Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 35mm lens ident
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Soligor 35mm lens ident Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me if this lens is a T Mount lens? It has an Exacta mount , any input appreciated

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its not a t-mount.
It is a very early retrofocus design from the late 1950's, predating the t mount system.
Its one of the first retrofocus designs from Japan in fact.
I suspect it is made by Fujita, which made a very similar pair of lenses at the time, a 55/3.5 (@1957) for medium format for the Fujita 6x6 SLR, and a 35/2.5(@1958) for 35mm SLR(for Asahiflex, among others). This may have predated the 35/2.5 so....

A very interesting, historic lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, when the hood screws off, you will see its a retaining ring for a Series VII filter socket.
A very retro feature, even at the time.

I have an article on my own one of these somewhere here.
I shot a couple of rolls on my Exakta. Corners are terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual Luis to the rescue Very Happy

This may be a pretty good find for a lens collector. Luis, thanks for the ident.

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
BTW, when the hood screws off, you will see its a retaining ring for a Series VII filter socket.
A very retro feature, even at the time.

...but still adopted by Leica decades later Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I I am on a proper computer and I dont have to use my Android thing -

This is my lens -

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-fujita-3-5-35-early-retrofocus-t23920,highlight,%2Bsoligor.html

To summarize and correct whats on that article and its thread -

- This IS a rather rare lens. I got lucky at the time and I have seen just a couple of others in the years since.
- Maker is still unknown, I still suspect Fujita because of the design similarities to the 52/3.5 Fujita 6x6 lens, but..
- Maker could be Sun, possibly copying Fujita, due to an ID by Mo of a Sun 135 with very similar design elements.
- Ihagee.org lens lists have a 35/3.5 of presumably similar vintage by Sun, but not by Fujita. The Ihagee list is an attempt to collect all sightings, by Exakta collectors, of Exakta-mount lenses of every make (2400+ items so far). Since the principal SLR of the day (1940's-early 1960's) was the Exakta, this is a pretty good approximation of every SLR lens available in that period, under all the marketing names. There are limited details and the dates seem to be guesstimates. Since the same lens could be and was probably sold under several names there are certainly multiple entries for the same lens in most cases. I also suspect multiple types may be compacted into one entry if the specs are similar. There were a LOT more types of Soligor Exakta mount 135/2.8 lens than listed, for instance.
- In any case this is a very early lens of its type, pre-1960

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Luis,

This lens sold for just over $50.00, I guess somebody got a great buy for a collection. Smile

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be another!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone wonder why I use Luis as my go-to guy for info on such things?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Does anyone wonder why I use Luis as my go-to guy for info on such things?

Nope - Luis always gets five stars from me.
OH Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis gets more than 5 stars from me Very Happy He is a walking encylopedia on cameras and lenses and is an inspiration for me

Thanks Luis