Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sonnar 1,5/50mm Contax RF mount/ strange adapter!!!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Sonnar 1,5/50mm Contax RF mount/ strange adapter!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi!
I recently acquired this beauty, a sonnar 1,5/50mm (contax RF mount) witch I would like to mount on my G1. On the lens was attach a verry strange "adapter" and I have no idea what is that Confused !!!!!
Here are some pictures of the lens and the "adapter":

I don't think it's an adapter but may be a part of a camera's mount! Does someone has may be an idea what is that and if I can use that as an adapter???

An other question: the focus ring seems to be out of work (no way to move the ring!) so if I want to use this lens, I would have to let it repair. It seems to be very difficult to open (I see no screw!) but your advise are also welcome! I'm afraid I would have to let it do by a service company , any address from service company who could do that job???
Thanks in advance for your help/advises.
Pascal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations with your purchase! I should have bid a bit more Smile

If I see this right then this is a standard Contax RF mount lens; I see the bayonet on the lens. Such lenses have their focusing helicoid inside the camera and can be focused through a focusing wheel on the camera.

Like this:

I'm not really into Contax RF mount lenses at the moment, but I think adapters are available.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your answer Very Happy ....
Well, it seems then quite difficult to mount this lens on the G1 or it's means that I have to find an adapter with a helicoid ring ....if it does exist Confused .....
I saw some adapter Contax RF/micro 4/3 but without helicoid ring Embarassed .....it's realy too bad Crying or Very sad .......

See you Sunday to the Houten fair Question ....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice lens you got there!!

There are adapters on eBay to adapt Contax RF lenses to m4/3. Be careful as some only adapt the outer flange which takes the wide angles and telephotos, but NOT the 50mm. You can see they don't have the helicoid on the adapter. I've got an example of my setup here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/contax-rf-biogon-21-4-5-samples-t25851.html

The Contax RF adapter converts to M39 LTM, then a LTM to Leica M and finally a Leical M to m4/3 adapter. If you want to get your hands dirty, you can actually use the helicoid and adapter on the camera and secure a Leica M mount on it.

Another good article is here.
http://www.cameraquest.com/adapter.htm

Hope that helps out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is part of camera you got with the lens? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson.c wrote:
That's a nice lens you got there!!
There are adapters on eBay to adapt Contax RF lenses to m4/3. Be careful as some only adapt the outer flange which takes the wide angles and telephotos, but NOT the 50mm. You can see they don't have the helicoid on the adapter. I've got an example of my setup here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/contax-rf-biogon-21-4-5-samples-t25851.html
The Contax RF adapter converts to M39 LTM, then a LTM to Leica M and finally a Leical M to m4/3 adapter. If you want to get your hands dirty, you can actually use the helicoid and adapter on the camera and secure a Leica M mount on it.
Another good article is here.
http://www.cameraquest.com/adapter.htm

Hope that helps out.

Hi Wilson!
Thanks for your reply and for the links Wink ..
Well, the sonnar is probably a good lens but it's mean than if I want to mount this lens on my G1, I would have to buy 3 adapters and then spend probably about 4 times the value of this lens Confused ....if it's the only way to use this lens then it's not a verry good news Confused .....
But I took a look on e-bay and I found this adapter:
http://cgi.ebay.nl/Contax-RF-Nikon-S-to-Micro-4-3-four-thirds-adapter_W0QQitemZ130376673172QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item1e5b0e2794
Could you confirm if it's the right adapter for my lens and if I could focus with this one???

kansalliskala wrote:
It is part of camera you got with the lens? Smile

I'm afraid so Confused ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! You certainly have good taste. I've heard that Amedeo makes one of the best made custom adapter around! This one should work like he's shown in the photos. Since you are using the EVF a very slight difference in the registration distance of Contax RF and Nikon RF would not be a big issue. I would double check to see if it focuses your 50mm to infinity.

As you can see in my photos, with a little care in removing the rear element protector of my Biogon 21mm/4.5 it will mount. However it becomes MUCH heavier than my Lumix 20mm/1.7 pancake lens Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson.c wrote:
Wow! You certainly have good taste. I've heard that Amedeo makes one of the best made custom adapter around! This one should work like he's shown in the photos. Since you are using the EVF a very slight difference in the registration distance of Contax RF and Nikon RF would not be a big issue. I would double check to see if it focuses your 50mm to infinity.

Hi Wilson!
Ok, I will follow this auction......but I'm still not sure if the price of this adapter is not too high for only one lens! I saw beautiful results with this lens mount on Contax and/or Leica M cam but I haven't seen any samples took with the G1 Confused.........
wilson.c wrote:
As you can see in my photos, with a little care in removing the rear element protector of my Biogon 21mm/4.5 it will mount. However it becomes MUCH heavier than my Lumix 20mm/1.7 pancake lens Wink

I took a look on your pictures made with the Biogon and to be honest with you, I'm not really impressed with the results Confused .......I mean I expect better results with this kind of lenses, and I don't think it's coming from the biogon witch is for sure a very good lens.......All that makes me a little bit confused about using old (and expensive) Contax lenses on the G1!!!! And that's why I don't know for sure if I'm ready to spend more than 100€ for just an adapter Embarassed .....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some shots off my Contax RF 50/1.5 in LTM on my GF-1 that I took a week or so ago. Weather's still pretty crap here so not the best for photos X-(

I think the lens is a keeper, but the down side is the additional adapter. If and when you do decide to sell it, I am sure the adapter will not loose too much value Smile

I agree with you on the Biogon shots. They really did not stand out at all. It may be the cropping factor that's messing things up. I remember seeing the film results were quite impressive.

Here are some shots from my lens on a gray day, all wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wilson,
Thanks a lot for the samples Very Happy ...It's for sure not bad at all especially if the weather/light was not so good....Are you sure that the 3rd shot was wide open? DOF looks like quite large and the sharpness is also much higher compare to the other shots Rolling Eyes ......
Anyway, I would like to see more if you have that, especially bokey shot from this lens wide open ....
Thanks again for your help and good advises Very Happy .....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing, I'll try to take some shots over the weekend with the same lens you have and let you know. Hope the weather's improved.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson.c wrote:
Sure thing, I'll try to take some shots over the weekend with the same lens you have and let you know. Hope the weather's improved.

Thanks Very Happy ...
Was this shots not done with the same lens I have???
This afternoon, I have tried the sonnar mount on the D700 (with the adapter M42/Nikon fixed on the mount lens!) and I have got pretty good results, but of course only usable for macro shots Sad ....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for the fun, here are some samples shoot with this lens mount on the Nikon D700:

I can focus at about 15cm from the subject so I guess I've got a rapport from almost 1:1! All the shots are @ f2.8 except nr 3 @ f1.5....
If I can't get an adapter to use this lens on the G1 then I could always use it as a macro lens on the Nikon cam Very Happy .....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Sonnar bokeh! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more shots from my Contax RF Sonnar 50mm 1.5 here.

http://forum.mflenses.com/contax-rf-carl-zeiss-sonnar-50mm-1-5-t26630.html