Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Someone epoxied on the t-mount!! remove??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Someone epoxied on the t-mount!! remove?? Reply with quote

So has anyone got any good suggestions for how I might get this off?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that heat will definitely break down epoxy. If you have a propane torch, you might give that a try. But if this mount is close to glass, I'd seriously think about removing the glass first. Cuz you have to heat the epoxy up to a couple hundred degrees (F, not C).

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I know that heat will definitely break down epoxy. If you have a propane torch, you might give that a try. But if this mount is close to glass, I'd seriously think about removing the glass first. Cuz you have to heat the epoxy up to a couple hundred degrees (F, not C).

A butane torch definitely sounds excessive. One of the members of another forum apparently uses a hot air gun to dismantle bits he has epoxied.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds worth a try. Otherwise its cutting the t-ring and levering...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you need to get it off?
T mount adapters are readily available for all common SLR/mirrorless mounts, so it should be easy to fit it to any 35mm or smaller format (d)SLR... Coverage is likely to be an issue to anything you can't get an adapter for.
It will prove more of a pain to adapt without the T mount.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, a heat gun sounds like a better idea, but only because there's no exposed flame. Heat guns still generate a seriously hot blast of air, so what I wrote about protecting your glass still applies.

You can pick up a heat gun for cheap at Harbor Freight -- if you live in the US. I have one I paid about $15 for. Works great for occasional use.

Oops, sorry, I see you live in the UK. Well, you guys probably have the equivalent to Harbor Freight there.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
T mount adapters are readily available for all common SLR/mirrorless mounts, so it should be easy to fit it to any 35mm or smaller format (d)SLR... Coverage is likely to be an issue to anything you can't get an adapter for.

Well perhaps I should have more accurately said the t-ring is epoxied on, but it has become pretty general usage to refer to the adapter that screws on to the M42x0.75 t-mount thead as a "t-mount". So to use one of eg my PK bayonet t-rings the epoxied on M42 one needs to come off.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
DConvert wrote:

Well perhaps I should have more accurately said the t-ring is epoxied on, but it has become pretty general usage to refer to the adapter that screws on to the M42x0.75 t-mount thead as a "t-mount". So to use one of eg my PK bayonet t-rings the epoxied on M42 one needs to come off.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/M42-Pentax-screw-Lens-to-PK-KR-K-M-Bayonet-Metal-mount-adapter-Ring-Genuine-OEM-/382458599048

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
DConvert wrote:

My T-mount lenses often have the thread mounted just like that but without the epoxy. The three screws securing it to a plain tube at the back of the lens.
I think you'll find the thread there is the M42x0.75, which is designed to be 55mm from the sensor.
Any of these https://www.ebay.com/b/T-Mount-Camera-Lens-Fitting-Adapter-for-Pentax-K-PK-Camera/30059/bn_81967 should adapt it to PK.

Some T2 mount adapters do have small screws like this but they are 2 part ones with a threaded core & a separate bayonet mount the screws allowing the lens to be rotated to be the right way up when mounted.

Normal M42 thread is m42x1 and would have 45.46 registration adapters to PK are also readily available, but I'm pretty sure that not what you have here. The tread pitch can be checked with a filter's male thread (anything from 46 - 82 should have a 0.75 pitch) if the threads interlock perfectly like a zip it's the same pitch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat gun worked like a charm, t-ring unscrewed easily. Getting the last bits of epoxy off was a little tedious.