Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7R sensor not cleanable with swabs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Sony A7R sensor not cleanable with swabs Reply with quote

Hallo Sirs,

I got a Sony A7R, which I carried for a walk in the woods.

I stayed within a country road and I changed optics only once, in the parking lot, before entering the green area (sensor was very clean before leaving for this walk).

There were some small trees very close to me when I changed lens.

When I came home I had several spots on my sensor, so I tried to clean them with the appropriate full frame swabs and isopropil.

Despite several passes almost nothing happened, much of the spots are still there.

I'm planning to get a fluid but I don't actually know how to proceed, since I don't really understand what might have caused such spots(maybe some sticky substance from the trees).

Asking for suggestions, especially in terms of cleaning solutions (I have one which is very effective for glass and lenses, made for opticians, which contains Phenoxyethanol and some other *paraben components, that might work here).

Regards

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isopropil on the swabs could evaporate or just was insufficient in quantity for the substance. It's a good idea to get sensor or even screen cleaning liquid and use your swab with it. In general, Sony sensors are covered with a protective layer, so you may not fear to hurt them with a bit more of dedicated liquid.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you are, so not sure what season it is there.

Could be anything from dust, tree resin (soluble in isopropyl, but you'll need quite a few cleaning passes), aphid droplets (sugary sticky substance, soluble in distilled/RO water), pollen (tough stuff, not sure about solubility), tree sap (likely soluble in water).

IF YOU USE WATER, DO NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN PURE DISTILLED WATER. Tap water or filtered water will leave loads of mineral residues.

If you use distilled water, make sure you finish off with pure isopropyl alcohol; water is miscible with IPA and it will help evaporate the water with it.

This malarkey is why I sealed my lens adapter with nano AR coated glass and rarely take it off; I can change lenses all day long and don't get dust issues; just limits you to a single type lens mount whilst that adapter is on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
I'm not sure where you are, so not sure what season it is there.

Could be anything from dust, tree resin (soluble in isopropyl, but you'll need quite a few cleaning passes), aphid droplets (sugary sticky substance, soluble in distilled/RO water), pollen (tough stuff, not sure about solubility), tree sap (likely soluble in water).

IF YOU USE WATER, DO NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN PURE DISTILLED WATER. Tap water or filtered water will leave loads of mineral residues.

If you use distilled water, make sure you finish off with pure isopropyl alcohol; water is miscible with IPA and it will help evaporate the water with it.

This malarkey is why I sealed my lens adapter with nano AR coated glass and rarely take it off; I can change lenses all day long and don't get dust issues; just limits you to a single type lens mount whilst that adapter is on.

Thanks.

I'm presently in winter, Italy, not too far from the Swss border. It wasn't a windy day. Trees around looked like plane trees

BTW

I took some test pics of a white computer screen (bright white canvas) and the spots do not appear anymore. Also some well exposed test images of leaves are spotless. But the tiny spots are still visible on the sensor, as I said. Some ten passes with isopropil have managed to weaken them but most of them are still there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://eclipseopticcleaner.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Ty I didn't mention it but I already have one in my shopping basket. If distileld water doesn't do the trick I will get this eclipse.

Or some pure methanol ethanol mix I can get directly from a pharmacy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleto wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Ty I didn't mention it but I already have one in my shopping basket. If distileld water doesn't do the trick I will get this eclipse.

The Eclipse is reagent grade methanol mixed with tiny bit of distilled water. Pharmacy costs way less than Eclipse. Just as good imho.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
pleto wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

The Eclipse is reagent grade methanol mixed with tiny bit of distilled water. Pharmacy costs way less than Eclipse. Just as good imho.

Thanks for confirming this. I hope to get enough of this methanol to clean my sensor and lenses cheaply and effectively.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a methanol/ethanol mix, do be careful;

Methanol & ethanol are fine for glass, but they are quite aggressive on plastics compared to isopropyl alcohol. Make sure you don't use a dripping wet swab and don't accidentally spill any on the plastics surrounding the sensor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
If you use a methanol/ethanol mix, do be careful;

Methanol & ethanol are fine for glass, but they are quite aggressive on plastics compared to isopropyl alcohol. Make sure you don't use a dripping wet swab and don't accidentally spill any on the plastics surrounding the sensor.

Thanks. Due to the necessity of being thrifty, I waited a bit and then I went for the distilled water + isopropyl combination.

One single pass of water followed by one single pass of iso for drying the excess water did the trick.

Clearly water was necessary since it probably was some organic substance.

Thanks you all for your help

I had taken a metal restoration course years ago so I know how much isopropyl is safe, with an important caveat, some old type of paint can be dissolved by this liquid. I ruined an ancient watch dial with isopropyl, it acted like paint remover.

It never gave me problems on cameras but one must be ever careful with painted surfaces, especially the more old ones.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleto wrote:
I had taken a metal restoration course years ago so I know how much isopropyl is safe, with an important caveat, some old type of paint can be dissolved by this liquid. I ruined an ancient watch dial with isopropyl, it acted like paint remover.

It never gave me problems on cameras but one must be ever careful with painted surfaces, especially the more old ones.

Not just old paint. I used some Isopropyl alcohol to clean some grease off the powder-coated baked enamel paint on a cheap but relatively new cooker hood. Bad mistake that was... Sad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to clean the A7II sensor ,I already have isopropyl and distilled water, what else do I need? Like swabs etc? Is there any video for the right procedure ? Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first video that appeared in search results https://youtu.be/b-7ciRxh6s8 is how I work, but instead of buying those swabs I use a fresh Pec-Pad microfiber folded over a tongue depressor the same width as the camera sensor.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've read about some swabs leaving spots and residue behind, so I preferred ti check here first. Info have pads tissues to clean lenses ,how do you use them properly? I mean what is a tongue depressor? You mean the one used by PhD?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pec-Pads https://www.amazon.com/Non-Abrasive-Sensitive-Telescopes-Microscopes-Binoculars/dp/B005TH5I2E

Tongue Depressors https://www.amazon.com/WISYOK-Natural-Depressors-Supplies-Crafting/dp/B09WK7QPC7

cut off the rounded end of the depressor -- the edge should be the same width as the sensor. place the edge in the center of the pec-pad, fold the top of the pad over, then the sides fold over the stick voila! a sensor swab costing far less then dedicated offerings...

Last edited by visualopsins on Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, would you recommend to pass a brush first to remove any dust from the surface that wouldn't come out with the air blower (to avoid any scratches?)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the A7R has a sensor cleaning mode which will remove any static charge and shake off some dust. If not the video again near the beginning where he uses a blower on a soft brush to charge it with static which will pull off dust as it moves across the sensor...

Should be noted unless it has been removed for IR/UV photography, the sensor has a sturdy protective filter which is what gets cleaned.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Turtle