Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Takumar 105mm... for 75USD
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: SMC Takumar 105mm... for 75USD Reply with quote

Hello there!

In a spur of the moment, I purchased this SMC Takumar 105mm (in the absence of the lenses I really wanted - Minolta MD 100mm f/2.5 and my holy grail - the Olympus 100mm f/2) and after seeing some pics online, I'm having doubts about my decision. It seems that these Takumars aren't that great after all, neither in the bokeh, nor in the sharpness departments. What are your thoughts? If the purchase goes through, I'll be paying around 75USD for it.

Here's a few pics. Hope they get uploaded properly.

[/img]

Last edited by mesmerized on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SMC Takumar 105mm... for 75USD Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
Hello there!

In a spur of the moment, I purchased this SMC Takumar 105mm (in the absence of the lenses I really wanted - Minolta MD 100mm f/2.5 and my holy grail - the Olympus 100mm f/2) and after seeing some pics online, I'm having doubts about my decision. It seems that these Takumars aren't that great after all, neither in the bokeh, nor in the sharpness departments. What are your thoughts? If the purchase goes through, I'll be paying around 75USD for it.

In my experience it is a fine lens. Just not stellar but very capable in the right hands.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the very sharpest such lens, but that degree of sharpness is only useful for very particular purposes.

It is an excellent portrait lens, or for atmospheric flower photos, that sort of thing, and especially so if you have a full frame camera. Its a good choice for "art" style pictures.

Its not a good choice for landscape, unless stopped down to f/5.6 maybe. Use the Takumar 135/3.5 for that. And not too great for when you want to do heavy cropping.

This is a Takumar, so it is superbly well made. Mechanically the Takumars were the creme de la creme.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SMC Takumar 105mm... for 75USD Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with DIN0 and Luis. Good in right hands, right subjects. My hands not so good, so sold it.

I think you got good deal even with mark.

I also think you will be surprised how good it is...depending on subject.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have one of these. I went in to the garden and did you a few quick test shots
It is sharp even at F2.8 as you can see on the building pic

These are straight JPG out the camera not processed on PC

1st pic is 2.8 next is 5.6

F2.8 and F5.6 for the pics for side by side comparison

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Not the very sharpest such lens, but that degree of sharpness is only useful for very particular purposes.

It is an excellent portrait lens, or for atmospheric flower photos, that sort of thing, and especially so if you have a full frame camera. Its a good choice for "art" style pictures.

Its not a good choice for landscape, unless stopped down to f/5.6 maybe. Use the Takumar 135/3.5 for that. And not too great for when you want to do heavy cropping.

This is a Takumar, so it is superbly well made. Mechanically the Takumars were the creme de la creme.

Ouch! I wanted to use it as a landscape lens...

I was/am considering these:

Orestor 100mm f/2.8 (either the Meyer Optik version or the Pentacon)
Orestor 135mm f/2.8 (same)
Canon FD 135mm f/2.5

Any other suggestions?

and of course - those two lenses, which I can't get at this point - Minolta MD 100mm 1:2.5 and Olympus 100mm f/2 (both are probably impossible to get in my country, so I'd have to use ebay; naturally, both would leave a big hole in my wallet, which I'd rather avoid at this point)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

Ouch! I wanted to use it as a landscape lens...

I was/am considering these:

Orestor 100mm f/2.8 (either the Meyer Optik version or the Pentacon)
Orestor 135mm f/2.8 (same)
Canon FD 135mm f/2.5

Any other suggestions?

and of course - those two lenses, which I can't get at this point - Minolta MD 100mm 1:2.5 and Olympus 100mm f/2 (both are probably impossible to get in my country, so I'd have to use ebay; naturally, both would leave a big hole in my wallet, which I'd rather avoid at this point)

http://forum.mflenses.com/smc-macro-takumar-14-100-not-macro-photos-t65501.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Cheers! I'll have a look.

Any thoughts on the ones I mentioned earlier, i.e. Orestors and the Canon?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Cheers! I'll have a look.

Any thoughts on the ones I mentioned earlier, i.e. Orestors and the Canon?

Both are excellent lenses. Almost all 100mm/105mm/135mm telephotos are pretty good. My cheapy no name 105mm only failed to catch the contrast of Nikon 105mm f/2.5 very slightly when I place the two photos side by side.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with the Takumar. But I'm pretty settled with the 100mm focal length. I was able to find a good MD Rokkor 100mm 2.5 and even if that's all I need I wanted to try out a few others and got a Nikkor AIS 105mm 2.5. Like the Rokkor it is similarly sharp and have smooth bokeh. And becaus very good prices I got a EBC Fujinon 100mm 2.8 and a Soligor 105mm 2.8 both good and sharp but less smooth bokeh. Finally I got a Mamiya Sekor C 110mm 2.8. In a test this one is as good or slightly better than the Nikkor and Rokkor.
Link to the test: http://forum.mflenses.com/100mm-test-for-fun-t80591.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta MC Tele Rokkor QE 100mm f3.5, although slightly slower, is an excellent lens.

https://lensqaworks.com/2019/04/10/review-minolta-mc-tele-rokkor-qe-100mm-13-5/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deal on that Takumar fell through, so I'm going back to square one. One of the lenses I'm looking at right now is the Tair 11A 135mm f/2.8 Supposedly, it's a very sharp piece of glass: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_46.html

I'll be scouring the Internet for other candidates...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Takumar 2.8/105mm is a beautiful small lens, but there certainly are better landscape lenses in the 100mm range. An excellent and cheap solution would be, for example, the Minolta AF 2.8/100mm Macro. It delivers very sharp results also in the infinity range (actually my two copies are even better than the early Nikkor AF 2.8/105mm Micro, at infinity). I saw several sample being sold here in Siwtzerland for about CHF (USD/EUR) 100.--. The first "beercan series" version is well built (metal), however its focusing ring is a bit slim. Later versions have a broader focusing ring, but neveretheless I would avoid them since their focusing ring has a lot of play in the MF mode (and so does the Nikkor mentioned).

You might get also and Minolta MD 4/100mm Macro (excellent at infinity, even in the corners and at f4 [using 24 MP FF]). Solde here in Switzerland for CHF/EUR/USD 100.-- to 150.--

If - at some point - you're going to buy the Minolta 2.5/100mm, be aware that the later 5 lens version is better than the ealier 6 lens version. At least in Switzerland, both version are sold for around CHF 150.--.

The Konica AR 2.8/100mm as well as the Canon FD/nFD 2.8/100 are quite sharp lenses as well. Maybe not as sharp as the Minolta MD 2.5/100mm or the MD 4/100mm wide open, but certainly much sharper than the Pentax SMC Takumar 2.8/105mm.

If size doesn't matter, some classical tele zooms are excellent in the 100 ... 135mm range (the Minolta MD or AF 4/70-210mm for instance). They can be had dirt cheap...

S

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
The deal on that Takumar fell through, so I'm going back to square one. One of the lenses I'm looking at right now is the Tair 11A 135mm f/2.8 Supposedly, it's a very sharp piece of glass: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_46.html

I'll be scouring the Internet for other candidates...

If you are still keen, then the SMC Pentax K 105 f2.8 is the same optics as the Tak as far as I know.
Apart from those already mentioned, the Nikon Series E 100mm f2.8 is tiny and an excellent performer., as is the Olympus E.Zuiko 100 mm f2.8
There is a splendid Komura 105mm f2.5 which is hard to find but excellent.
Canon FD 100/2.8 is also very good and usually cheaper than the also excellent RE Auto Topcor 100/2.8
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I can easily get the following lenses:

- Tamir 11a 135mm f/2.8 (I'll upload a few pics soon) for about 100USD +/-
- Meyer Optik Orestor f/2.8 135mm (the one with 15 blades) for about 50USD
- Canon FL 135mm f/2.5 for 50USD
- Canon FD 135mm f/2.5 S.C. there are two copies, the more expensive one is around 80USD

I've never had anything above 85mm, so I don't even know what's better for me - 100mm or 135mm. I guess I have to see for myself.

EDIT: I've also found the Canon FD 100/2.8 for about 115USD.
EDIT2: I've also found these:

Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 135 mm 1:2.8
Minolta MC Tele Rokkor-QD 135mm f/3.5 MD
Minolta MD 135/2.8
Minolta MC Tele Rokkor PF 135/2.8

EDIT3: Another find - Olympus OM E. Zuiko 135mm 1:3,5 for about 50USD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get all of them. Seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

... ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikor 105/2.5 is a very good lens. I'm happy to sell you one (ai converted) for a decent price, as I have two of them. PM me when interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

... ?

Sorry, your goals are unclear to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
Right now, I can easily get the following lenses:

- Tamir 11a 135mm f/2.8 (I'll upload a few pics soon) for about 100USD +/-
- Meyer Optik Orestor f/2.8 135mm (the one with 15 blades) for about 50USD
- Canon FL 135mm f/2.5 for 50USD
- Canon FD 135mm f/2.5 S.C. there are two copies, the more expensive one is around 80USD

I've never had anything above 85mm, so I don't even know what's better for me - 100mm or 135mm. I guess I have to see for myself.

EDIT: I've also found the Canon FD 100/2.8 for about 115USD.
EDIT2: I've also found these:

Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 135 mm 1:2.8
Minolta MC Tele Rokkor-QD 135mm f/3.5 MD
Minolta MD 135/2.8
Minolta MC Tele Rokkor PF 135/2.8

EDIT3: Another find - Olympus OM E. Zuiko 135mm 1:3,5 for about 50USD

Once you start dipping into 135mm it becomes a different ballgame. There are many many more 135's than 100/105mm lenses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and use the Nikkor 105 2.5 (Sonnar and Gauss versions), the super multicoated Takumar 135mm f/3.5, and the Nikkor 100mm E-lens. They are all wonderful as stated in earlier posts here, and all are pretty reasonably priced. I would say that wide open, the Nikkor E lens and the Takumar are equally sharp and the Nikkor 105s have the most character, but since you are looking for a landscape lens, you are probably going shoot stopped down anyway, so just about any 100 - 135mm lens is going to be nice and sharp at the smaller apertures. Perhaps your choice will come down to other considerations besides pure resolution. Consider what focal length you really want (100 vs 105 vs 135), the MFD, the size/weight, filter size, character (as determined by lens design), mount you need, flare resistance, etc. , etc. You really have a lot of choice here!

Hope this helps!

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lens which is a lot better than Nikkors 105s, Zuikos, Pentax, etc.
IT's the Rokkor MC 100/2.
I sold it and I still crying.
Was so stupid!!!

Of you can find one catch it!!!

Beleave me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I had a lens which is a lot better than Nikkors 105s, Zuikos, Pentax, etc.
IT's the Rokkor MC 100/2.
I sold it and I still crying.
Was so stupid!!!

Of you can find one catch it!!!

Beleave me.

A more affordable, but slightly slower alternative would be the Tokina 90/2.5.

According to Phillip Reeve's tests, even a bit sharper and less CA. Coatings of the Zuiko are better though.

I've never had the Zuiko, but I can confirm that the results I got with the Tokina stunned me every single time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more affordable and super sharp at infinity even wide open is the Tamron SP Adaptall 90mm 1:2.5 52B