Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Pentax 50/1.4 vs Topcor 58/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: SMC Pentax 50/1.4 vs Topcor 58/1.8 Reply with quote

A test I did today between the SMC Pentax 50/1.4 and RE Auto-Topcor 58/1.8.

Here some 100% crops:

Surprisingly, the SMC Pentax 50/1.4 blows the Topcor out of the water. More vibrant colors, more contrast. The Pentax seems sharper as well.

Bokeh test:

More contrast and sharpness with the Pentax. Bokeh is quite pleasant in both lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprise to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax is better in every way except colours - at least if the Topcor had greater contrast.... for me the Pentax is far too yellow.
On the 100% crops I can't help but notice that they are both very detailed wide open but both lenses seem to be less detailed after until F4 for the Pentax and F5.6-8 on the Topcor. I don't get it. Particularly F2.8 on the Topcor is totally mushy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad copy of the Topcor? I've always felt mine was among the best lenses I owned.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Bad copy of the Topcor? I've always felt mine was among the best lenses I owned.

Maybe, it’s the first one I’m testing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Topcor 58/1.8 looks nothing like mine, what serieal # is yours ???xxxx first 3 digits is all we need to know which version you have.

Just added more 58/1.8 pictures to my Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/topcorre5818/

Last edited by Lightshow on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Your Topcor 58/1.8 looks nothing like mine, what serieal # is yours ???xxxx first 3 digits is all we need to know which version you have.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/topcorre5818/

Mine starts with 116.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As does mine, something is out on yours, it should be sharp, lots of resolving power and a three dimensional feel to it's pictures.

Last edited by Lightshow on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine 990xxxxx is definitely much sharper in the center. The contrast is somewhat in line with expectations - it is a single-coated lens unlike the SMCed Pentax.

However, my copy of the f/1.8 seems to have really horrible corners - visibly soft even at f/4. Funny thing is, my RE. Topcor f/1.4 version has wonderful corners although numerous reviews say otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
As does mine, something is out on yours, it should be sharp, lots of resolving power and a three dimensional feel to it's pictures.

Yeah, i figure mine is a bad sample.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post the serial # info from another post.
Code 62B based on the F Auto-Topcor from: 620001 to 625115 (1963)
Code 99B new optics,2nd and 3rd elements were separated. from 99xxxxx to 9901920 (1964)
Code 116B new mechanicals, from 1160001 to 11608302 (1965)
Code 129B (black or chrome) optics changed again From: 1161xxxx to 11670435 last known (1966) I have the chrome version, awesome lens.
Code 129BD (Navy) from: 1165xxxx to 11650401 last known (1967)
Code 129BG AUTO-TOPCOR (black) from: 1168xxxx to 11685922 last known (1971)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"for me the Pentax is far too yellow. "

"Golden" is my description.
It is a gorgeous defect.
It is a slight edge of sunset.
Many Komuras have this, even more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that there is too much wrong with your Topcor.
There is much better contrast with the Pentax of course and that is to be expected because of its superior coatings.
The contrast difference at both longer and shorter ranges makes the Pentax look sharper but it is apparent sharpness I think.
The lenses might both be resolving approximately the same and the SMC is making all the difference in the distance shots.
The Topcor has a clearly prettier bokeh to my eye.
I find that the Topcor excels in close to medium shots where I want bokeh to be super buttery. For long shots the SMC Pentax is certainly better
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79, could you post the original pictures or link to them please, I would like to remove the downsizing and embedding into the text which was posted as a jpg as a possible cause of degraded performance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
There is much better contrast with the Pentax of course and that is to be expected because of its superior coatings.
The contrast difference at both longer and shorter ranges makes the Pentax look sharper but it is apparent sharpness I think.
The lenses might both be resolving approximately the same and the SMC is making all the difference in the distance shots.
I find that the Topcor excels in close to medium shots where I want bokeh to be super buttery. For long shots the SMC Pentax is certainly better
Tom

You might be right there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Tom

The Pentax has a fantastic bokeh in my opinion, one of the best for a standard with a double gauss design.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

We agree on that !!

I'll run a similar test tomorrow, using two Topcors and two Takumars each.

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

We agree on that !!

I'll run a similar test tomorrow, using two Topcors and two Takumars each.

Stephan

Great, I’m curious. If you happen to have a SMC Pentax 50/1.4, please include it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SMC Pentax 50/1.4 vs Topcor 58/1.8 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
A test I did today between the SMC Pentax 50/1.4 and RE Auto-Topcor 58/1.8.

I always enjoy looking at others tests; thanks for doing the work! Could you add some more information such as camera used, crops (usually 100%, but not always), tripod, and method of actually taking the image (eg self-timer, electronic shutter and similar information)?

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oly E-pl5, 100% crops, 2 sec timer, Hama Omega premium ii tripod.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your very interesting comparison, сaspert79. I recently did a similar test comparing Topcor 2.8/35 and Hexanon 2.8/35, in order to discover that Hexanon renders details slightly better.

Still, I am puzzled with a rather "flat" performance of your Topcor. Shots I saw from other members of the forum and in internet coming from this lens give an idea of a pretty gaze blowing 3D effect which is equally reclaimed here by Lightshow. I am curious to see some more shots with your Topcor if you could take objects in close to mid range.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Thank you for your very interesting comparison, сaspert79. I recently did a similar test comparing Topcor 2.8/35 and Hexanon 2.8/35, in order to discover that Hexanon renders details slightly better.

Still, I am puzzled with a rather "flat" performance of your Topcor. Shots I saw from other members of the forum and in internet coming from this lens give an idea of a pretty gaze blowing 3D effect which is equally reclaimed here by Lightshow. I am curious to see some more shots with your Topcor if you could take objects in close to mid range.

I will certainly do that!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Sure? Look at the 100% crops (24MP FF, corner) below.

[/quote]

Oldhand wrote:

Regarding contrast, my Topcor 1.8/58mm and my Super-Takumar 1.4/50mm are indistinguishable (comparing them at the same aperture, of course). See image below.

If one wants the best performance over the entire full frame field, the Topcor 1.8/50mm delivers better results than the Takumar, both at f2 and at f4.
The Takumar may, however, have a better center resolution than the Topcor. This may explain the diagreement between Calvin's (micro 4/3) and my (Full Frame) tests.

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from your corner crops I’m quite convinced that there’s something wrong with my Topcor lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, guys.

I'll test my S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 (the same optics as the SMC Pentax K) and the 990xxxxx RE. Topcor 58/1.8 sometime in following days.