Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soft Focus Galore
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Soft Focus Galore Reply with quote

As you might know, I have always been interested in soft focus lenses. I have acquired a few different models that I use regularly. Every soft focus lens has its own personality and collecting soft focus lenses is an addictive hobby.

Today, I went to the beach with two lenses. First, the Fujinon SF 85mm f/4. This is a 4 element / 4 group lens with a "tea strainer" inserted in the optical path, like on an Imagon lens. Here's a picture of this lens (the perforated disc is visible through the front element):

Photo Credit: http://www.pentax-manuals.com/fujica/lenses/m42_85.htm

The perforated disc causes the out of focus highlights to take a very particular aspect. One has to be careful with specular reflections, because this lens can turn each individual reflection into a kaleidoscope of light. Here are some samples, taken at f/5.6:

On this last picture, the "diamonds" in the background are only reflections of the sun on the sea and on a wet rock.

The second lens is... an autofocus lens, the Pentax FA 85mm f/2.8 Soft. But I normally use it in manual mode when I take soft focus pictures, because then the autofocus is useless. The autofocus always tries to focus the lens to the point of maximum contrast, which is not the point of optimum focus when this lens is used in soft focus mode (which means approximately from f/2.8 to f/6.3). The lens has a 5 element / 4 group optical formula:

Picture Credit: Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

and a strange auto/manual aperture control. From f/2.8 to f/5.6 (were the soft focus effect is at its maximum), the aperture is fully manual, which means that you can evaluate the soft focus effect directly in the viewfinder without having to use the stop-down feature of your camera. From F/5.6 to F/32, the lens behaves as an f/5.6 lens with auto diaphragm. Here are some samples, also taken around F/5.6:

With this lens, the soft focus effect is much smoother, without the distinctive background of the Fuji. As to which I prefer, the Pentax is much easier to use and also a sharper when stopped down. But I love some of the pictures I make with the Fuji and I know that no other lens could have made them!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the first lens produces not only soft focus but also a load of CA.
The second lens does not and the output is much better in my opinion.

However I think that the limitation of this type of lenses is that the SF effect always takes place over the whole frame and can not be limited to a portion of the image. For soft focus I prefer other methods where you can operate selectively.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

The pics of the fuji are similar of mine. And I have to say that I don't like them very much.

You are right, not other lens can give the pics that gives the fuji 85. I fell the same thing.

I sold the lens. It's very rare to find, and the IQ is rare too.

I know, it's a portrait lens, but for that m,atter, I prefer other lenses.

Perhaps you can find the way to obtain the results that I couldn't.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jf I want soft focus over the entire frame, I'll stretch a piece of black hose over the lens...Much cheaper than getting a soft focus lens