Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC PENTAX-M 20mm f4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: SMC PENTAX-M 20mm f4 Reply with quote

I found this SMC PENTAX-M 20mm f4 in a local camera store. It has been well used over the years with quite a bit of paint loss, but glass is perfect. It is slow but I love its very small and convenient size. Is there any other MF 20mm this small? The sample images below were taken with a crop camera.
I'm sure full frame shots with this lens will be more impressive. Thanks for looking.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice compact 20mm & the images look good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, very wide even on crop sensor and displays nice IQ, at least for my taste anyway. Being compact makes it a near perfect walk-around prime if it wasn't for the relatively slow aperture (most wides are not that fast anyway, 2.8?).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor AI 20/4 is very small too Wink

Great shots from a great lens Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid my Vivitar 20/3.8 I am waiting for will look like a monster in comparison.

See it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-Mt-Vivitar-Auto-20mm-f3-8-Lens-X-700-XK-XG-XD-/190564444551?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2c5e86a987

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
I am afraid my Vivitar 20/3.8 I am waiting for will look like a monster in comparison.

It's a lot bigger but I like the look of that lens. I think it's a Kiron made lens. Hope it's a great copy. Look forward to some samples.

Thanks everyone for comments.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find!

It's a little hard to tell from these shots but it seems like there's very little distortion?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Good find!

It's a little hard to tell from these shots but it seems like there's very little distortion?

You're right. This lens is rectilinear. On a film camera it still seems that way. I will post samples later.
I find myself shooting at f5.6 with this lens for best results. I live where it is cloudy and rainy most of the year so this is not good thing. I still use it anyway.
I just try not to shake.

Last edited by Jeff Zen on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
That is a nice compact 20mm & the images look good.

i have this one in M42 mount... it's a decent lens IMO... but it's huge compare to that pentax... and not much faster lol.

i want that pentax now... hopefully i can find 1.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see another PDX'er! I Shoot with a 120/5.6 and it can be quite a challenge in the dark gray months!