Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 1:2.8 f=28mm -- 21+ Versions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not Tokina at all.

I had one, and I compared it with the well-known Tokina made 300/5.5, and though it is in general design similar, the dimensions and construction details are all very different.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on subject to the 28/2.8's, did anyone have any thoughts on this one? Wink

Scheimpflug wrote:
Another variation? Shocked

Soligor 28/2.8 C/D, SN 281xxxx.

What struck me about this one, is that forward of the focus grip, the lens barrel makes a step inward, whereas without exception, every other 28/2.8 pictured in this thread is either straight, or makes a step outward. Wink

Beyond what I mentioned before, it also has a different front element, a 49mm filter thread, and would seem to be the newest Soligor 28/2.8 here...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it has all the earmarks of a later design. Too bad we can't see a pic of the rear of that lens's mount. It's obviously Nikon AI, and may have the AIs "notch". If it does, that would narrow down its age to a "no earlier than" date.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Back on subject to the 28/2.8's, did anyone have any thoughts on this one? Beyond what I mentioned before, it also has a different front element, a 49mm filter thread, and would seem to be the newest Soligor 28/2.8 here...

Sun or Cimko. Cimko has a distinctive screw pattern on the rear face even when the hollow diamond is absent.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Back on subject to the 28/2.8's, did anyone have any thoughts on this one? Wink

Scheimpflug wrote:
Another variation? Shocked

Soligor 28/2.8 C/D, SN 281xxxx.

What struck me about this one, is that forward of the focus grip, the lens barrel makes a step inward, whereas without exception, every other 28/2.8 pictured in this thread is either straight, or makes a step outward. Wink

Beyond what I mentioned before, it also has a different front element, a 49mm filter thread, and would seem to be the newest Soligor 28/2.8 here...

Sorry. getting absent minded. I thought I'd answered your post. Laughing

The last lens added to the list was my 1978 Sun made lens.
This one is also Sun made,but in 1981. I believe the cd series had a different look to them then the standard lenses. I will try to find a pic of a Sun made regular 28 2.8 from 1981 and post it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
No, not Tokina at all.

I had one, and I compared it with the well-known Tokina made 300/5.5, and though it is in general design similar, the dimensions and construction details are all very different.

Sorry, I misunderstood your last post. I thought you meant it was Tokina made, but a rarer version.
I guess that is why I couldn't come up with an exact match. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
walter g wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
I have a 28mm f2

So this is a Tokina? Surprised

You don't know what it is. So I'm guessing you got it cheap. Shocked Soligor had a series of lenses around 1974-1975 that were this style. I call them there high dollar series.
They were fast lenses. Sizes I know of were 28/2, 85 1/5, 105 2/8, 135/2,
200 2/8.
Your lens was made in 1974 by Tokina. code 1= Tokina 74= 1974.
This is one of the lenses that dosen't look like the normal Tokinas.

1974 lenses had the chrome top edge to the lens. 1975 went to all black.
I've seen these lenses listed on Ebay from this series in the USD $200 to $400 plus range, but I havent tracked actual sales to know the real price.

Thx mate! That's great news, indeed Very Happy
I paid 63 GBP (about 98 USD) for this lens in very good shape. I am happy with booth the lens and the price Wink

I saw one 28mm f2 (mint) on Ebay tonight for "65 dollars buy now" if you live in the states Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug this one out of a box to further the cause. Ser # 966xxxx in Canon FL mount. My guess is that it's a Kino made lens and a redecorated version of a Miranda 28/2.8.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks casualcollector! That is Version #2. Kino(?), a new manufacture code, 9. From 1966. Looks like filter size is 58mm.

The first post in this thread now shows all Eight (wow!) versions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile I knew there was a 9 code Soligor. I've been looking for a pic of one to post on here.Glad you have one. I wasn't having any luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
That is Version #2. Kino(?), a new manufacture code, 9. From 1966. Looks like filter size is 58mm.

52mm filter. Kino Precision - manufacturer of Kiron lenses, also Vivitar and others. OEM for some Nikon Series E lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated list

Soligor Codes

1 = Tokina
2 = Sun
3 = Sun
4 = Sun
6 = Komine
7 = Sun
9 = Kino
31 = ??? *
H6 = Komine #
H7= Tokina #
H37 = Kawanon? #
N = ??? #
T = Tamron #

Code system. First number = Maker.
Second number = Decade
Third number = Year

*Six digit lens date code unknown.

# Letter code lens date code unknown.

..... DISCLAMER THIS IS A WORKING LIST......
..... IT MAY CHANGE AS NEW EVIDENCE IS FOUND.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter do you think these Soligor codes are applicable to all lenses or just the 28mms? I'm presuming all at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Walter do you think these Soligor codes are applicable to all lenses or just the 28mms? I'm presuming all at the moment.

All Soligor lenses. I haven't added in the Miranda Soligors yet, but I hope to at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Yeah, it has all the earmarks of a later design. Too bad we can't see a pic of the rear of that lens's mount. It's obviously Nikon AI, and may have the AIs "notch". If it does, that would narrow down its age to a "no earlier than" date.
casualcollector wrote:
Sun or Cimko. Cimko has a distinctive screw pattern on the rear face even when the hollow diamond is absent.

I couldn't resist, so I bought it. Surprised
+10 years, a different manufacturer, and a different design - should make for an interesting comparison. Cool

It's taking the long way here via a US relay, so it will be a little while before I can look at the rear of the lens, both for an age estimate (thanks cooltouch!) and a manufacturer clue (thanks casualcollector!). Wink

walter g wrote:
The last lens added to the list was my 1978 Sun made lens.
This one is also Sun made,but in 1981. I believe the cd series had a different look to them then the standard lenses. I will try to find a pic of a Sun made regular 28 2.8 from 1981 and post it.

That would be great if you could find that. Cool Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Thanks for making the updates! This is turning into an excellent resource. Cool

A few comments:
* On my #6 (171x), 0.3m is the closest marked focus distance, but the focus ring actually turns past it. Infinity is a definite stop (and aligned), but 0.3m is not. I wonder if anyone has any literature on what the actual close focus distance was?
* How did you find a close focus distance for my #8 (281x)? Wink
* Is it just me, or does the new #2 (966x from casualcollector) have a different front element from the others? Aside from my C/D #8 (281x), they all had the "flat" front element... so it is interesting to see an older lens that has a different optical design.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
* On my #6 (171x), 0.3m is the closest marked focus distance, but the focus ring actually turns past it. Infinity is a definite stop (and aligned), but 0.3m is not. I wonder if anyone has any literature on what the actual close focus distance was?

~0.275m? Laughing How do manufacturers specify min-focus; always the min number on scale?

Scheimpflug wrote:
* How did you find a close focus distance for my #8 (281x)? Wink

How did I guess? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Soligor H6 code Komine made 28 2.8 T mount lens that was just listed on Ebay.
It is different then visualopsins and my copy. Not enough pics to see what the differences are, but you can clearly see that there in no "made in Japan", printed on the ring.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listed as a 22mm but it's a 28mm. I saved a pic of the front for future reference.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

My curiosity got the best of me, so I did some searching. It turns out that even our surprising 8 versions collected by members here may just be the tip of the iceberg! Shocked

Here are nine more. Shocked Sorry, visualopsins! Mr. Green

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soligor-28mm-F-2-8-Wide-Prime-Lens-Minolta-MD-Mount-/220656683130
177x, Minolta MD mount, 58mm filter size
rubber grip, f/16 minimum aperture, different coatings?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLIGOR-28mm-f-2-8-Lens-MIRANDA-Looks-Works-Great-/400144809520
184x, Miranda mount, unknown filter size
Metal grip. Lowercase text on name ring. Similar to 966x lens, but with step-down for filter threads, silver accents, interchanged ft/m scales, f/16 minimum aperture instead of f/22.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLIGOR-WIDE-ANGLE-28MM-2-8-LENS-YASHICA-MOUNT-CLEAN-/320556374712
281x, Yashica mount, 55mm filter size
rubber grip, C/D designation, f/22 minimum aperture, first with 55mm filter size

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/16891653/SOLIGOR_CD_WIDE_AUTO_28mm_1_2_8_SPOTLESS.html
283x, M42 mount, 49mm filter size
rubber grip, similar to my 281x, but looks shorter, has a flatter front element with different retaining,
and no step-down for the filter threads. MC indication as well. f/22 minimum aperture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLIGOR-28MM-2-8-LENS-OLYMPUS-MOUNT-NICE-/290463091543
479x, Olympus mount, 58mm filter size
Rubber grip(?) Different name ring text, MC indication, first 4xxxxxx lens in the list

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Soligor-MC-1-2-8-28mm-Wide-Angle-Lens-Minolta-/190425425573
683x, Minolta mount, 49mm filter size
rubber grip, MC designation, first 6xxxxxxxx lens in the list, f/22 minimum aperture

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTO-SOLIGOR-1-2-8-28-MM-M-42-TOP-/270619526772
779x, M42 mount, 62mm filter size
Rubber grip(?), first 7xxxxx lens in the list,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soligor-2-8-28mm-fur-Canon-FD-/370258329383
992x, Canon FD mount, 49mm filter size
rubber grip, MC and C/D designations, 0.25m minimum focus distanc
newest lens so far?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soligor-1-2-8-28mm-Macro-funktion-TOP-/270522553460
unknown SN, Canon FD mount, unknown filter size
Rubber grip, MACRO range (1:4.5-1:6), only macro lens so far?, MC designation

Hopefully these are in a good order and with most of the info you need, visualopsins. It looks like grip (metal/rubber), minimum aperture (f/16, f/22), macro (yes/no), C/D (yes/no), and coating (none/single/multi) are five more columns that you could add to your table. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

My curiosity got the best of me, so I did some searching. It turns out that even our surprising 8 versions collected by members here may just be the tip of the iceberg! Shocked

Here are nine more. Shocked Sorry, visualopsins! Mr. Green

Laughing I too searched ebaY & found these. Laughing Rolling Eyes Cool (sometimes google isn't the best resource!)

somebody should begin the 'Soligor 2.8/135 -- seventy versions' thread.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Pflug,

You've been doing some diligent searching. Some are variations on a theme.

#17764521 is an updated Tokina. Rubber replaces knurling on focus grip and plain black aperture grip replaces earlier chrome ring with "ears".

#184220 appears to be the same lens as my 9663657 but in Miranda mount and dressed in full Miranda cosmetics.

#2810764 a later Sun made lens. Looks much different from the earlier model with metal focus grip and 62mm filter. Aperture grip changed from silver to black but retains Sun style knurl.

#283004266 generic '80s looking 28. Sun style but perhaps made by Cosina?

#4790922 updated Sun? Redecorated Tokina? Knurl on the aperture grip appears to be in the valley. Soligor name is engraved in the Sun style.

#683023410 The squared off infinity symbol and small orange diamond reference mark, IMO, are Sun charactersitics.

#779996 the 62mm filter makes me vote for Sun.

#9920899 Cosina?

FD Macro Don't know but the raised ring around the front element is distinctive.

My two cents!

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill.

It's actually sort of fun pulling up a bunch of image results, and trying to find the "new" ones. Almost like those "spot the differences" games. I don't know the details about the different manufacturers though, so I'm leaving all of that up to you guys. Wink

The Miranda 184x with your 966x I thought was pretty interesting. They do look extremely similar, but what caught me was the different serial number prefix. So if the codes are correct, then they are different manufacturers.. not what I would have guessed at first glance!

About the raised ring around the FD Macro front element, the only other one of these that has something similar is my 281x, which has tentatively been identified as Sun. So I suppose it would be safe to lean towards Sun as well for the FD Macro? Side-by-side, they look pretty similar... I think I can see the matching step-down for the filter threads in the FD Macro, but the photo isn't very good...

Also, I noticed you guessed Cosina twice... but Walter's list actually doesn't include Cosina (yet). Are there any Cosina characteristics to watch for in other auctions?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that Soligor had some clout back in those days, and manufacturers would make lenses to the style demanded Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one above in Scheimpflug's post with the 62mm filter ring is the same as this 'Super Travenar' that I've got.

I've been tracking this lens manufacturer down and I'm thinking 'Sun' as well. The Travenar name was nothing more tham a marketing name on this lens, it's nothing like any other Travenar I have seen

And so far I've found pictures of variants marketed as -

Soligor

Reflex

Super Carenar

Prinzflex

Welt

Mirage

Infotar

Hanimar

Flexar

Elicar

Derek Gardenar Automatic

Porst

and possibly –

Bushnell( Bausch & Lomb )

J.C. Penny

Pallas

Berroflex

Aetna

Obviously I have no details of the lenses, I'm working on pictures from Ebay and the net, but the first lot are close enough to be fairly sure that it's a generic 28mm lens that got marketed by many different companies.

[img]
[/img]

Last edited by Lloydy on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total