Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some thoughts, flowers and bugs...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Some thoughts, flowers and bugs... Reply with quote

The last 4 months I have barely touched the camera, having serious doubts about me possessing even the smallest "photographic feel"; I don't want wow results but latelly I was so dissapointed about any of the photos I took, so I decided to buy a point-and-shoot and give up my toys, starting with the first one that came handy...but first I took it for a last ride. Maybe it was sunny weather or shutter sound , however I had a lot of fun , so I changed my mind (again) . I will keep everything and try to learn as much as I can ... This community is a good source for a novice so I'll keep reading.
If you find this thread to "soft" you should know that I couldn't find the counselor thread anywhere in the forum, so I decided to post here Smile
Some samples of my walk, I think this was the first time I was playing near macro:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you.
Kodak wrote several books about it.
They called them "The Joy of Photography"
A lot of people with expensive equipment haven't discovered this yet.
You are ahead of the game.
Go get em!
OH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are in focus and well exposed,keep shooting and try to walk around subject taking shots also from different levels,get down low,shoot from above etc. you will not only get better but will enjoy it more.Your shots are promising.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, I agree with Old Hand as well, we get far to hung up on having the best equipment, especially when taking this kind of detailed nature shot. A great source of inspiration for me are the books by Freeman Patterson, especially 'Photography and the art of seeing'. He doesn't mention anything about the gear other than the focal length and aperture that he's used for a shot. It's all about recording what we see, and I like that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OH and kryss for the kind words.
Kryss I´ve tried different angles but those bees were not disciplined enough. They kept moving all the time without sense and logic 1m above my head ... didn´t care about me having to use the long focus throw, they wouldn´t listen Wink

I guess I have to be patient and learn to see all the possibilities of a given situation.
Have to practice more ..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos are great. I barely noticed the b/w photo with the out of focus bee at first, but now it is my favorite of the bunch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greart shots! Our member Calvin used to say "the best camera is the one you have with you", so that proves the point.
Very often I just carry my iphone with me, and the results are often not that bad Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series!

lucca1x wrote:
I don't want wow results but latelly I was so dissapointed about any of the photos I took

results doesn't matter, spotting and framing the bug is all the pleasure, if a pic is good, it's just an extra

I have a big wild garden and my wife ask me why I cut only half of it, I tell her it's about style, I cannot explain I care about my friends grasshoppers, spiders & co

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Our member Calvin used to say "the best camera is the one you have with you"

I 100% agree. In fact I think only a small part of the deal is about the gear. One need to cover focal lengths, a film or sensor back and to know how everything works. Quality equipment is welcome but doesn't guarantee results. That's why beginners like me have troubles understanding why doesn't the results come quickly. In music I think is the same: I know the musical notes and signs, I can read a score, love listening to music, learned the instrument method and some tehnique , but a six year old girl plays the piano better than me, she doesn't have an expensive piano, nor practice a lot but her hearing and mind are different. This comparison is a bit pessimistic for me. Practice doesn't suffice and if you are not born with a special talent ... have to quit or learn to work hard and appreciate the baby steps evolution.

I don't compete with children, is unfair to adults, but the above mentioned girl has now interest in photography... if she'll get better pictures than me, I'll stick to watching others work ... Smile

kds315* wrote:
Very often I just carry my iphone with me, and the results are often not that bad Wink

Those smartphone cameras got better and better. I saw a Bentley commercial shot with Iphone. Of course there was a lot of grading, PP and extra equipment involved, but IMHO the result is excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
A great source of inspiration for me are the books by Freeman Patterson, especially 'Photography and the art of seeing'. He doesn't mention anything about the gear other than the focal length and aperture that he's used for a shot. It's all about recording what we see, and I like that.

I've promised myself to study more PRINTED books and albums. I'm inclined to believe to much digital content is wrong for me. It's somehow discrepant because I'm in IT and like the job, but ...Thanks for recommending Patterson. Wasn't familiar with his writings.

poilu wrote:
my wife ask me why I cut only half of it, I tell her it's about style

Is nice to have wife's "blessing".
Didn't work for me. She wasn't impressed with vintage gear on bookshelves. "They are black and ugly, move them !" followed by something I didn't quite understood in german. I did move them Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter before last I didn't feel like I was getting a decent quota of pleasing images. But spring came around, the light improved - and so did the pics!