Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony a7s, Iso 12800
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Sony a7s, Iso 12800 Reply with quote

Finally I received my a7s this evening. Tomorrow I'll leave for Istanbul and give it a good try.
In the meantime, I'll share the first boring image I shot with it:

ISO 12800, 1/1250 sec. Shot with a CZJ Biotar 2/58 in exakta mount, wide open. Jpeg straight out of camera, just resized in aperture.
Noise look quite impressive to me for iso 12800. But most of all the room was quite dark, and I could get decent image at 1/1250 sec.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Damn you! You've got it Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive. Cool I like what this machine can do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
:shock: Damn you! You've got it :lol:

Actually it's not mine: I chose it for a small company for which I work every now and then, but it was delivered directly to me. I am still undecided between this and the a7II: if I had to shoot primarily video - like this company - I'd buy the a7s without hesitation. For my mixed use the a7II may be a better choice - but I'm already loving this thing.

cyrano wrote:
Impressive. 8) I like what this machine can do.

Indeed - I would expect this kind of noise with a 5dIII around iso 1000, and my nex5 at 800 is probably already worse than this. With a moderately fast lens and this high iso capabilities, I think I won't need IS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS can't always replace fast shutter speed..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:

True, one more point for the a7s then ;)
I'm just a bit scared by the 12 megapixels - I know resolution Will be enough for almost all my needs, but still.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:

Yes true. But also the other way round:
Fast shutter speed can´t always replace IS!
With my A7II I can take images with motion blurred parts, without that often need for a tripod.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a cam that produce images as fine and clear at very high ISOs as the A7s.
My X-T1 and my Df are great already, but they are not match for that Sony. (They are better than the A7 or A7R, though.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I also considered a switch to A7S when sold the "R" and bought my A7 II. I love almost all the S can offer, but I have big hands and missed the IS from my OM-D and the A7 II was brand new at the time which was very tempting so it tipped me in this direction, but it was not a easy chioce and I will probably try the S next time I upgrade (A7S MK II or III).

If they go for slightly higher res (16MP) + IBIS on a later S modell, then I`m sold instantly. Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money wouldn't be a problem I had gone for the S, the 12mpx aren't an issue at all, I'm not gonna print any poster Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7S-II with:

- high ISO like A7S
- IS and body from A7II
- maybe a 16MP sensor

...I would buy it instantly Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it just the worry about lacing capacity to crop with ye woring about "only" 12MP?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
is it just the worry about lacing capacity to crop with ye woring about "only" 12MP?

That is the rational reason: on the other hand, sincerely, I rarely do severe cropping; it's nice being able to do that, but I'd say it's not a major concern when choosing a camera.
The other reasons being linked to that part of my brains that likes big cars, fast motorbikes and other men's stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least your honest about it Razz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's very impressive for ISO 12,800. I'm pleased with the high ISO files from the 7D II we just got where I work, but the A7S absolutely blows it away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion Full Frame always our preforms a crop in low light... I'm still waiting to see if Canon comes out with a mirrorless contender this year.