Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Sony A7II Reply with quote

Thought this might interest some here: Sony have just announced the A7II with 5-axis IBIS. Sounds to me like almost the perfect digital camera for adapted lens users.

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-gb/products/v6cd/index.html?contentsTop=1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony A7II Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:
Sounds to me like almost the perfect digital camera for adapted lens users.

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-gb/products/v6cd/index.html?contentsTop=1

Nice camera! (Hang on, let me check last night's Powerball ticket... nope.)

I'm not 100% sure, but doesn't the IBIS image stabilization system require the use of AF lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% sure you can enter the current focal length as a setting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some systems require communication with the lens so it can optimize its settings, which would require a chipped adapter, this would not be a good thing for me if I desired IBIS for my collection of lenses.
Edit:
Looks like there is manual FL selection.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/5-axis-stabilization-works-with-all-third-party-lenses-leica-m-zeiss-zm-and-all-other-lenses-now-with-4-5-stops-stabilization/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony's implementation of IBIS almost certainly comes from Olympus (same buzzwords like 5-axis stabilization, recent cooperation between the two). If that's the case, then you just enter the lens focal length in the settings for IBIS to work. No communication between lens and body is necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Sony's implementation of IBIS almost certainly comes from Olympus (same buzzwords like 5-axis stabilization, recent cooperation between the two). If that's the case, then you just enter the lens focal length in the settings for IBIS to work. No communication between lens and body is necessary.

Some are saying it a wholly new implementation of 5-axis stabilisation, though who knows.
It would be nice if you could have a number of preset lens settings, that you could programme in advance, that would give a bit more data in the EXIF - like setting up manual lenses on my D600.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the 5-axis thing works for left handed photographer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome tech no doubt! however, with advancements in sensor technology, we can just bump up the ISO like on the A7s and still get
blur-free, clean images if necessary.

IBIS is good for stationary subjects and if one really needs insane slow-shutter stabilization, but once the subject moves, it will still get blurry.

another thing which i'm curious to know about is the effect of a pitch and yaw stabilisation. will it affect the image and give it a tilt/shift effect when a shot is made at a certain pitch angle?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathandael wrote:
awesome tech no doubt! however, with advancements in sensor technology, we can just bump up the ISO like on the A7s and still get
blur-free, clean images if necessary.

IBIS is good for stationary subjects and if one really needs insane slow-shutter stabilization, but once the subject moves, it will still get blurry.

another thing which i'm curious to know about is the effect of a pitch and yaw stabilisation. will it affect the image and give it a tilt/shift effect when a shot is made at a certain pitch angle?

IBIS is great, I've shot with and without IS (sony A900, canon with OS lens, sony NEX 6, nikon D600 with non OS lens). I thought I can get away without IS, but there's always a need for IS, yes it is true that while IS will get you a stable shot at 1/10 sec, it's pointless because your subject moves faster than that, however in the range of 1/50 sec, it's gold, you get much more keeper vs no IS, and even with the A7S crazy ISO, you'll still rather want to shoot at low ISO vs high. Meaning in low light situation you can still shoot at lower ISO which IMO is great (up to 2-3 stops lower ISO).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's pretty useful, whatever quality high ISO we have. Plenty of my shots are handheld tourist static shots at night at 1/10 with a normal lens. Then, there is always a story of a tele in autumn/winter. Without stabilization it pretty quickly gets into the range, where the quality drop with high ISO is obvious. Just imagine something like 500/f8 mirror on an unstabilized body. Ughh, shudder.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a user of the 5 axes stabilisation with my E-P5 (and formerly E-M5), this is the main point for me to stay with Olympus... a FF camera with the same confort (not only to avoid blur but also for aim) would make me switching for Sony.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caribou wrote:
I'm a user of the 5 axes stabilisation with my E-P5 (and formerly E-M5), this is the main point for me to stay with Olympus... a FF camera with the same confort (not only to avoid blur but also for aim) would make me switching for Sony.

This is one good point that no one has ever mentioned. For the very accurate focus, especially with tele lenses, I always have to zoom the focus in, and the shaking screen is really annoying most of the time, now it can be much more comfortable and accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
caribou wrote:

This is one good point that no one has ever mentioned. For the very accurate focus, especially with tele lenses, I always have to zoom the focus in, and the shaking screen is really annoying most of the time, now it can be much more comfortable and accurate.

+1. I cannot focus a 500mm mirror lens when I zoom in on my NEX 5N. Even with my 300mm mirror, it is not very easy to focus it on the enlarged liveview.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the EVF/screen show a stabilised image then? I thought you needed IS within the lens to do that, or is that more a DSLR thing?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Will the EVF/screen show a stabilised image then? I thought you needed IS within the lens to do that, or is that more a DSLR thing?

I'm sure it will, even though there is no such official announcement. It should work the same way as in Olympus camera that half pressing will trigger the IBIS. Basically when they can do stabilized video, the stabilized live view is just a consequent.

It will be pretty much similar to this:

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/ep5/feature/04/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

I am sure it will since the output is grabbed directly from the sensor readout. I think this is a killer feature which may lead me to cash in my A7 and upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new feature is awesome for accurate focus and low speed-shutter.
(Hope that could work on manual focus lenses too... It should probably!
Also hope Sony really can do something with batteries, because this feature must affect eve more the BAD capacity of bateries...)

Even so, THIS MIGHT BE the best camera to have for manual lenses.
That's very good news!!
Although I want one new A7 II,
FROM NOW on I am BUYER of an used A7 (I) if prices are OK... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlousada wrote:

That's very good news!!

haha, this is exactly how I think too. Wonder how many of us do, possibly that many that the price of the used A7 won't drop all that much Sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just as i suspected, battery life is worse than the a7s by 50 shots... 270 vs 320 via OVF. They should put 3 batteries in the box instead of 2. hehe..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathandael wrote:
just as i suspected, battery life is worse than the a7s by 50 shots... 270 vs 320 via OVF. They should put 3 batteries in the box instead of 2. hehe..

Meike made a grip for A7 series that has the built-in wireless remote adapter, it can partly solve that problem and add more value to the camera. Some may say it's not reasonable to add the grip to a mirrorless camera, but I actually didn't buy them just because they're small, they're great performers. Even without the grip, I'm willing to carry 5, 6 batteries for this camera and a back-up NEX, they're still smaller than a 100mm lens Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the poor battery life means that the battery is smaller and lighter I even prefer that to the other way around. In case I think one battery won't last I just take along another one or two, better than always carrying a heavier one inside the cam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We now have two threads about this! I don`t think this topic should be in the manual focus lenses category... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery life of course should be affected. However there is an excellent Meike grip exist with a shiny remote shutter allowing bulb operations by timer. It is kinda large though. Also stabilization system could possibly be switched off for high light situations. Anyway a really great cam coming! I'll wait for A9 to make an upgrade decision however.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
vlousada wrote:

That's very good news!!

haha, this is exactly how I think too. Wonder how many of us do, possibly that many that the price of the used A7 won't drop all that much Sad

I am a buyer of a used A7 II Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
caribou wrote:

I would not be so optimistic because I think IS only works at the moment the picture is taken, or video is being recorded. At least that's how the Sony A99 works. Keeping IS active all the time would spend much battery power and compromise the durability of the mechanism.