Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sonnar 40/2.3 + Sony A7R
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Sonnar 40/2.3 + Sony A7R Reply with quote

Sonnar 40/2.3 comes from Rollei XF35 compact camera. I converted it to Sony E:

It's tiny, enjoyable and sharp in the center.
Sony A7R, no post-processing besides resizing. Wide open (no aperture control on lens):

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pictures!

you really used your Sony, how many shots you got?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
nice pictures!

+1

Like always with your custom conversions, unique IQ with special look.

Like 1 small Like 1 small

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
you really used your Sony, how many shots you got?

Typical Sony wear pattern. You don't have to take a lot of photos, if you just keep it inside a bag all the time, it will get polished around the corners. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't mind the cosmetics, but mount is more and more wobbling. And it has ~200k shoots. I'm approaching A7RII, but I'm waiting for A7RIII, maybe prices drop Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the conversion difficult? Your work seems really clean. Nice images produced by this lens too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chudy128314 wrote:
I really don't mind the cosmetics, but mount is more and more wobbling. And it has ~200k shoots. I'm approaching A7RII, but I'm waiting for A7RIII, maybe prices drop Smile

you can change the mount

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
chudy128314 wrote:

you can change the mount

Yes, but I will not have excuse to upgrade then Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
Is the conversion difficult? Your work seems really clean. Nice images produced by this lens too.

After removing lens I used ordinary macro extension ring which was processed on lathe in order to keep proper thickness and size matching the lens. Then I glued the ring to lens and used cheap, slim M42 -> Sony E adapter. It's all about keeping proper distance from sensor and having parts fitting each other.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chudy128314 wrote:

You should also wait for a low cost new Zenit e-mount camera. Rumors are wild! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
chudy128314 wrote:

You should also wait for a low cost new Zenit e-mount camera. Rumors are wild! Very Happy

I know, it's interesting. But damn, I want that Sony A7RII sensor and I bet they'll use A7 one...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chudy128314 wrote:
Teemō wrote:

After removing lens I used ordinary macro extension ring which was processed on lathe in order to keep proper thickness and size matching the lens. Then I glued the ring to lens and used cheap, slim M42 -> Sony E adapter. It's all about keeping proper distance from sensor and having parts fitting each other.

Simple. I forgot that these lenses aren't coupled to a rangefinder so the assembly would have been quite clean to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just a few screws.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my attempt at adapting the Rollei 40/2.3 Sonnar back in 2016.
The 40/2.3 from a Rollei XF 35, transplanted into an early M39 Industar 50 SLR lens, it's not the sharpest lens wide open, I have no aperture mechanism in this adaption, but is nice all the same.

The backside, the outer helicoid glued in place, and the optics + inner helicoid which is one unit, is held in place with a tiny spot of blue Loctite after adjusting for infinity.

My fancy lens cap from a film container.

I have Made a 2nd version, the outer helicoid is glued in from the front in this version.
Taking apart the Rollei is probably the hardest part, the Industar 50 needed very little modification, just a bit of file work to open up the narrowest portion so the outer helicoid will fit in, once it does, you're 95% done, glue the outer helicoid in place, once that's dry/cured, install the optics and mount it to the camera, focus to infinity and add a dab of Loctite or glue to keep the helicoid in place (the Industar helicoid is at infinity throughout this process, and not glued).