Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 1:2.8 f=28mm -- 21+ Versions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now 17 versions http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1054364.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
I have a 28mm f2

So this is a Tokina? Surprised

You don't know what it is. So I'm guessing you got it cheap. Shocked Soligor had a series of lenses around 1974-1975 that were this style. I call them there high dollar series.
They were fast lenses. Sizes I know of were 28/2, 85 1/5, 105 2/8, 135/2,
200 2/8.
Your lens was made in 1974 by Tokina. code 1= Tokina 74= 1974.
This is one of the lenses that dosen't look like the normal Tokinas.

1974 lenses had the chrome top edge to the lens. 1975 went to all black.
I've seen these lenses listed on Ebay from this series in the USD $200 to $400 plus range, but I havent tracked actual sales to know the real price.

Interesting read! I have two lenses from this series from that year the 28/2 and the 135/2. The numbers start with 175 and still have the chrome top.
They are well made and the 28 is quiet good. The 135 not so, but that is may be also because I have the 135/2 Canon FD and it is by far not in the same leaque.
But it is such a beautiful and big chunk of glass of 77 mm wide, I can't let it go.

Michiel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
The Miranda 184x with your 966x I thought was pretty interesting. They do look extremely similar, but what caught me was the different serial number prefix. So if the codes are correct, then they are different manufacturers.. not what I would have guessed at first glance!

Though it is engraved Soligor, 184x wears all of the characteristics of the Miranda OEM lens. The serial number may also fall in with a Miranda series. Distance and depth of field engravings differ from my 966x lens as does the minimum aperture. It was probably easier to use existing Miranda parts to fill the order. I have seen another lens like my 966x in an auction. Same cosmetics but in Nikon F mount.

Scheimpflug wrote:
Also, I noticed you guessed Cosina twice... but Walter's list actually doesn't include Cosina (yet). Are there any Cosina characteristics to watch for in other auctions?

Just guessing based on time period. Nittoh (aka Komine) would be another guess, or they may be late Sun lenses.

Bill[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Remember that Soligor had some clout back in those days, and manufacturers would make lenses to the style demanded Wink

That's the part I know nothing about. Wink How did the arrangements work? Did Soligor design the optics and then contract out the production? Or did they purchase or license designs, or even just tell manufacturers how they wanted a lens to look? Question

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
That's the part I know nothing about. Wink How did the arrangements work? Did Soligor design the optics and then contract out the production? Or did they purchase or license designs, or even just tell manufacturers how they wanted a lens to look? Question

I think A.I.C. requested a specific look and suppliers were willing to cooperate if it meant getting the order or some extra money for the changes.

I doubt A.I.C. designed the optics. On the other hand, Ponder and Best bought several optical designs from an American designer and had them produced at Kino in Japan. These were the early Vivitar Series One lenses.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my version of (M42) Soligor 28mm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome dfujevec! Thank you. Your version is the new #10; making now 18 versions. See http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1054364.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a new code. Very Happy H4.

We need to find the 28 2.8 version so we can ad it to the 28 2.8 list.

Take a look at this lens and give me an opinion to maker. Top veiw looks like a Komine, but the bottom markings are totally different then Viisualopsins and my lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to the lens on Ebay. Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas of the maker of the 35 2.8? I'd like to add it to my list.Anyone got one like it in any focal length?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly Kawanon.

They also had the O<-.->C ring

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Any ideas of the maker of the 35 2.8? I'd like to add it to my list.Anyone got one like it in any focal length?

Here's his bigger brother Very Happy
http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-105mm-f2-8-preset-in-exakta-ke-t-mount-t26289.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three new ones?

Exakta T2
http://www.rockycameras.com/exakta-t2-soligor-28mm-28-prime-wide-lens-899-11731-p.asp

Miranda
http://www.rockycameras.com/miranda-fit-28mm-28-prime-wide-angle-lens-1499-10897-p.asp

And Walter, you will like this one:

Click here to see on Ebay

SN 89000430. You don't have anything listed in your Soligor Codes yet for 8. Wink Actually, not even a placeholder for 8. So I assume that 8-code Soligors are pretty rare?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated list

Soligor Codes

1 = Tokina
2 = Sun
3 = Sun
4 = Sun
5 = ???
6 = Komine
7 = Sun
8 = ???
9 = Kino
31 = ??? *
A = Komura #
H4 = Kawanon ? #
H5 = Komine #
H6 = Komine #
H7= Tokina #
H37 = Kawanon? #
M = ??? #
N = ??? #
R = ??? #
T = Tamron #

Code system. First number = Maker.
Second number = Decade
Third number = Year

*Six digit lens date code unknown.

# Letter code lens date code unknown.

..... DISCLAMER THIS IS A WORKING LIST......
..... IT MAY CHANGE AS NEW EVIDENCE IS FOUND.....

Last edited by walter g on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:15 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like it. It's the first 8 code I've seen. I had know idea what series 8 would be in. Now the question is, is it a Sun made lens like some of the later CD lenses, or is it a Tokina made like some of the earlier CD lenses.
Or made by someone else?

I've moved the list to this page. I had been doing updates to it using the edit feature.

Another lens I've never seen is a 5 code lens. I added the placeholder for it.
Also that 9 code lens, I see very few of them come up.

Good job Exclamation Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this list relevant to other Soligor lenses or just the 28mm ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This list is for all Soligor lenses.I will move a copy to a seperate thread soon to make it easier to find.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Walter, I guessed it might be for all the lenses but I wanted to be sure.

The lens I mentioned earlier ( chrome eared 135 2.8 ) with the M 163*** serial number isn't covered though, or do you think the M is irrelevant and I should consider it a '1' - Tokina, from 1963 ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the code is either M or M1 or M16. Until more lenses with M come up It's pretty much just a guess.
As for identity. I see a side view on page 2 of this thread. Can you post a front view.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Three new ones?

Exakta T2
http://www.rockycameras.com/exakta-t2-soligor-28mm-28-prime-wide-lens-899-11731-p.asp

Dammit I was just going to post that one! I'm all out now, I know of no other variants Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Front view Soligor 135mm Reply with quote

Soligor 135mm f2.8 with M prefix to serial number. M163924

Last edited by Lloydy on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see H5 anywhere here. Seller thinks is is Komine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala
Thank you. I just updated the list, and I agree it does appear to be komine made.

Lloydy
Thank you for posting the pic. I don't think this is Tokina made. This is another mystery lens we haven't identified the maker. I did add M code as a placeholder in the list. Hopefully this lens can be identified.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M = Mitake?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any other clues as to who manufactured what?

I suspect that the three chrome eared Soligors I have are all from different manufacturers (all Japanese ), and if the dates are accurate from the serial numbers they were made in 1963, 1969 and 1975, which is quite a long 'production' run for a lens that could be changed cosmetically quite easily because Soligor were outsourcing it, they called the shots.

From the manufacturers on the list, do any have a particular style or trait that can help us figure out who made what?