Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 180 1:3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Soligor 180 1:3.5 Reply with quote

Does anyone know what lens is this? I went to a flea market and found it in th 10 € box along with all sorts of junk. Really: ashtrays an ceramic animals .. Shocked

But it was full metal, everything seemed to work and looked very much like M42 lens. But the thread is not the same, it is just a little bit finer. I could turn it about 90 deg. on an extension tube and could take some macro photos. When attached directly to EOS400D it doesn't focus on any distance.

The serial number is No.M 193885.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know it is a T-mount. The question is: does anyone make T to M42 conversion rings. Propably won't buy one because of just one lens ..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here! Welcome!
T-mount M42 ring available on Ebay. T-mount pretty useful thing you will able to use for other lenses too. If you decided you will use manual lenses for photography this is a great first step. If hesitate about quality, leave this lens and buy 100% good ones. You can see many of them in my gallery. Some Soligor are excellent some average all are very cheap. For a little money you can buy Meyer-Orestegor or Pentacon 200mm f/4 lens this lens is sharp well built quality lens. Perhaps this Soligor too, but I have no information from that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toilet roll center adaptor (9,5 mm to correct flange distance) and really manual focus (moved the object to focus)

(accidentally put some sharpness there, sorry about that)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!

I know and own this lens. My copy had a broken pin inside and I fixed it in an unconventional style. Wink
But it works.

It a good lens, not stellar but not bad either.

It is a useful focal length at a crop cam, a little more than a 135mm but not as long as a 200mm which sometimes do not have enough light to shoot without camera shake. You need 1/500 to be on the safe side with a 200mm at a crop cam, a 180mm often is OK at 1/250.

Yes, this Soligor has a T-mount and thus can be mounted with the right rear end to many different cameras.

You should keep your eyes open, sometimes you find a broken lens on ebay with a T-M42-end for very little money.

Let me check, perhaps I have got an additional T-M42-adapter.
(It will need to wait until after my holiday, though.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing infinity focus. (Still with the "toilet roll adapter").
scaled:

crop:

Not sure. I held the lens in my hand and the camera in my other hand. Might also be some sort of fog in the air? But you can see there is one person in the boat ..

Also the adapter might not be so accurately measured. My dog affected the manufacturing process -- thougth that I was making a toy for her.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the focus is not really on infinity. The water somewhere in the middle seems to be focused.
Which aperture did you use?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know if I keep this lens and buy a 15,5 € adapter or just make a nice schnapps bottle for the football games.

It is hard to test infinity in such a small town. And can't really focus when lens is not attached to the camera. Here the distance is 1000 m, aperture=11, time=1/1000.

scaled:

cropped:

reference photo=Canon EF 75-300 cropped

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see much difference, perhaps Canon little more contrasty.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Now I know it is a T-mount. The question is: does anyone make T to M42 conversion rings. Propably won't buy one because of just one lens ..

You can buy an used T mount adapter from B&W for $10:
T mount adapter for M42

Cheers!

Abbazz