Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Takumar 3.5/135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: SMC Takumar 3.5/135 Reply with quote

I actually bought a Super-Multicoated-Takumar 3.5/135 in nearly mint condition for a resonable price.
I hope it will arrive at my place in the next days.
My main reason for this aquisition is the use for IR-Photography on my Pentax K100 Ds or KM (analog).
But.... Why not using this lens on my Sony A7ii. It is supposed to be light in weight and small in size.
What kind of performance may I expect? Will it be comparable to my Leitz Elmarit-R 135?

best regards

Timo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

Please let us know!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use your SMC 135/3,5.

It´s a Pentax lens, so it's very good 135 mm one.

IMHO the Elmarit (R or M) 135 is a better lens. I had it in the M version and not so sharp like the Elmar F/4 was.

I had a so so 135 lens only one time, and had a lot good 135 mm lenses, almost anybody here.

The 1st version of the ST 135 F/3,5 (5/4 formula) had a very good concept.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Super-Multi-Coated 135mm Takumar 3.5 a few months ago, and I think something is wrong with it. Perhaps someone took it apart and put it back together wrong, or misaligned one of the elements, because it's a very unsatisfactory performer. I've been meaning to give it a closer inspection, but I haven't gotten around to it as of yet.

Later I got a sweet deal on a really nice Super Takmar 135mm 3.5 (which I believe is exactly the same design), and that one is brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
I bought a Super-Multi-Coated 135mm Takumar 3.5 a few months ago, and I think something is wrong with it. Perhaps someone took it apart and put it back together wrong, or misaligned one of the elements, because it's a very unsatisfactory performer. I've been meaning to give it a closer inspection, but I haven't gotten around to it as of yet.

Later I got a sweet deal on a really nice Super Takmar 135mm 3.5 (which I believe is exactly the same design), and that one is brilliant.

Yes, same design.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Takumar-135mm-F3.5.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
KEO wrote:

Yes, same design.

Actually there are two versions of the super takumar 135mm 3.5

An early version with five elements in 4 groups (cemented rear group) and a late version with 4 elements in four groups. The early version has a finely ribbed aperture ring and the later version has a knurled (like the focus ring) aperture ring.

The early version has the same scheme as earlier Takumar/Auto-Takumar variants. The later one is similar to the s-m-c Takumar.

Early: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Takumar-Auto-Takumar-135mm-F3.5.html
Late: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Takumar-135mm-F3.5.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried mine for the first time today. Used on my good old Pentax K100d super stopped down to f5.6 and focused for longer distance it delivers sharp images with some visible traces of cromatic abberations.
Focused to the near range it doesn't get as sharp.
In terms of close-up performance, color-accuracy and correction of cromatic errors it get's definetly exceeded by my Elmarit-R 135.
But that takumar is much smaller and for landscape (ir-) photography it get's the job done. So overall I am satisfied with it. Maybe I will compare both lenses on my A7ii later.

Timo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shots from today, all with Pentax K100d, SMC Takumar 135@F5.6, Hoya 720nm ir-pass filter and ofcourse with the setup installed on a tripod:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I gave the SMC takumar 3.5/135 a short little try on the A7ii, what should I say...
The performance profile is totally different from what I saw when using it on the 6MP Pentax.
I would say, it comes even closer to the Elmarit-R 135. Maybe I had some problems with my eye-sight when focussing the lens on the relatively dark SLR viewfinder, maybe the FF sensor of the sony simply gives more details.

I will compare the tak and the Elmarit when some time is available.

Best regards

Timo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lens is the M42 Asahi Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:3.5/135mm as designated on name ring.

There is a Pentax SMC Takumar as designated on the name ring. K mount.

The name is important to differentiate between the Super-, Super-Multi-Coated, and SMC versions.

Yes, there are two versions of the Super-TAKUMAR, however those are not being discussed in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135/3,5 had a very good reputation from the 60's to the 80's.

But which is the famous lens? the version 1 or the version 2?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

I don't think the version matters very much. I have a five and a four element super-takumar 135mm 3.5. I've yet to test them against each other. The famous 135mm takumar is the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm 2.5 v2 But that is a different lens from 3.5's

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Is this a trick question? Lol

The first Super-TAKUMAR was produced from 1962 to 1966

The second Super-TAKUMAR was produced form 1966 to 1971 when Super-Multi-Coated was introduced and produced until 1979.

Ref: http://www.aohc.it/catalogo.php?catalogo=obiettivi&pagina=2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually re-processed some of the images last weekend, I believe they look more interesting now:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
KEO wrote:

Yes, same design.

Actually there are two versions of the super takumar 135mm 3.5

An early version with five elements in 4 groups (cemented rear group) and a late version with 4 elements in four groups. The early version has a finely ribbed aperture ring and the later version has a knurled (like the focus ring) aperture ring.

My Super is the 4 element version. It's a wonderful lens. I'll be very happy if I'm able to fix the Super-Multi-Coated version I have too. I still haven't given it a close inspection, but I know something is wrong with it - something not obvious.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how good is the takumar 135/3,5.

Very good of curse

How does IT compare with the hexanon 135/3,2?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another ir-image, local landscape, Pentax K100ds / Super-Multicoated-Takumar 3.5/135.

My first try of a "false color" image.

best regards

Timo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows this mountain?

Super-Multicoated-Takumar 3.5/135 & Penzax K100ds (infrared)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting a better M42/Sony nex adapter I have tried the tak 135 on my Sony A7ii again.
As said before, performance is good, but when used for landscape fotography (focussed to infinity) it`s performance falls a bit behind my beloved Leitz Elmarit-R 135. While the Elmarit-R 135 when stopped down delivers a quite even distribution of sharpness over the whole image circle, the SMC-takumar 3.5/135 shows some more decrease when looking on image quality near to the borders. But I believe it is still good enough.

best regards

Timo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which mountain please? Smile