Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor Miranda 5.8cm f1.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Soligor Miranda 5.8cm f1.5 Reply with quote

Uncommon lens.
Does anyone have knowledge or experience of this lens please.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, Tom.
https://www.oldlens.com/miranda%20soligor%2058mmf15.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Here you go, Tom.

Great - thank you Walter.
Rare it seems
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
walter g wrote:
Here you go, Tom.

Rare it seems
Tom

Your welcome. The one thing I don't think they
Mentioned in the link is that it is made by Kowa.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
walter g wrote:
Here you go, Tom.

Rare it seems
Tom

So is it one of the later lenses or one of the earlier?
If later and they already had the 1.4/50 - seems odd
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
walter g wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
walter g wrote:
Here you go, Tom.

Rare it seems
Tom

Tom

The 5.8cm 1.5 was an earlier lens then the1.4/50.
I believe the release date for the 1/4/50 was 1970.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
walter g wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
walter g wrote:
Here you go, Tom.

Rare it seems
Tom

Tom

The 5.8cm 1.5 was an earlier lens then the1.4/50.
I believe the release date for the 1/4/50 was 1970.

Yes that makes sense. The only odd part was that I have read somewhere that the later lenses for Miranda were Kowa made, but that could easily be wrong.
It would be very interesting to know whether Miranda made any lenses, and if so which ones.
It would also be interesting to know who made each of the series Auto, Auto E and Auto EC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Soligor Miranda f=5.8cm 1:1.5 No.K710508 Reply with quote

Oldhand: I am the current owner of this lens. I purchased it in 2019 about six months after you made your post, purchased from someone in Israel. I collect lenses and enjoy having rare or limited items in my collection. Since you had specific pictures of lens K710508, might you have owned this lens as well? You are correct in identifying this lens as produced by Kowa. Kowa produced the earliest Miranda Soligor lenses at a time when Miranda was seeking to produce the highest quality products. By 1960 when this lens was crafted to be a flagship product; at the time that Kowa completed the lens, Soligor moved away from Kowa on a path hopefully more affordable for them to compete and maybe better prosper going forward. From that point on, Soligor lenses pretty much were whatever they could purchase from whomever at the best price point (think Vivitar), although Soligor still did market some occasionally nice lenses for years after that. Unfortunately they also had some not so good ones along that way as well. Such is life when you don't control your own product. Kowa on the other hand was a very fine optical manufacturer and I think this lens represents a sort of high water point in their relationship with Miranda. Only it appears very few of these lenses were ever manufactured due to Miranda Soligor moving away from a relationship with Kowa. No one seems to know how many of these lenses exist. I know the one exists in Japan per the web site sited. And I have this one. Other than that I've not seen any other.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor Miranda f=5.8cm 1:1.5 No.K710508 Reply with quote

CaptainVideo wrote:
Oldhand: I am the current owner of this lens. I purchased it in 2019 about six months after you made your post, purchased from someone in Israel. I collect lenses and enjoy having rare or limited items in my collection. Since you had specific pictures of lens K710508, might you have owned this lens as well? You are correct in identifying this lens as produced by Kowa. Kowa produced the earliest Miranda Soligor lenses at a time when Miranda was seeking to produce the highest quality products. By 1960 when this lens was crafted to be a flagship product; at the time that Kowa completed the lens, Soligor moved away from Kowa on a path hopefully more affordable for them to compete and maybe better prosper going forward. From that point on, Soligor lenses pretty much were whatever they could purchase from whomever at the best price point (think Vivitar), although Soligor still did market some occasionally nice lenses for years after that. Unfortunately they also had some not so good ones along that way as well. Such is life when you don't control your own product. Kowa on the other hand was a very fine optical manufacturer and I think this lens represents a sort of high water point in their relationship with Miranda. Only it appears very few of these lenses were ever manufactured due to Miranda Soligor moving away from a relationship with Kowa. No one seems to know how many of these lenses exist. I know the one exists in Japan per the web site sited. And I have this one. Other than that I've not seen any other.

I cannot remember where the image came from, possibly an ebay seller - it may have been from the very sale that you successfully won.
I should have attributed the images - sorry I forgot to do that at the time.
It must be a very rare lens indeed.
How does it shoot?
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor Miranda f=5.8cm 1:1.5 No.K710508 Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
CaptainVideo wrote:

I cannot remember where the image came from, possibly an ebay seller - it may have been from the very sale that you successfully won.
I should have attributed the images - sorry I forgot to do that at the time.
It must be a very rare lens indeed.
How does it shoot?
Tom

Oldhand/Tom: It makes very nice images. Maybe not my favorite for landscape stopped down as it seems slightly gritty looking almost like it's coatings are trying to enhance mid band a bit too much. What it excels at I think are wide aperture to wide open shots. The modified double gauss design which is very much like a Biotar 58mm with an extra front element produces very nice bokeh. And it seems to have a very quick and smooth fall of of the bokeh. Here's an image I shot wide open at f1.5 with it yesterday .. if I can figure out how to get it posted here. I need to try a nice portrait out with it. Bet it will be excellent there as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that result.
It will be great to see some portraits taken with it too.
Many thanks
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Many thanks
Tom

It has one of the thinnest planes of focus I've yet encountered and I've got lenses that go down to f0.85. The falloff off of the plane of focus is also incredibly fast, with very smooth bokeh in avg to subdued light. In very bright light it can produce some aperture reflection, partial circular lines. When rolled a bit out of focus on highlights, it produced some really nice bokeh balls with nice shape.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainVideo wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Many thanks
Tom

It has one of the thinnest planes of focus I've yet encountered and I've got lenses that go down to f0.85. The falloff off of the plane of focus is also incredibly fast, with very smooth bokeh in avg to subdued light. In very bright light it can produce some aperture reflection, partial circular lines. When rolled a bit out of focus on highlights, it produced some really nice bokeh balls with nice shape.

Sounds great.
If you ever think of selling it, let me know.
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
CaptainVideo wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Many thanks
Tom

Sounds great.
If you ever think of selling it, let me know.
Cheers
Tom

Another I shot with the Soligor Miranda f=5.8cm 1:1.5 No.K710508 last night.

[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have some more shots of this lens showing its bokeh?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I’ve got this lens. It is very rare. It took me years to find one. I’ve only used it a few times and it has quite a unique vintage look to the photos. It’s a lovely lens. Definitely worth keeping and using. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

You can see some photos I took with it on my Instagram page:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWKGBQNILxf/?utm_medium=copy_link
There are 3 posts with photos from this lens.

You can see some of my photos/lenses/lens hacks too.
https://www.instagram.com/nardonmisc/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Do you have some more shots of this lens showing its bokeh?

If you look at DonN's post below yours, he has a few images that show some nice bokeh examples. What I have that show bokeh are very tight macro shots like these and the one I posted up above of the wild grass.

The vacuum tube pic is very low light wide open with only one tiny point source in clean focus. You can see that this lens in subdued light like this produces pretty smooth bokeh.

The second pic has fairly good light and highlight on it and in those conditions with detail you can see just a bit of twitch and twist beginning to happen slightly in the bokeh. DonN's flower macro pic probably shows this best. This lens is a modified double gauss which is my favorite optical formula for bokeh. Pre computer designed fast modified double gauss are my favorites overall as they'll do everything from smooth bokeh to impressionistic bokeh with some deformities and twists but in an artistic way, and even do some nice bubbles in the right circumstance of light, aperture and subject.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonN wrote:
Hi. I’ve got this lens. It is very rare. It took me years to find one. I’ve only used it a few times and it has quite a unique vintage look to the photos. It’s a lovely lens. Definitely worth keeping and using. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

You can see some photos I took with it on my Instagram page:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWKGBQNILxf/?utm_medium=copy_link
There are 3 posts with photos from this lens.

You can see some of my photos/lenses/lens hacks too.
https://www.instagram.com/nardonmisc/

Glad to hear from another owner of this lens. I've done a good bit of hunting for this lens and you I think are only the fourth person I've seen that has one of these lenses, and one of those four says it's not in working condition.

Very nice photo's you posted as well. Like those. Especially the flower shot that shows such artistic twisting effect that you can get from older fast modified double gauss lenses.