Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 100/f2.8 Macro 1:2 or 1:1 with adapter M42 mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Soligor 100/f2.8 Macro 1:2 or 1:1 with adapter M42 mount Reply with quote

Any one heard of it? I did search the internet but can't find anything about it Sad

Here is the picture of the lens from the seller.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor 100/f2.8 Macro 1:2 or 1:1 with adapter M42 mount Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:
Any one heard of it? I did search the internet but can't find anything about it Sad

If you have a front pic of the lens, i could confirm you the origin or the lens
Aniway, Soligor sold in the first batch of c/d lenses (~1975) a 100mm macro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've owned (briefly) two of these lenses. Each was in cosmetically flawless condition - absolutely no evidence of abuse - but was an irremediable disaster in mechanical terms. (I thought the first might have been an isolated case; that's why I tried again.) The aperture mechanism was faulty in both lenses, and the focus ring of one of them wouldn't turn (hard stop, as if something was physically preventing movement) beyond about 10 feet. One of them, I recall, also had a problem with lubricant seeping out in several places. I never managed to take a photo with either one. Both went back to the respective sellers.

The 1:1 tube is simply an extension tube designed to match the lens (unlike, say, the 1:1 attachment for the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro).

The lens doesn't seem to turn up often, and there's little information out there about it. Based on my experience, I can't recommend it - although it's possible, of course, that I somehow wound up with two lemons. Somehow, though, I doubt that.

Personally, I have no intention of giving this lens a third chance. But I suppose that if one were to turn up at a really attractive price (really attractive), with assurances of its mechanical soundness, and with a reasonable return policy in effect, a case could be made for trying it out.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
Hi,

I've owned (briefly) two of these lenses. Each was in cosmetically flawless condition - absolutely no evidence of abuse - but was an irremediable disaster in mechanical terms. (I thought the first might have been an isolated case; that's why I tried again.) The aperture mechanism was faulty in both lenses, and the focus ring of one of them wouldn't turn (hard stop, as if something was physically preventing movement) beyond about 10 feet. One of them, I recall, also had a problem with lubricant seeping out in several places. I never managed to take a photo with either one. Both went back to the respective sellers.

The 1:1 tube is simply an extension tube designed to match the lens (unlike, say, the 1:1 attachment for the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro).

The lens doesn't seem to turn up often, and there's little information out there about it. Based on my experience, I can't recommend it - although it's possible, of course, that I somehow wound up with two lemons. Somehow, though, I doubt that.

Personally, I have no intention of giving this lens a third chance. But I suppose that if one were to turn up at a really attractive price (really attractive), with assurances of its mechanical soundness, and with a reasonable return policy in effect, a case could be made for trying it out.

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks, Jon. Very insightful. Since I can't really test the lens I guess I'll pass then.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 100/f2.8 Macro 1:2 or 1:1 with adapter M42 mount Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
ducdao wrote:

If you have a front pic of the lens, i could confirm you the origin or the lens
Aniway, Soligor sold in the first batch of c/d lenses (~1975) a 100mm macro

Hi I have posted the pix that the seller sent me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1975 Tokina made but dosen't have the C/D markings.
So where is the front element?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to pass but the owner came back with an offer that I couldn't resist so here I am with a new lens.

The build quality is not great, unlike the previous poster, I'm lucky enough that the lens seems working fine. Aperture blades are clean and focus ring is fine, not silky smooth but just ok.

Here are some pictures I took this morning with this lens with its extension to make macro at 1:1.

All images taken with Pentax K100D at f11 ISO200 with Nikon SB24 flash.

More photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunny_skye/sets/72157624735398805/

Last edited by ducdao on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sure looks crisp enough.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Well, sure looks crisp enough.

I thought so too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Results look from a fine macro lens to me. Of course being a fine photographer helps. Very Happy Nice, ducdao!

@walter g, the front element is recessed quite deeply...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Wow! Results look from a fine macro lens to me. Of course being a fine photographer helps. Very Happy Nice, ducdao!

@walter g, the front element is recessed quite deeply...

Thanks! Still need to spend more time with the lens though. It's so heavy with the adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few more with this beauty. Taken with K100D and Vivitar 285HV flash.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to revive an old thread but after having this lens and using it intensively for macro, I can say that I'm really impressed with this lens for its macro capabilities, especially at 1:1.

Here is the actual picture of the lens in case you can find one on sale.

Another image recently captured with this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thank you for the revival of this topic.

It surely is a very good macro lens ! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me you don't use that vitacon-whatever filter when you shoot macro.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Tell me you don't use that vitacon-whatever filter when you shoot macro.

NO, I don't Smile

I just put it on for storage, I don't use front cap as it blocks light and that could potentially generate fungus as I live in Vietnam and it's extremely humid. This lens is way too big to fit in my dry cabinet. I take the filter off when shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Soligor100mm c/d macro Reply with quote

Interesting that 2 years later, the same lens shown at the start of this post is up for sale on ebay!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor100mm c/d macro Reply with quote

mjww wrote:
Interesting that 2 years later, the same lens shown at the start of this post is up for sale on ebay!

Life is full of surprises, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor100mm c/d macro Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
mjww wrote:

is it the OP reselling the lens?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor100mm c/d macro Reply with quote

clockwork247 wrote:
Himself wrote:
mjww wrote:

is it the OP reselling the lens?

Yah I'm putting it up on eBay. Only ship to Canada and ConUSA, though.

I simply have too many macro lenses.