Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some photos from my MF lens collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Some photos from my MF lens collection Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums as a user but have been a long time reader of the forums.

I have always been a lover of manual focus lens and am using an adapter for my m42 mounts to my Ef-M EOS M camera.
I shoot most anything and everything with my Helios lens 44M-4 and 44-2 58mm series. To me so far from usage the 44M-4 is my sharpest lens yet, while the 44-2 tends to swirl more on the bokeh.

Below are sample photos I have taken with them.
the Helios 44M-4 2/58 wide open on a canon EOS-M : Iso 200 1/160 coupled with a vivitar 550FD auto thyristor flash set to A1 pointed 90degrees with a homemade bubblewrap diffuser.

the Helios 44M-4 2/58 wide open on a canon EOS-M : Iso 100 1/125 coupled with a vivitar 550FD auto thyristor flash set to A1 pointed 90degrees with a homemade bubblewrap diffuser.

the Helios 44-2 2/58 wide open on a canon EOS-M : Iso 200 1/125 coupled with a vivitar 550FD auto thyristor flash set to A1 pointed 90degrees bounced to ceiling.

the Helios 44-2 2/58 @f8 on a canon EOS-M : Iso 200 1/125 coupled with a vivitar 550FD auto thyristor flash set to A1 pointed 75degrees bounced to ceiling.

more images as go, but so far I'm completely inlove with these m42 lens, so much that I shoot weddings and events with them.

Last edited by spectroplasm on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Some photos from my MF lens collection Reply with quote

Links and images in your first post don't show up - it's an anti-spam measure. You will be fine from now on.

spectroplasm wrote:
Hello everyone, I am new to the forums as a user but have been a long time reader of the forums.

I have always been a lover of manual focus lens and am using an adapter for my m42 mounts to my Ef-M EOS M camera.
I shoot most anything and everything with my Helios lens 44M-4 and 44-2 58mm series. To me so far from usage the 44M-4 is my sharpest lens yet, while the 44-2 tends to swirl more on the bokeh.

Below are sample photos I have taken with them.
the Helios 44M-4 2/58 wide open on a canon EOS-M : Iso 200 1/160 coupled with a vivitar 550FD auto thyristor flash set to A1 pointed 90degrees with a homemade bubblewrap diffuser.

the Helios 44M-4 2/58 wide open on a canon EOS-M : Iso 100 1/125 coupled with a vivitar 550FD auto thyristor flash set to A1 pointed 90degrees with a homemade bubblewrap diffuser.

the Helios 44-2 2/58 wide open on a canon EOS-M : Iso 200 1/125 coupled with a vivitar 550FD auto thyristor flash set to A1 pointed 90degrees bounced to ceiling.

the Helios 44-2 2/58 @f8 on a canon EOS-M : Iso 200 1/125 coupled with a vivitar 550FD auto thyristor flash set to A1 pointed 75degrees bounced to ceiling.

more images as go, but so far I'm completely inlove with these m42 lens, so much that I shoot weddings and events with them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helios are wonderful lenses, they always deliver exactly what you ask of them. Very nice pictures, welcome to our friendly forums as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, thanks I was wondering why they were working just a minute ago and then all showed up as broken links soon after.

Is there a preferred way to post images without the anti-spam kicking in?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti-spam won't apply to you anymore. As for preferred way, it's better to upload the images using "upload picture" button so that they won't disappear when/if you change your image host provider. However, this has no effect on anti-spam.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noted thanks Very Happy

I will use the upload picture function instead from now on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the first post you'll be ok, it's just to stop spammers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Attila,
Here are some new lens I got today:
a SICOR-XL MC 28mm f2.8 no dust nor fungus spotted, it's FD mount I'll remove the FD to make it m42 later on
a Yashica ML 50 f1.7 Pentax K mount I think. will also be turned into a m42, some dust particles stuck inside the lens, will clean them out later, no fongus or haze
and a Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f2 some scratches on the front element though I didn't see them on images when I tested out, and I don't know for sure if it's hazing on me or if it's the blue coating that makes it look like that. I have shot with it a couple of times and didn't notice any anomalies in the pictures, the focus ring is a bit stiff I don't know how to open this one up as it seems different from the Helios alternatives. any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biotar front plate is removable , once front plate removed you can see where you can open it with spanner wrench.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectroplasm wrote:
Thank you very much Attila,

Which PSP do you have? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectroplasm..Welcome to the best photo forum anywhere but beware LBA is highly contagious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectroplasm, I'm curious to know how you're going to convert your lenses to m42. I'd love to see to photos of the conversion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
spectroplasm..Welcome to the best photo forum anywhere but beware LBA is highly contagious.

I'm enjoying my stay Smile, LBA = Left Byte Addressing? Razz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cropshy wrote:
Spectroplasm, I'm curious to know how you're going to convert your lenses to m42. I'd love to see to photos of the conversion.

Sure thing I'll take pictures of the conversion. For the yashica it's pretty easy since it's got the metallic back plate that is the K mount, I just unscrew the 4 screws that hold it in place and I will replace it with a m42 backplate from a dead Pentaflex Color lens I had, the only thing I need to figure out is how I am going to control the iris. the thickness of the m42 plate is bigger than that of the yashica one, so I'll have to shim it down a bit. Pics later

@SkvLTD : I've got the original PSP-1000 series Smile still the best one I think, withstands my toddler's endless tossing habits.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectroplasm..LBA= Lens buying addiction.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught on to the LBA thing thanks Smile and I must admit it is rather addicting indeed. So far my lens collection are:

Industar 50-2 f3.5
black Helios 44-2 2/58 f2
blueish aluminum Helios 44-2 2/58 f2
Yashica ML 50 f1.7
Pentaflex Color 50 f2.8
black Helios 44M-4 58 f2
Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58 f2
Tair 3-S 300 f4.5
SICOR-XL MC 50 f2.8
Hanimex 135 f2.8

I'm using all of them on my canon EOS-M after selling my canon 5D2 to my sister. I'm completely in love with the manual mounts ever since my grandpa handed me his Zenit camera which had the Industar 50-2 lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep going.. Soon your colllection will get bigger Wink
The 'Caracter' and 'Joy of use' of some legacy lenses is fantastic.
Also I would suggest you to get some other focal lengths like 35mm, 85mm...
Regards

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectroplasm..I will soon be selling a great # of SLR cameras and lenses,Pentax.Contax/Yashica,Canon FD,Konica Omega,Hasselblad 500,Nikon F4 and more PM me if interested

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
spectroplasm..I will soon be selling a great # of SLR cameras and lenses,Pentax.Contax/Yashica,Canon FD,Konica Omega,Hasselblad 500,Nikon F4 and more PM me if interested

any supertaks in there? say 85 or a Gelios 40-2 85?

I want more, been searching for 35's but rare where I live.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm me with items you would like,where do you live?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
pm me with items you would like,where do you live?

I live accross the globe from where you are, Madagascar to be precise. I'll send PM later tomorrow Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: lenses Reply with quote

Kryss,

I am sure many members (including myself) would be interested in checking the list of to be deported lenses...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectroplasm...Wow what a beautiful place to live,I am sure you do not have the type of weather we are experiencing in North America.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

listera..noted,and where do you live?