Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7S or A7II for manual lenses and low light
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Sony A7S or A7II for manual lenses and low light Reply with quote

I have been waiting for the price of the Sony A7S to go down and suddenly there is the A7II to consider. Which one is the better camera from manual glass (especially wide glass) and which is the better camera for low light photography? The A7II still has the same sensor as the A7, right?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no sure answers yet..
but I suppose that the 7S does a bit better with RF wide angles and high ISO, the IBIS of the A7II often will save on ISO though.
better high ISO of the A7s as compared to A7II shown here at abt. minute 10:40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEEtD1AUtbw
a happy M lens user on A7S: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/07/15/the-sony-a7s-a-new-camera-for-leica-m-lenses-by-ashwin-rao/
yes, A7 and A7II have the same sensor ( AF on II is improved though )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. But there's a contradiction right there (one that I have been curious about). Either it is the same sensor or it is not. You (and others) say that it is improved.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Thanks for your input. But there's a contradiction right there (one that I have been curious about). Either it is the same sensor or it is not. You (and others) say that it is improved.

I am not a technical guy, but from how much I understand A7 and A7II have same sensor, that is also have the same number of AF points, the AF algorithms of the A7II however are new, taken from Alpha 6000 ( is this possible or contradicting? )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a technical guy either. But I guess that the processing and the AF algorithms could be improved. Maybe those will come to the A7 as a future Firmware upgrade. But it sounds to me as if the sensor itself is the same hardware as the one in the A7.

Last edited by Pontus on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing that to me, the A7S is a full frame sensor, while the A77II is an APS-C 'crop' sensor. I know I want a full frame digital camera in the near future. The A7 line and the A77 have different sensors.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil some confusion there. We are not comparing A7s to A77 but to A7 Mark II or A7II, which also is a FF camera, the newest of the Sony mirrorless FF cameras, just released, that sports 5 axix in body stabilization ( IBIS ) http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_a7_mkii_hands_on.shtml

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, I did not read carefully.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A7S is better for most normal and wide angle lenses, where the lack of stabilization might not be a big problem.
Only issue is the ergonomics not being as good as the A7II.

And it may not need the fast glass as much as other cameras, so some cost could be re-gained there, especially with rangefinder lenses, where the price gap is much wider.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
I'm not a technical guy either. But I guess that the processing and the AF algorithms could be improved. Maybe those will come to the A7 as a future Firmware upgrade. But it sounds to me as if the sensor itself is the same hardware as the one in the A7.

DXOmark of the A7II is out, interestingly it scores quite a bit better for high ISO than the A7, but falls a bit behind in DR:
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7-II-versus-Sony-A7S-versus-Sony-A7___996_949_916
( A7s is included in the comparison, best high ISO but lowest DR and color depth scores )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting to lean towards the A7II.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High ISO capabilities offer fast shutter speeds, a stabilizer enables you to hold steady at a slower shutter speed - which doesn't help when freering moving subjects.

I usually prefer a better ISO performance to an IS. Others prefer the IS.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the default shutter speed still 1/60th on the mark 2 ?