Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7(R) manual focusing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Sony A7(R) manual focusing Reply with quote

I'm considering selling my Canon film and digital gear and purchasing a Sony A7 or A7R so I can use all my mf lenses on one camera. My only concern is about focusing mf lenses with these cameras. My eyesight is less than perfect and I wear spectacles all the time. How accurate is focus peaking without having to zoom in on every shot?
Thanks in advance for your input.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried the a7, but on nex5 and nex5n the focus peaking can be used but on larger aperture or in low light scene can be innacurate.

I only use magnification, is fast (assigned to function key) and more reliable than peaking, is just a matter of learnig curve and become a habit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sony A7(R) manual focusing Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I'm considering selling my Canon film and digital gear and purchasing a Sony A7 or A7R so I can use all my mf lenses on one camera. My only concern is about focusing mf lenses with these cameras. My eyesight is less than perfect and I wear spectacles all the time. How accurate is focus peaking without having to zoom in on every shot?
Thanks in advance for your input.

I find focusing with my A7 is easier then my Canon 5D with a manual focusing screen installed. I believe that it is more accurate then the asp-c nex cameras due to its larger sensor. Manual lenses when stopped down have a nice bright image in the EVF. I don't have top open the diaphragm to focus and then return to the shooting aperture. This is because the camera adjusts the exposure in real time. This is viewed in the EVF and exposure can be adjusted manually with the dial on the top of the body as you watch the EVF change. I am 71 and wear glasses. I really enjoy all of the new capabilities of the EVF.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end focus peaking is not so usefull.
It works a little bit with telelenses together with the focuszoom.
With WA and standard lenses, it is disturbing and I prefer to switch it off.
Manual focusing with tha A7 works quiet well actually but don't expect miracles from the FP.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its a Pentax K-01 I am talking about,But I don't mind its focus peaking feature,my eyesight is getting worse,I am short sighted naturally and am now going long/near sighted so its getting hard to see the backscreen Laughing Rolling Eyes The highlights around the subject does help me.

In the end I use the focus peaking feature as a guide and the rest is a judgement call when an object is in perfect sharpness. Most times it works for me, now that I am used to the feature...it was a learning curve at first.The K-01 has no EVF available(I wish it did),I believe the Sony does so this may be a the accessory to buy with the camera.

Are you able to walk into a shop and handle the camera you want to buy? Besides there is no hurry to buy is there? and you can take your time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need magnification for critical focusing especially if the object does not have high contrast contour. Focus peaking will works with magnified view too. My work flow on my 5N is use the focus peaking to determine the appropriate focus point. Then use the magnified view to get the exact focus point. 10x magnified view will be needed to when using super-tele lens.