Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

sony a7 battery charging
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: sony a7 battery charging Reply with quote

hello

i get a sony a7 since one month and i always charge the battery with a sony nex 5n battery charger.
Today i try the sony a7 charger that i get in the box:
- plug the usb into the sony a7 : nothink happen
- plug the usb into the sony a7 and turn it on : i got a message that the peripheral is not detect
- i try another usb charger and same think Sad

how to use the official charger and what should happen please ( i don't see any light on the charger )

( the data transfer work without problem with the usb to pc )

thanks a lot

Alain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the dedicated usb-cord in the camera. Then put the other end in an USB socket. Do not turn the camera on. Wait a bit, and a small orange light on the camera will turn on. It indicates that the unit is charging.

It is probably that waiting bit you have missed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought this was an absurd way of doing things. Then I did some research and realised that not all USB ports are equal. The one on the little unit is 1A. If you use a 2.1A it will charge much faster.

Then I got a Jupio Power Vault JPV0040 and is quite happy with this USB-charging thing. My biggest concern is that the usb socket in the camera will wear out. I does not look sturdy enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep shame on Sony, that they do no deliver a separate charging unit with the A7(r)!
Mass production of such a unit is question of pennies.... Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks;

It works !
i don't left it an enough long time and i loocked at the led beside the battery to power up, I didn't see the led next the micro usb jack.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: A7R Battery Charging Reply with quote

I have had an A7R since last year. The battery life is appalling but I didn't realise how bad until today.

I hadn't used the camera for many months. It was left with Meike battery grip, holding a second battery, fitted. So the camera had two batteries, both of which will have had plenty of charge left after the last use.

I have a mains socket with two USB ports. Previously, I have connected one to the camera charging socket and the other to an external charger. I did this today but could not get a charging light at the camera socket. The camera would not give any display when switched on.

After some swapping round of batteries/leads/USB sockets I solved the problem. A partly charged battery from the external charger got the camera to come on. It wanted the date set. It has reverted to factory settings.

Having entered the date, I tried the charging to camera USB again and the light by the camera socket came on and stayed on.

Harold

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have the A7r. If it weren't for the quality of the sensor and the adaptability of other lens mounts, I would have sold it long ago. The battery life is terrible. I now have 5 batteries for a full day out, and a car charger for when I'm out on the prairie. The good news (?) is that third party batteries and wall-mounted chargers are cheap. Shame on Sony.