Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So, where do you buy your film?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: So, where do you buy your film? Reply with quote

With the recent enthusiasm for film might it be a good idea to create a list of the best places to buy?

I've just bought a couple of boxes from macodirect which should arrive in a couple of days. I also use silverprint, retrophotographic and discountfilms direct. And sometimes 7dayshop. And there's ebay of course.

Any others that have been tried?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in NJ USA, B&H delivers in 1 day and there's no sales tax. (I used to work down the block from them and bought in person). That takes care of much of the new film. Drugstores and supermarkets for cheap color.

Ebay and camera show for 'specials' - out dated or ultra cheap, when available

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maco direct seems good in choice and prices, but shipping costs are a bit high. I buy mostly of my film via ebay, and i might give you two very good sellers as an alternative, good choice and prices

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/gezeitenreise/
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/jaz-uk/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merci Hexi
also special offers @ Fuji UK
http://www.fujilab.co.uk/catalog/special-offers-c-74.html
VELVIA 50 135 - 36 EXP (Nov 2009) £3.45

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly buy expired film on Ebay.
Sometime, very rarely, I buy colour print rolls in the local supermarket.
And my fav Kodak BW400CN I buy at the local drug store - best price!

I don't buy film a lot, because I don't shoot film a lot ... too expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at macodirect, but their minimum order policy is a pita, as it turns a desire to spend say twenty Euros into sixty. Same applies to silverprint, with an absurd minimum order of £100 for European delivery, + postage.

I'm happy to use fuji UK or 7dayshop for various films, and 7dayshop have lots of other bits and pieces, too.

For film prices somewhat near those and can be got quickly within Ireland, I find Gunns of Dublin very easy to deal with, the only drawback being that liquid chemicals must be couriered, which makes them pricey. Powder chems are ok by post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also believe that with my personal film workflow (give it to the local lab to process, scan and burn on CD Wink) the brand of film does not make much of a difference.
This is, of course, competely different when you shoot slides and scan on your own.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live near Calumet Camera, so no shipping is needed.

I also have ordered from B&h and Adorama.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I also believe that with my personal film workflow (give it to the local lab to process, scan and burn on CD Wink) the brand of film does not make much of a difference.
This is, of course, competely different when you shoot slides and scan on your own.

Hmmm... I find there are differences with the local lab thing. Fuji 400H comes out very different than the *uck* Superia 100, for example, and so on. But within the mainstream of print films, you are probably right.

I used to pick which place I took my film to based on the results I was after - one made very saturated scans using Agfa equipment, while the local CVS was a bit variable but more subdued. Now I use one of three places (the first Agfa store closed) depending on where I am and what I'm after.