Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some rare Chinese "ultra micro" lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Some rare Chinese "ultra micro" lenses Reply with quote

Hi members,

I have picked up some hard to find Chinese micro reduction lenses that were made for printing or lithography industry.
They were mentioned on some Chinese optical books, but seems never sold on open market, so I have no idea of their prices. The 120mm F4 lenses even have two versions made in 1972 and 1979.

I have not tried them all, but the 50/4 (e) 1/50 one that I used through an adaptor produced sharp image quality. The build quality and finish of these lenses are also similar to Nikon Ultra Mciro lenses.

I post some images of the lenses FYI. So far, I have found an 16mm F1.6(d), 28mm F1.7(e), 55mm F4(e), 55mm F1.8 (very big), 120mm F4(very big), and have seen others such as a 100mm f 2.8..... According to their S/Ns, most were made at the end of 1970's or early 1980's.

Cheers,

Zhang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More images. Smile

These lenses always have metal front and rear caps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More images. It is hard to find information on the web for these lenses. They look similar to Nikon's ultra micro lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttt2002 took some images with
a Fujian 100mm f2.8 on a mirror-less 4/3 camera. I borrowed an image FYI.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, thanks for posting.
I see at least some of them were made by Seagull... I have a Haiou-64, the "Chinese biotar". Actually not a bad lens. Hopefully yours perform well too Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Some rare Chinese "ultra micro" lenses Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
According to their S/Ns, most were made at the end of 1970's or early 1980's.

So, these are still true Communist lenses, not Comm-Lib lenses as today Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Some rare Chinese "ultra micro" lenses Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
kievuser wrote:

Yes. Laughing As you can see from their brand name- 'east wind'. Red Flag-20 rangefinder camera and East-wind 120 SLR were also made at about the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:
Very interesting, thanks for posting.
I see at least some of them were made by Seagull... I have a Haiou-64, the "Chinese biotar". Actually not a bad lens. Hopefully yours perform well too Smile

Yes, a 120/4 WS5 was made by Shanghai Camera Factory in 1972, and later the lens was made by Shanghai Nr.3 Camera Factory that mainly made some military products.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Some rare Chinese "ultra micro" lenses Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
Orio wrote:
kievuser wrote:

Yes. Laughing As you can see from their brand name- 'east wind'.

Never thought that "East wind" is a politically loaded commie term. Wink Nice find though, looking forward to your commie pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Some rare Chinese "ultra micro" lenses Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
kievuser wrote:
Orio wrote:
kievuser wrote:

Yes. Laughing As you can see from their brand name- 'east wind'.

Never thought that "East wind" is a politically loaded commie term. Wink Nice find though, looking forward to your commie pictures.

Sorry, I don't take commie,Nazi, or rotten capitalist pictures with whatever lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like their Japanese counterparts, these lenses aperture also goes to F8 only. They usually have a resolution of 600-1000+ lp/mm,and minimum distortion. This Shanghai Nr.3 Camera factory made 55mm F1.8 is very rare. This seems the only one that has ever appeared on the web. Very Happy They are not as good as those 35mm movie lenses for photography, but I am just curious about what they can do.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:

Interesting f-stop: f/1.28! Looks like they targeted a T1.4.

Neat collection - I would like to see sample images taken with its members.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting! Thanks for share!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
kievuser wrote:

Interesting f-stop: f/1.28! Looks like they targeted a T1.4.

Neat collection - I would like to see sample images taken with its members.

Those Arri standard mount movie lenses are easy to use on mirrorless cameras with an adaptor. But a friend of mine modefied a 75/2 lens for a DSLR. Here are couple of images he took with this lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another guy also used Fujian 100/2.8 lens to take pictures. I think the lens has a high contrast and resolving power.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An image of the Ganguang 75/2 movie lens and a Russian Volna 50/2.8 macro for size comparison. The movie lens is quite compact. Very Happy

But the Changcheng (Great Wall) 35/1.28 is about the same size as a Jupiter-9.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I hope to see pictures taken with them here!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Very nice, I hope to see pictures taken with them here!

I just took a few quick shots with the 35mm f1.28/T1.4. It is not good wide open, but quite nice if stopped down. This image was shot at F8 on an Olympus EPL2. Only resized without sharpenning. Very Happy
Another image is a 100% crop at the center.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been puzzled with an old Chinese lithographic lens for years, and today, the mystery was finally solved. Laugh 1

A forum member 卡卡猪 published his 55mm F3,2 lens with a dark green filter in LN condition. It was made for the semiconductor indusry. But the material of the green filter is still a mestery. Both lenses were made in 1973 with very close S/Ns( 731059-731063). Probably only a handful of such lenses were made. It appears much less often seen than a later 55mm F4 version lens also with a dark green filter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
An image of the Ganguang 75/2 movie lens and a Russian Volna 50/2.8 macro for size comparison. The movie lens is quite compact. Very Happy

But the Changcheng (Great Wall) 35/1.28 is about the same size as a Jupiter-9.

Today. I briefly compared this Ganguang 75/2 lens with lenses I aquired recently, Olympus 35-70/3.6, OM 35-70/4, Nikon Ai 35-70/3.5, Nikon Ais 35-70/3.5, Canon FD 28-85/4, OM 75-150/4 at 70-75mm F5.6. And not surprisingly, the cine prime 75/2 Ganguang is the sharpest of them all except for different color renditions. Laugh 1 And it is the lightest and smalllest in size, so it is very suitable for half frame cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an image from the net that showed the prices of Nikon Ultra Micro lenses. Those are real gems of lenses. Like 1 A 300mm F1.4g lens could cost 2,600,000.00 Yen in 1971, and that is 65 times of the average Japanese monthly salary then, or more than twice of the price of a Nikon 300mm F2 ED IF lens, 32.5 times of a Nikon F camera plus a 50/1.4 lens.

A cine price lens such as Changcheng 50/2 was also very expensive. It could cost about 30 months salary of a young Chinese worker back in 1970's.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information for one of the reduciton lens. It is very hard to find information for these lenses.This page is found from 中华相机网。Thanks!

You can find image of this large field 55mm F4 lens from above posts.It has an image circle of 40mm , so it almost cover the 43mm circle for full 35mm frame. It has a back focul distance of 40.22mm, so it is easy to adapt to a digital camera,and it has a resolving power of 300 lp/mm, and a distortion of < 0.03%.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
kievuser wrote:

Today. I briefly compared this Ganguang 75/2 lens with lenses I aquired recently, Olympus 35-70/3.6, OM 35-70/4, Nikon Ai 35-70/3.5, Nikon Ais 35-70/3.5, Canon FD 28-85/4, OM 75-150/4 at 70-75mm F5.6. And not surprisingly, the cine prime 75/2 Ganguang is the sharpest of them all except for different color renditions. Laugh 1 And it is the lightest and smalllest in size, so it is very suitable for half frame cameras.

That Ganguang f2/75mm lens reminds me a lot of my russian PO2-2M f2/75mm lens, maybe there was a little help from the "russian friends"? Wink

That latter russian model t is a very sharp lens indeed, posted about it a few days ago here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/russian-po2-2m-f2-75mm-cine-and-spring-t77214.html

It tends to be a bit warmer (= missing some blue transmission) due to some browning glass,
your chinese one seem to have the same effect...

Last edited by kds315* on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
Information for one of the reduciton lens. It is very hard to find information for these lenses.This page is found from 中华相机网。Thanks!

You can find image of this large field 55mm F4 lens from above posts.It has an image circle of 40mm , so it almost cover the 43mm circle for full 35mm frame. It has a back focul distance of 40.22mm, so it is easy to adapt to a digital camera,and it has a resolving power of 300 lp/mm, and a distortion of < 0.03%.

Very nice you found some docu!! Unfortunately all those lenses are for one wavelength only, and usually used with special narrowband filters
(Like the one you showed which has teh filter built in for 540nm most likely = green) Using them with white light yields much lower resolution
and quite a bit visible CA. The reason why I actually sold my Micro Nikkors!!

Last edited by kds315* on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
kievuser wrote:

Very nice you found some docu!! Unfortunately all those lenses are for one wavelength only, and usually used with special narrowband filters.
Using them with white light yileds much lower resolution and quite a bit visible CA. The reason why I actually sold my Micro Nikkors!!

Those Nikon ultra micros are very expensive! It would be wise to sell them if they couldn't produce superior images. Have you tried to shoot B/W with filters on? I don't recall ever seen an Ultra Micro Nikkor with such a large image circle as this Chinese one. They usually has an image circle of 7-8mm only for required resolutions.