Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soft Focus: Thambar, Mamiya, Minolta, and Tamron zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
kymarto wrote:
A couple of things regarding the Tamron 51a zoom ...

... I use mine primarily for the wild bokeh, which I really like. Things look quite different depending on the focal length. I find having variable bokeh is quite cool. Four examples ...

... My favorite "soft focus" lens, is, however, a different animal. Actually it is a Cooke Triplet found on a couple of old folders, the Enna Werk Correlar 80mm f2.9. The craxy thing is that the lens goes from spherical overcorrection when focused at infinity to massive spherical undercorrection when focused at minimum focus distance. This has to do with increasing the distance from the front element to the other two, which is how it focuses. Mounted on a helicoid, it can be focused no matter how the lens focus is set. Strangely, I have tried other triplets in the same configuration, and while the bokeh changes slightly, it is nothing like the Correlar. Here are some examples, first three shots focused infinity, mid and close, and then some examples of how the look changes focused at infinity or at mfd

Like 1 Nice!

Kotokuin temple in Kamakura, by any chance?

Interesting. I have a Minolta Tessar that also uses just the front element for focusing, with a significant impact on the correction of spherical aberration. Never thought of mounting this on another helicoid to try and use it as an intentional soft focus lens. I will have to try that some day.

Yes, the Daibutsu. I have also the Balda Baltar 75mm f2.9 and an Isco Westar 75mm f2.9 from folders, and neither has such a drastic change in bokeh rendering.