Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Snap-Portraits" - Canon 5D + Carl Zeiss Planar T*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: "Snap-Portraits" - Canon 5D + Carl Zeiss Planar T* Reply with quote

Yesterday I did some snapshots with my friends, after one photography class that I helped with my ex art teacher (in one photograph too).

Then some friends (ex class mates) went there to see the school and I did this photographs.

This was the first time I used the Planar T* 85/1.4 in my 5D and I have to say I was amazed with the performance...

All pictures wide open:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and i'm amazed by the shots, all are good, i don't know how i can describe how much i want this lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an amazing lens. I'm start thinking keeping it because I'm afraid the price goes up soon and I can't afford another one in that time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazzaros wrote:
This is an amazing lens. I'm start thinking keeping it because I'm afraid the price goes up soon and I can't afford another one in that time.

You have too many Planars Lazaros, maybe you should sell it cheaply to a member here Wink Cool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I have to get my list actualized. I already sold some of them.

Now I only have that 85mm and 50mm f/1.4

That's enough for me. I'm selling the 85mm but I'm thinking keeping it seriously... I think next Monday I'll get the money for 5D MK II so I don't need to sell it...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ! especially the two last. What a package 5D & Planar lucky you

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got the 50/1.4 and now I only take it off to use the Distagon 25/2.8. What lenses

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the 50/1.4 too Smile

One surprising lens was 200/3.5. I really liked it too.

Contax lenses are amazing. hehe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Planar 1.4/85 is not a "perfect" lens, as we tend to consider one today in the age of APO lenses; it has some CA wide open, and the highlights bokeh are not as smooth as ideally one would like to have them.
But man, what a personality it has. It really floods the images with character, if you let it.
It is a lens to take chances with. That's where it gives you the edge. You can and should take risks with it. For safe pictures, it will do just as many other lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Great bokeh and super nice contrast for wide open.

I especially like the jacket the guy in #1 is wearing Cool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

I especially like the jacket the guy in #1 is wearing Cool

I agree, the jacket seems to pop out of the frame.
Same for jacket in #2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow is all i can say....
t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice portraits, great contrast and you didn't need to touch colors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exellent pictures and lens!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously thinking to buy a planar in Nikon mount, if you had just one shot which one would you prefer 50 1.4 or 85 1.4? (yeah i know they're 2 different lenses)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uzay wrote:
I'm seriously thinking to buy a planar in Nikon mount, if you had just one shot which one would you prefer 50 1.4 or 85 1.4? (yeah i know they're 2 different lenses)

It depends on what you plan to shoot with it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Uzay wrote:

It depends on what you plan to shoot with it.

You're right, actually i'm confused, 85 is a well known portrait lens where i can also use the 50 as a portrait lens on my D700, i can use it general purpose lens but in streets i may need 85 since people in Turkey are camera shy but the price of 85 is double of 50. Confused

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Uzay, I faced similar problems. Expecting Pentacon 135 for that purpose though (sniping) Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the 85mm to portraiture. The performance is better and in FF I avoid any kind of distortion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omd, for me, these photo are amazing....