Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some old takes from Stavanger
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Some old takes from Stavanger Reply with quote

Some old pictures of mine from Stavanger, March 1998 so exactly 10 years ago, not at all my best from there but the first to have found the way to the scanner.
They were taken with cheap Scotch film (probably expired) and a very humble lens, the Sigma Delta zoom 55-200 - so please understand the limitations (due to little money in my pockets).
The camera was the Nikon FM2 New.

Last edited by Orio on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos, especially those with the houses. The colors are ok and the contrast too. It seems ok except thet some shot have a blue tint . Is that from the scanner ? I look for the location too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stavanger , nice place.
When its about film, and especially negative film, I think the most important component is the film, the lens and only after, the camera, mostly because you don't need a very precise light meter but in case you shoot on slides.
It seems that that Sigma behaves better on shorter focal lengts than towards the tele where quality seems lower.
Thank you very much for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap lens perhaps influences image quality but not composition.
And some of these shots are really well composed!

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Nice photos, especially those with the houses. The colors are ok and the contrast too. It seems ok except thet some shot have a blue tint . Is that from the scanner ?

No, the blue cast is the natural sky cast where the sunlight does not arrive. You can see, in the blueish images, that the sunlight, bright yellow, is very lateral. All the left part of the harbor was in the shade.
On the contrary, there is a magenta cast that comes from the fact that the film (slides) were cheap film bought cheaply in a stock where the release date was near or over. In some shot I was less successful removing it than others.
Another thing to keep in mind is that these slides have been scanned after 10 years. Unfortunately, the colours, especially in cheap film, is not very stable over the years.

Quote:
When its about film, and especially negative film, I think the most important component is the film, the lens and only after, the camera, mostly because you don't need a very precise light meter but in case you shoot on slides.

I shoot only slides when I am in vacation.
At home, I also shoot B&W film. Very rarely I use negative film. Today, even less than before, because the Agfa Optima film (my favourite) is not available anymore.
The one thing I am very happy with film, is how it renders the sea. It gives something special to the sea. An organic quality where digital fails. If I compare my takes of sea with digital, and with film, I always choose the film.

Quote:
It seems that that Sigma behaves better on shorter focal lengts than towards the tele where quality seems lower.
Thank you very much for sharing.

Yes it works better on the wide end. It was a very cheap lens. It is very sharp, sharper than many lenses I have, but only at f/8. Before, it's muddy and with bad corner resolution and vignetting. I should sell it, but I am sentimentally affectioned to it, so I keep it.

LucisPictor wrote:
A cheap lens perhaps influences image quality but not composition.
And some of these shots are really well composed!

Thanks Carsten. I am very happy of #7 and #9 because the sea has kept the poetic quality I saw in it when I photographed it.
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're strong sense of composition really comes through.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed this thread but the scans came at great! And cheap film, too,
amazing!

Tough to pick faves, but I believe they would be the first and last shots.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Some old takes from Stavanger Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Some old pictures of mine from Stavanger, March 2008 so exactly 10 years ago

Orio, loved the pictures, but surely March 2008 was about a week or so ago, not ten years? lol Razz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Some old takes from Stavanger Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Orio wrote:
Some old pictures of mine from Stavanger, March 2008 so exactly 10 years ago

Orio, loved the pictures, but surely March 2008 was about a week or so ago, not ten years? lol Razz

Yes, sorry, it was 1998. I will correct the OP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots you caught some beautiful light.

I participated a couple of years ago in an architectural competition to redesign a masterplan for this very harbour...

It probably will not look like this forever...