Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some holiday snaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Some holiday snaps Reply with quote

1 tamron sp 90 A young possibly female blckbird didn't mind me coming within 4 foot of her.

2 Hadrian's Wall. Built by the Romans to keep out the Scotts now visited by Germans and Japanese Laughing Tamron SP 70-210

3. I dont remember the part of the bible where they cooked a sheeps head!

4. Tamron SP 90

5.Tamron SP 90

7. tamron SP 70-210

8. sigma 17-70 How English is that!

9. My home for the last week, tamron SP 70-210

10. tamron SP 70-210

11 tamron SP 70-210 Dawn over the Honister pass Lake District.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, some nice snaps from a great lens! The last one would make for a
large mural on a wall! Did you see any brochs around? Would like to
see some pics of those, thought to be built by the Picts, but there's some
argument over that.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos Very Happy ... I really love the photo of the bird.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that tamron SP 90mm macro looks like a nice lens.

Not as sharp as the Kiron 105mm it seems, but still, with some subtle unsharp mask in post-processing I doubt you'd notice much difference.

Has a nice bokeh too!

These are going for very fair prices on ebay nowadays. If I didnt already have the kiron I'd buy one Smile

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the holiday snapshots Bob. My favorite is n.10, but I also like 1, 2, 3, 7 and 8.

I would like to visit there one day. The wall of Adriano is very interesting, I read that a gate somewhere along it is still existing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Well done!

Ha! Hadrian kept the Scots away but not the Germans! Ha! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
brochs around
not sure what they are but I saw a few Bastles (fortified farm houses) that area around the wall has always been an area for raiding parties from either side. So plenty of historic buildings and ruins. The Roman fort I visited had partial remains of the double gate way, one of which had been blocked up presumably for defensive reasons. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/conProperty.80

Orio there are some parts that are almost complete not much though. Much of it was taken for building a long time ago. Still you see place names with wall in them which mark its path. It never occurred to me that Wallsend in Newcastle was literally that. It stretched right over to Carlisle + a bit more to the sea it is an absolutely mind boggling engineering feat with only bare hands and basic tools it just shows you how much of a threat the Northern Tribes were! Plus I think the weather deterred the Sun loving Italians from venturing further! But to my knowledge despite the size of the Roman Empire and the threats they faced elsewhere no other wall was built like this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:

Orio there are some parts that are almost complete not much though. Much of it was taken for building a long time ago. Still you see place names with wall in them which mark its path. It never occurred to me that Wallsend in Newcastle was literally that. It stretched right over to Carlisle + a bit more to the sea it is an absolutely mind boggling engineering feat with only bare hands and basic tools it just shows you how much of a threat the Northern Tribes were! Plus I think the weather deterred the Sun loving Italians from venturing further! But to my knowledge despite the size of the Roman Empire and the threats they faced elsewhere no other wall was built like this.

I saw a documentary once where they showed how the wall was when in its entire shape and it was huge! High, and with fortified gates every kilometer or so. There were two parallel walls actually - so that those who may get past the first one, were sort of "trapped" in a narrow space between the two lines.
Not something technologically advanced compared to other Roman constructions such as aquaducts, but impressive for the size, and the literally tenths of thousands of people necessary to build it. They said that a whole economy was born because of the wall! Just behind it, cultivated fields to provide food for the armies, and activities like shoe builders, cloth makers etc.

I think that more than the sun factor Wink it was simply a "phisiological" factor that made Adrianus not want to go further north: he knew that Rome just didn't have enough men to successfully control all lands of such a large empire. They recruited new soldiers amongst the conquered territories, but those new armies were not trained and equipped and coordinated enough to be really useful. I think Adrianus knew that if they tried to go further north, they may have been able to conquer more land, but they would have not been able to control it, against very fierce populations such as Scots.

Actually I seem to remember that a few years after Adrianus, another emperor built a similar wall further north, but it resisted only a few years because they could not control the territtory. So Adrianus ultimately proved to be right in his decision to build more south.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
another emperor built a similar wall further north, but it resisted only a few years because they could not control the territtory.

Quite correct Orio - The Antonine Wall:

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/features/featurefirst989.html

There is strong evidence that the Romans ventured even further north than the Antonine Wall with remains of forts being found around the Gask area in Perthshire:

http://www.theromangaskproject.org.uk/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDN wrote:
If I didnt already have the kiron I'd buy one Smile

Tom

I have both, they have different character and Tamron goes macro 1:2 without extension rings. I recommended to buy Tamron too even if you have Kiron 105mm f/2.8 already.Tamron SP can be same sharp as Kiron.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I may have used the 70-210 on the bird shot come to think of it. I had never heard of the Antonine wall! Other reasons for not taking scotland was the fragmented nature of the clans there was no major battle to fight so would be waging a kind of guerilla war and for very limited resources in return. There were great forests in Scotland but that's about it Oil and whisky were yet to come I think! The English had the right idea by (eventually) getting the clans to fight amongst themselves by buying out some as allies and creating distrust and infighting and treachery thereby weakening them. As Robert Burns said "We are bought and sold for English gold Such a parcel of rogues in a nation"

What force or guile could not subdue
Through many warlike ages
Is wrought now by a coward few
For hireling traitor's wages.
The English steel we could disdain,
Secure in valour's station;
But English gold has been our bane -
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!

O, would, or I had seen the day
That Treason thus could sell us,
My old grey head had lain in clay (be buried)
With Bruce and loyal Wallace!
But pith and power, till my last hour
I will make this declaration :-
'We are bought and sold for English gold'-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!