Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some Wildlife
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Some Wildlife Reply with quote

Vivitar (Tokina) 400mm 1:6.3 and Pentax K-7 for all three. The birds were shot last night, the mule deer tonight.

All comments are welcome and encouraged. Comments on lighting, framing, and composition would be especially appreciated.

Last edited by David on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the deer shot best, very nice mood!

I'm not sure about the last one since it shows the back only, but it's a nice back, I'll give you that. I'm not a big fan of central composition. I would frame the last one differently, a rectangular crop. Leave out the right side of the picture...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't display #1
For #2 a longer focal length would have been a lot better und bird looks slightly OOF
#3 is a bit boring imho. Sorry Smile I bit cropping might help

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. I tried to focus on off-center composition for my shots from the following day. The results were much better.

As for the hummingbird's softness, that will be partly due to the jpg compression, the higher ISO, the 400mm lens being hand-held, and the hummingbird being on the top of a tree in the wind. Not an ideal shoot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="David"]Thank you both. I tried to focus on off-center composition for my shots from the following day. The results were much better.

Otstanding really good one, love it

Although I love that one better Wink and I hope that you don't mind what I did

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the deer most.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind at all Nurkov. I had some I took without the distant mountains, too.

And yes, Minolfan, I agree that the deer is the best. You know how sometimes you take a photo and you know it's just going to be of the best for the year? I think that's going to be one of my best photos this year. Everything just aligned well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deer is the best!
Great timing, golden hour.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
The deer is the best!
Great timing, golden hour.

+1 magical!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deer shot looks nice, but a bit underexposed to me. I also like the shot of the bird in the yellow sky. Great mood Smile