Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor Macro 100-300 f/5, opinions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Soligor Macro 100-300 f/5, opinions? Reply with quote

I went looking for a long telephoto around 300mm lens and stumbled upon a Soligor Macro 100-300 f/5 in AI(g) mount.

Any user and/or opinions?

I believe this lens might also appear branded differently.

pictures of the ad:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have that Soligor, although I do have a few, I like them. I think they are generally on the better side of average, out of the dozen or so Soligors I've got there is only one that I think is a bad lens, and I have 3 or 4 that I think are actually rather good. They are a mixed bag, which is why I never pay a lot for them.

That 100-300 has the same semi gloss finish as a couple of Soligor CD lenses that I have, which was their top end range, and the serial number indicates it might be a Tokina made lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, very likely a Tokina.
There is a rather similar Vivitar TX mount lens of this specification, and all those were Tokinas. So this is possibly a variant of that. The finish is different of course.

The reviews of the Vivitar version seem pretty good, given that its a late 1970s third party lens.

I have thought of getting one to try at various times, just never got around to it.
Soligors are usually decent examples of the technology of the time, always usable but not spectacular.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I also wondered if this Soligor was maybe related to a Vivitar Close Focus Auto Zoom 90-230 / 4.5 that I have in TX Mount, the semi gloss finish is different, but the sideways focal length engraving and the tripod mount lock screw are virtually identical. My Vivitar is a 37....... serial number which is Tokina.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I agree, very likely a Tokina.
There is a rather similar Vivitar TX mount lens of this specification, and all those were Tokinas. So this is possibly a variant of that. The finish is different of course.

The reviews of the Vivitar version seem pretty good, given that its a late 1970s third party lens.

I have thought of getting one to try at various times, just never got around to it.
Soligors are usually decent examples of the technology of the time, always usable but not spectacular.

This soligor cd is from 1974/1975 and 100% sure made by tokina
It was sold along with the 35/105 c/d