/body almost quarter of the turn too far.

I've made a mistake. There's no almost quarter of turn reserve but inversely - the rifling is ending almost quarter of turn too early - is it normal or should i complain the adapter?

You'd be lucky to find an adapter that has the screw aligned properly. Even many of the M42 cameras weren't all that good either, although they were usually acceptably close.
In other words, it's normal and it's one of the reasons why bayonet fittings took over, apart from quickness.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leitax.com are now offering sony mounts for Leica lenses and some Carl Zeiss lenses. Happy days!!!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the only thing I need is Leica and Contax Zeiss lens. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your lucky you can get them quite cheap. I got a mint elmarit 2.8/35 (first version) for 100 euros of ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Sony Alpha 200 + Helios 44M-6 58mm f2.0 Reply with quote

I have mounted a helios 44M-6 58 2.0 to my sony A200.. But can't get the infinity right! I performed a surgery on it by taking the mount off my old stock sony alpha lens... it worked but I don't know how to fix the infinity focus... this same problem is occuring on the original body - zenit ET... help?

http://marcologous.blogspot.com/2010/06/sony-alpha-200-with-helios-44-m-2-58mm.html

Last edited by marcologous on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:14 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, marcologous.

Do you encounter the same problem with other MF lens? It could be someone did not properly reassemble the lens last time. I do not have the 44M-6 so I cannot confirm but I am using other Helios 44 series and I do not have this problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe... yeah... too bad. When I got this lens from an old friend it's already not focusing right to infinity on the original body. If I reassemble this can anybody give some tips? Cheers!

http://marcologous.blogspot.com/2010/06/sony-alpha-200-with-helios-44-m-2-58mm.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: FIXED!!! Reply with quote

I just fixed the infinity focus issue! it's the glass element at the end! I unscrewed the end part and then just flipped the glass element... And voila! It worked! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My a200 is simply perfect with MF lens!

my favourite lens is the volna-3 for kiev88(adapted to m42 with a modified pentacon-six->m42 adapter and my m42 adapter with chip),i'll buy for it a 85mm exif adapter so the Super Steady Shot works perfect (now i have a 50mm exif,it works well but it won't compensate at it's "full capacity").

i have more mf(a lot more)lens than af lens and one of the best. Very Happy

With a200 you must buy an adapter with chip if you want to use it also in aperture priority,as sayd the internal stabiliizer works well even if the exif isn't correct(don't use a lens with focal lenght less then the exif) and the don't cost too much.
With other models you can shoot in aperture priority without a chip if you have the option to shoot without a lens attached.(also a100 has it)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Anyone know of A77 stabilizer with MF lenses Reply with quote

Hi!

Am thinking of buying a A77 and use it with my Leitaxed Leica R's. Does someone know if the steady shot works with manual lenses, or do you need a chip, or do you need a chip with mm info?

Juho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know of A77 stabilizer with MF lenses Reply with quote

OrcaH4H wrote:
Hi!

Am thinking of buying a A77 and use it with my Leitaxed Leica R's. Does someone know if the steady shot works with manual lenses, or do you need a chip, or do you need a chip with mm info?

Juho

You will need a chip to activate the onbody vibration reduction to work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know of A77 stabilizer with MF lenses Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
OrcaH4H wrote:
Hi!

Juho

You will need a chip to activate the onbody vibration reduction to work.

Added to that, you will need a chip with the correct focal length pre-programmed. This became quote a chore for me (buying an adapter for each lens) so I ditched my Sony and got a Pentax instead, where you type the focal length in the camera instead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps some one can confirm this.

I remember a discussion about this way back. Perhaps in the old minolta 7D days. I think that with MF glass without chip, the sss is actially enabled with the selection knob, but then it defaults only to 50mm focal length. So I think the answer is both yes and no.
Yes it is working without chip. No it only works for 50mm lenses without chip.

This default action may also be different for different camera models within the sonolta lineup.