Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Takumar 135/3.5 - Panagor 135/2.8 | which is better?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: SMC Takumar 135/3.5 - Panagor 135/2.8 | which is better? Reply with quote

Please check the full side by side video here: https://youtu.be/QPPuoaD0SHM

So I was looking for an upgrade for my Panagor 135/2.8 and I saw a SMC Takumar 135/3.5 for a good price. I decided to get the Takumar, because imho you can't go wrong with any Takumar. But when I compared them side by side I had a really hard time telling the lenses apart.

Can you guess which lens is the Takumar and which is the Panagor? (Taken on a Sony A7 iii in 4k with the exact same settings)

1: both wide open

2: both wide open

3: both at f11

4: both at f11

Answers:
1: Takumar - Panagor
2: Takumar - Panagor
3: Panagor - Takumar
4: Panagor - Takumar

Check the video for more examples: https://youtu.be/QPPuoaD0SHM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are very close.
Thank you for your images.
I detect a hint more crispness in the Takumar in your shots.
I know I would choose it anyway because of its splendid ergonomics and engineering, but the results are close
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 There is no SMC Takumar 135/3.5. There is the m42 Asahi Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:3.5 / 135 and the K-mount SMC Pentax-M 1:3.5 135mm. What\s on the name ring? Smile Also, comparing photos may show greater differences...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily tell them apart in the first shot because of the bokeh which is more blurry at F2.8 than it is at F3.5. If you want a true upgrade from the Panagor look at the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm F2.5 (second version that starts at 35 meters on the distance scale and has a 4 (for F4) under the focussing mark (a red diamond)).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

135mm lenses are pretty good in general. Maybe a difference will be more evident in high resolution images than in video.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Panagor lens was made by Komine and is likely very similar the Vivitar variant. It was made in 5/5 and later in 4/4 The 5/5 has eight aperture blades, the 4/4 six. But the 4/4 has more modern pmc coatings (at least in the Panagors). The 4/4 also has a rear element that recedes deep into the lens. The 5/5's is closer to the mount. Info on the Vivitar: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-135mm-f-2-8-auto-telephoto.html?#review6053

As you can see in this screenshot from a Panagor catalogue the formula of the 4/4 Vivitar and Panagor are near identical.
Panagor 135mm 1:2.8 schematics by The lens profile, on Flickr