Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7/R firmware update to version 1.02
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Sony A7/R firmware update to version 1.02 Reply with quote

It's for Australia but works for me (UK).

Here you go : http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/585420/product/ilce-7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. However all my PCs available both at work and home are Linux OS systems. Too bad Sony still lacks simple support for other platforms.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:
Thanks. However all my PCs available both at work and home are Linux OS systems. Too bad Sony still lacks simple support for other platforms.

Awesome! More people should use Linux! Wink
To bad that Sony don`t support it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried it? Any feedback?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, the startup time is faster compared to before Very Happy
I don`t own a AF lens, but I heard the speed on FE lenses has improved AF.

That`s all I really can say for now...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me the most interesting section in 1.02 changelist is

Quote:
Provides support for the SEL70200G lens:
- Supports the "Fast Hybrid AF" function and future Fast Hybrid AF compatible E mount lenses
- Adds the "Focus hold button" function
Reduces start-up time:
- The start-up time has been reduced in cases when the camera is switched on immediately after being switched off
Improves image quality
Provides support for additional PlayMemories Camera Apps™ and additional features for previously supported apps:
- Supports the "Liveview Grading" and "Smooth Reflection" applications
- Supports the smooth automatic exposure feature in the "Time-lapse" application ver. 2.00 and later

What kind of image improvements are there? Is it only for JPEG? Or RAW shooting is also affected?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:

What kind of image improvements are there? Is it only for JPEG? Or RAW shooting is also affected?

Apparently it only affects high ISO JPEGs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated my A7 today.
Camera does boot a little faster, especially when switched on and off again fast.
I have the subjective feeling that the menues also became a tad faster and low iso (<100) looks slightly better in 100% view; they seem to have completly reworked the JPEG engine, not only high ISOs. Contrast/dynamik range looks noticable different in peaks looks more harmonic and natural in 100% view, , less "artifacti", definately better for my eyes than before. RAW shooting is not affected I think.
I have an AF lens but can't say anything yet, as I've only used the camera indoors today (worked very fast but can't say if faster than before). EDIT: Also no noticable difference at daylight. As fast as always.
Differences are small but it's worth to install the uprade anyway!

100% view
ISO 64
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54671350@N02/13315418373/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:13 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot! However there are some opinions mentioned there aren't any improvements at all:

http://beforethecoffee.com/2014/03/19/sony-firmware-update-a7r/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ver 1.02 was needed to support the FE70-200/4 lens. AF seems a little quicker and startup has improved. Of course startup can be effected by the menu settings. An AF lens will double your startup time. Mine takes 1 sec with a manual lens and 2sec with a AF lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a bit faster AF, general performance & startup is faster, too....as i never shot JPGs, the RAW quality is usually the same. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody did upgrade to Firmware 2.0? Any experience ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a upgrade to A7 II. I upgraded yesterday. Uncompressed RAW makes filesize jump to 47MB. Very hard to see any difference in most cases, but the cRAW looks slightly more harsh if you push EV in post and look in the shadows.

There is a thread about it here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/sony-announced-uncompressed-raw-t72685.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did upgrade A7R to FW 2.0 today, I did connect camera to USB 3.0 slot, everything went smoothly and pretty fast.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they released uncompressed raw for A7R with this firmware update? Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Have they released uncompressed raw for A7R with this firmware update? Surprised

No. Only the second generation cameras have uncompressed raw opinion.