Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Takumar 105mm... for 75USD
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I had a lens which is a lot better than Nikkors 105s, Zuikos, Pentax, etc.
IT's the Rokkor MC 100/2.
I sold it and I still crying.
Was so stupid!!!

Of you can find one catch it!!!

Beleave me.

It depends on what want to shoot. If you mainly want to make portraits, I agree with you. If however - like the thread-starter - landscape images are your main goal, then many other lenses are better suited, including the Nikkor Ai/AiS 2.5/105mm, the MD 2.5/100mm, and probably also the Hexanon 2.8/100mm. The Minolta AR or MC 2/100mm has a very nice, smooth Bokeh, but corner resolution is better with the other lenses mentioned above.

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
I own and use the Nikkor 105 2.5 (Sonnar and Gauss versions), the super multicoated Takumar 135mm f/3.5, and the Nikkor 100mm E-lens. They are all wonderful as stated in earlier posts here, and all are pretty reasonably priced. I would say that wide open, the Nikkor E lens and the Takumar are equally sharp and the Nikkor 105s have the most character, but since you are looking for a landscape lens, you are probably going shoot stopped down anyway, so just about any 100 - 135mm lens is going to be nice and sharp at the smaller apertures. Perhaps your choice will come down to other considerations besides pure resolution. Consider what focal length you really want (100 vs 105 vs 135), the MFD, the size/weight, filter size, character (as determined by lens design), mount you need, flare resistance, etc. , etc. You really have a lot of choice here!

Hope this helps!

Paul

Thanks, Paul. It does help quite a bit actually.

papasito wrote:

IT's the Rokkor MC 100/2.
Beleave me.

I haven't found one here. Are we talking about this lens? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-N-Mint-hood-Minolta-MC-Tele-Rokkor-PF-100mm-f2-MD-Mount-Lens-From-Japan/203012969391?hash=item2f448413af:g:xckAAOSwNjleZ3hM

caspert79 wrote:

A more affordable, but slightly slower alternative would be the Tokina 90/2.5.

According to Phillip Reeve's tests, even a bit sharper and less CA. Coatings of the Zuiko are better though.

I've never had the Zuiko, but I can confirm that the results I got with the Tokina stunned me every single time.

I've found one Tokina here. The seller wants ~381USD (quite a lot)
Naturally, it's also a brilliant macro lens (needs an adapter for 1:1, though?)

I've also found what I believe is the same lens, just rebranded for 260USD.

[quote="D1N0"]Even more affordable and super sharp at infinity even wide open is the Tamron SP Adaptall 90mm 1:2.5 52B

One guy is selling this one (52bb) for ~165USD (with the OM mount)

Another one has the 52b version (not sure what the difference is) for ~110USD

There's also the 72b version (in another thread, one user said it's as good as the 52bb if not better) for ~150USD

I've alsou found that legendary Nikkor 105 f/2.5... for around 200USD... Nikon AI Nikkor 105mm F/2.5 MF.

Last but not least... the lens I'm really curious about: Tair 11A 135mm f/2.8 for 125USD. Apparently it's uber sharp and the rendering is great, too. Would be great to hear if any of you have ever used one of those.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a Tamron 52B (more solid metal build than the 52BB which looks more modern but has the same optics)
I also Have a Tair 11 133mm 2.8 (M39 mount so it doesn't reach infinity on m42). The Tamron is sharper than the Tair The Tair is a real Bokehmonster but the Tamron's Bokeh is also very good and portrait lens worthy. Between the two the Tamron is probably better for landscape because of it's sharpness It is more versatile and more compact. It has one problem though. Under certain conditions there is a flare spot from the rear element on the sensor. I don't know how the newer 72B Tamron compares to the 52B and BB. That Vivitar lens is not a Tokina rebrand but a Komine made lens (I think wrongly marked as F2.5 by Vivitar. It is F2.Cool Not as sharp is the Tamron and Bokina (I think those two are really comparable except for the flare spot problem you sometimes have (I haven't really noticed it yet but I tend to shoot wide open). It has a more simple 6 element double Gauss design but it can do 1:1 without an adapter. Being a Komine it is a bit boring.

I don't know much about the Nikon as they are useless to me as a Pentax shooter, but I know there are two versions of the lens, so maybe someone else could chime in on that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh is very nice. Lens is sharp too, but handling sucks apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

My son has one and it is very good, but as you say.... I do not enjoy using it
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Cheers. I assume you're referring to the Tair?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Cheers. I assume you're referring to the Tair?

Yep indeed, I didn't have it myself but a friend did.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tair is a preset aperture lens. You have to get used to that. It is also quite front heavy, so not easy to balance on a light weight mirrorless. The Black version is more prone to focussing stiffness I think, but the Silver one (11 instead of 11a) doesn't reach infinity when converted to m42. On mirrorless this can be solved by using a LTM m39 thread mount adapter plus a 16 mm extension ring. I think the Tair is more of a speciality lens for portraiture and such than a general purpose short tele.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ mesmerized:

I have two nice Konica Hexanon AR 2.5/135mm here, one of them I dont' need any more. Slightly soft (but lots of details) at f2.5, excellent at f5.6 for landscapes. Images below are 100% crops from the extreme corner of 24MP FF Sony A7II. No CA correction applied!!

You can have it for CHF (USD/EUR) 50.-- & postage. If you want it, just PM me.

S

Overview of the test image with crop area indicated in red color:

100% crop from extreme corner (24 MP FF) at f2.5:

100% crop from extreme corner (24 MP FF) at f5.6:

Bokeh (f2.5; shooting distance 2.0m, background tree in about 10m distance):

EDIT:
For comparison, here the same subject taken with the Pentax Super Multi Coated Takumar 1:2.8/105, first at f2.8:

Then the Super Multi Coated Takumar 1:2.8/105[/b] at f5.6 - still not really sharp and clearly less details than the Hexanon at f2.5:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Even more affordable and super sharp at infinity even wide open is the Tamron SP Adaptall 90mm 1:2.5 52B

i can second that ..its nice and contrasty wide open and probably why its easy to focus on a DSLR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree about the Tamron 90. It's a fine macro lens. But an all-around great lens, better than the Takumar 105, sharp with wonderful color and bokeh, is the Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Super Tak is not a very sharp lens but quite suitable for portrait.
I have also :
Tokina 90 2.5 : sharp but heavy
Canon FDn 100 f2.8: sharp , nice colours, nice bokeh ,cheap.
Nikon E 100 f2.8: sharp in the center, light , cheap.
Soligor 105 f2.8 manual aperture: artistic tiny lens

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davev8app wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
Even more affordable and super sharp at infinity even wide open is the Tamron SP Adaptall 90mm 1:2.5 52B

i can second that ..its nice and contrasty wide open and probably why its easy to focus on a DSLR

The Tamron SP 2.5/90mm Macro lens is an excellent small MF lens. It probably is one the few vintage MF lenses suitable for 50 MP FF cameras. When I got it, I have compared it (on 24 MP FF) with the Minolta MD-II 2/85mm, which is another excellent vintage lens. IQ in the infinity range was nearly identical, but of course the f2 lens had a slightly smoother bokeh.

S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to give another plug for the Konica, or alternatively the Topcon 100mm 2.8. I find both to be plenty sharp for landscapes and small enough for ease of use and just generally enjoyable lenses to use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

Absolutely, the 52B is superb - it does have an issue with the notorious 'blue spot' reflection from the flat rear element on the sensor, but you can see that in the viewfinder or live view and just change your position slightly. I've never lost a picture to 'blue spot' yet.

I also have the Rokkor 100 / 2.5 ( 4th version ) which is one of my favourite lenses, it's really sharp with no great vices.

Another lens that I love in this range is my old Sankor Serie E. 105 / 2.5 in M42 mount which is a wonderful lens, way better than my other 100 range M42's from Soligor, Schacht and Hanimex.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

i always forget about this lens, thinking of it more as a macro / portrait lens, but it really is wonderful, all the early tamron SP lenses have a really lovely color rendering (imho - some think it's cold)