Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some pics with Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 0.95/50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Some pics with Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 0.95/50mm Reply with quote

On Sony NEX-5n, the Xenon has an almost imperceptible vignette wide-open which increases a little stopped down. It may require a touch of cropping occasionally but very little. It is a big heavy lens even with the thin c-mount adapter but stopping down with the stepless aperture and very smooth focusing action makes it usable. It is tricky to focus it wide open though but after a few days I am getting a hang of it I think.

To be honest I was doubtful at first but I think it's a magical lens and especially if you don't mind the bulk and can get it at a reasonable price, I think it is worth it. It is very contrasty with vivid colours throughout. Wide open it is sharp enough to be usable if you nail the focus but renders in a dreamy painterly way and sometimes creates this swirly bokeh that some people love and others hate. The OOF is generally very pleasing (at least to my eyes) Stopped down to f2 and above it becomes quite sharp indeed but still seems to maintain a nice (not swirly) bokeh.

Anyway here are some test pics - a look is worth a thousand words they say.

Oh, I should mention that mine isn't a perfect copy - there is some damage on the coating of one of the rear elements, but probably not significant. So there could be better results to be had with the Xenon, I don't know.

Last edited by DanielT74 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some kinds of images, it's awesome Cool and some others not so good Sad

I love "getting used to" a new lens and finding it's strengths Very Happy

I really love the portrait of the guy sitting at a table reading a magazine, and the bridge shot too Cool

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.
To be sincere, I was expecting some thing of more impact, considering the Schneider name... but still it's on the same image quality level of other top brands superfast lenses such as Nikon or Canon.
From what I have seen, I have to say that the Planar 1.2/55 Contax and the new Leica Noctilux 0.95 (rangefinder) look more contrasted and defined. But one must also consider that this Schneider lens is more than half stop faster than the Contax, and at such extreme apertures, even a half stop means a world of difference. As for the Leica Noctilux, it costs more than 6000 Euros, so it might well be a bit better...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems to me this lens has a rather unique quality in render color skin tones that i like, but thats of course subjective. i think for color portraits this is a very interesting combination.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: I commented the wide open pictures. Stopped down, the lens gains a lot more contrast and sparkle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you Graham and rbelyell. Yes, I am enjoying learning to use this beast! The f/0.95 is quite a challenge sometimes but NEX-5n makes the job just about as easy as it can be (viewfinder would make it even easier I guess).

Orio wrote:
Interesting.
To be sincere, I was expecting some thing of more impact, considering the Schneider name... but still it's on the same image quality level of other top brands superfast lenses such as Nikon or Canon.
From what I have seen, I have to say that the Planar 1.2/55 Contax and the new Leica Noctilux 0.95 (rangefinder) look more contrasted and defined. But one must also consider that this Schneider lens is more than half stop faster than the Contax, and at such extreme apertures, even a half stop means a world of difference. As for the Leica Noctilux, it costs more than 6000 Euros, so it might well be a bit better...

Yes, those are probably not fair comparisons. Canon 50/0.95 would be more appropriate and from what I've seen, the Schneider is a more capable lens.

Again, since mine is not a perfect copy others may do better, I am not sure.

What I am finding with it is that while it is not technically perfect at least at f0.95-f1.4 it creates lovely textures and adds an artistic quality to ordinary images at wide apertures. Stopped down it is extremely sharp:

100% crop:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the flower picture Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, when you said it rendered almost a painter-like quality, my jaw dropped on seeing the first photo of the girl. It just resembles an oil painting that is typically displayed in the Louvre, especially the Renaissance style. Me and wife got a chance to travel to Europe early last year (really far) and the visits to the museums was a treat.

The pink flower shot is gorgeous too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Nordentro and qt. Yes, the first picture suggested painting very strongly to me (I have oil painting background before photography) and all I did was enhance the contrast a little with dodge and burn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that the standard c-mount adapter must be too thin for it - the focusing scale if off considerably and closest focus is at over 1m which is annoying. I sometimes unscrew it a bit to increase that but obviously that's not optimal. Not sure if this is an idiosynchrasy of my copy or if it needs another adapter. Anyone knows anything about it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielT74 wrote:
I should add that the standard c-mount adapter must be too thin for it - the focusing scale if off considerably and closest focus is at over 1m which is annoying. I sometimes unscrew it a bit to increase that but obviously that's not optimal. Not sure if this is an idiosynchrasy of my copy or if it needs another adapter. Anyone knows anything about it?

I've ran into that problem with other lenses. You need a set of rings. I'm not sure where you buy them seperately, but look at the rings in this ad. This is like the set I have.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: some more pics with the extension ring (but it's too thick!) Reply with quote

tired:

Someone here once said that portraits should not be shot at below f/1.4. This is at f/0.95 and very close, I think it works. What do you think?

To add a few more comments on this lens after a few more weeks of using it:

1. It handles CA very well, in particular PF is not a major issue.
2. It can suffer from veiling flare

My copy apparently has schneideritis which shouldn't affect IQ and I am prepared to believe it except for the flare. Would like to hear from other users.

What makes this lens a joy for me is the lovely rendition wide open. People may not like the portrait above for expression/composition, but the rendition stands out for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another try, this time a little stopped down:

Last edited by DanielT74 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for showing these pictures!
I love fast lenses - and I think the portrait images look very good, I would be happy to see more.
I own the 25/0.95 sister, but have not used it up to now (lack of camera for that register distance at home - and the cameras at work need a labtop and power connection).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the interest!

Shot some pics with it today:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: 25/0,95 Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Thank you for showing these pictures!
I love fast lenses - and I think the portrait images look very good, I would be happy to see more.
I own the 25/0.95 sister, but have not used it up to now (lack of camera for that register distance at home - and the cameras at work need a labtop and power connection).

The RJ adapter that fits the 50/0,95 to M 3/4 also fits the 25. A small, but total vignetting area in the corners.

p.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 25/0,95 Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:

The RJ adapter that fits the 50/0,95 to M 3/4 also fits the 25. A small, but total vignetting area in the corners.

p.

Thank you - but I have Canon EOS cameras. So there is still a problem. I made some macro images with the Xenon and EOS 1000D, but this was far away from its designed working distance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have enough words to explain the shock I had by watching these pics. Like Boyer's lenses, this one is just amazing. The sharpness is insane.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ManuallyYours, though I suppose the compliments go to Schneider optical designers!

It's actually quite tricky to get a sharp picture out of this lens at f/0.95 and I am still learning, but I tried again on the weekend!

Close up, the portraits can't help but look soft due to most of the face being out of focus. Here the eyes are actually sharp:

It is a joy to use though, even at 1kg and I see that some of the members agree since I already got an offer! First time people contact me about buying a lens that is not on the market.