Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor C/D 28mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Soligor C/D 28mm f2.8 Reply with quote

I've just bought this:

http://www.use.com/Ce9kL?p=1

Looks like a Tokina. Does anyone have any experience of this variant?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Tokina. Soligor's C/D range were apparently their best quality lenses so it should be a decent performer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one up off Ebay some months back for $12 US. Hexanon AR mount. I haven't actually used it so I won't try to fake up an evaluation but I did hook it to my A7II this morning to take a few test shots for you. All photos are OOC JPG taken at f5.6.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
It is a Tokina. Soligor's C/D range were apparently their best quality lenses so it should be a decent performer.

They C/Ds are a bit of a mixed bag. Some are very good, but some are utter dogs. There is one, I think it's a 40-150, something like that, and it is terrible, perhaps the worst zoom I've seen; so C/D can't always be taken as a sign of better quality, sadly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

They C/Ds are a bit of a mixed bag. Some are very good, but some are utter dogs. There is one, I think it's a 40-150, something like that, and it is terrible, perhaps the worst zoom I've seen; so C/D can't always be taken as a sign of better quality, sadly.

I should have stated in my post that I was referring to their fixed focal lengths and not their zooms. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem Ed. Smile

BTW, care to name some C/D primes worth keeping an eye out for?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info and the sample shots especially.

Mine should arrive next week and I'll have to get an adapter, as this will be my first FD mount lens. I'll be happy if mine performs that well, although mine will be used on my new Olympus E-P5 (a birthday present I'm getting tomorrow to replace my E-PM1) rather than a full frame camera, so the with 2x crop it'll be a normal rather wide-angle lens, and I won't be using the corners.

I wasn't after one in particular but it looks in nice condition and was only £13.50 (so yours was a bargain Steve).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I have the Asanuma C/D Autozoom 45-150mm 3.5 constant aperture; same lens as a C/D Soligor, and it is really a decent lens for me. At least optically; the weight makes it unattractive to put it in the bag for a walk.
So may be you had a copy with a bit wild history?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I have the Asanuma C/D Autozoom 45-150mm 3.5 constant aperture; same lens as a C/D Soligor, and it is really a decent lens for me. At least optically; the weight makes it unattractive to put it in the bag for a walk.
So may be you had a copy with a bit wild history?

No, the one I was trying to remember was the Soligor 35-140mm f3.5 two touch macro zoom. It's a very bad lens that has no correction of spherical aberration. Some have called it the worst lens ever sold.

You can see it in action here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-worst-lens-sold-soligor-35-140mm-t15224.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
No Problem Ed. Smile

BTW, care to name some C/D primes worth keeping an eye out for?

No, because I've never personally owned any. All I was saying was that because the lens in question is Tokina made and one of Soligor's C/D range, it most likely is not a bad performer especially on a cropped sensor.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't disagree with your logic there Ed. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

The C/D range was the soligor response to Vivitar Series 1 lenses (circa 1974)
The first C/D lenses were mainly tokina's (+ some kino / some komine) and quality was really ok
After AIC/Miranda Corp /Soligor (allimatsu corp) bankrupcy (1978) the main debitor was Tokina .. it is certainly the reason why they were NO MORE tokina's under another tm than tokina (no more tokina's made vivitar or soligor or ..) and the next C/D lenses were mainly Sun manufactured .. So the quality was very mixed and never top

After Sun Bankrucy the C/D lenses were mainly Tefnon and quality was ok
After Soligor USA bankrupcy (again and final), Soligor GMBH (germany) lenses were mainly Cosina's and quality was poor to medium

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that excellent info!

What you say makes perfect sense to me.

I have three Kobori made lenses (Tefnon was one of their house brands, along with Koboron) and they are surprisingly good. The Cosinas of the early 80s I have tried have been as you describe - poor to medium quality.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 28 f2 version of that CD Soligor - 17******* serial number as well - and it frustrates the hell out of me. It's one of those lenses that can produce great results, it's a lovely lens, sharp and good colours, but I seem to get more misses than hits with it.
My other CD is a 70-210 f3.5, and that is a great lens, a fine zoom. As long as you have someone else to carry it! Laughing