Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smartphone photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A peaceful Xmas for all you guys and girls!

Taken with Google Pixel XL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guys, for your perfectly illustrative greeting shots! That makes the choice not so easy.

Have nice Christmas days!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Níce Christmas!

Goods picture to support your wish!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for note regarding photography with smartphone: Gsmarena has a comparison service in a Dpreview style, of the same test scene in good and in low light.

Some Nokia, Motorola and Chinese phones under 400$ give pretty amazing image quality, close to or better than Canon S90-S120. Maybe not yet at the level of Olympus E-PL1, but surprisingly close.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
I have gotten really good results from my Pixel. I have a telephoto and macro lens from Moment and their app which allows you some manual controls (ISO, exposure, shutter speed, white balance and focus). It allows you to shoot in RAW too. It is not as good as my DSLR, but it really ups the quality of my phone pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by the discussion and willing to get myself a very portable camera, I provided myself with a very decent Moto G7+ at a pretty low price.

Given the core role of the software in computational photography, I put myself to compare different camera apps with the same lenses, in the same way we normally take test shots with different lenses. It was worth a try, as the rendition vary indeed.

Here are results of three apps used, Android stock camera, Open Camera and proprietary Moto camera.

#1 A general shot corresponding to one taken with an ultra-wide FF equivalent, the sharpness is equal all over the view field

#2 A 100% crop from the center of the three shots, the best taken from a series taken with each using different settings. The third shot was taken with a time distance, but with the same grey sky, so the colour differences with the former two may have a role, while the sharpness is well typical for each of the three.

#3 An example of indoor screen "capture" with Open Camera

#4 The same with Moto camera

As one may see, the stock Android camera gives pretty soft shapes (and nice "retro" colours). The Open Camera uses a part of the sensor for processing (EIS?) thus making the image sligtly cropped but visibly sharper, with neutral colours but more grainy sky. And Moto camera makes a compromise between the two, giving a pretty natural feeling and an especially estonishing homogenity and clarity to uniform surfaces. In fact, it shows itself closest to Canon S90 from the early 2010s.

The uniformity of colour rendition by Moto camera is confirmed in the last two shots. Whereas Open Camera captures screen diffraction and accentuates its uneven structure, Moto camera processes it in a more even and pleasant way.

I had a chance to compare night shots taken with Moto and Google cameras : the GCam is even more impressive, with its technique of summing up 7-15 individual shots (but slower).

So, if you want to get better photo results with your smartphone, think to upgrade your software and/or chose API 2 in your settings !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems not that much time ago members exchanging with XMas pictures in this thread. And here is a shot taken with Moto G7+ in the very center of Paris under restrictive anti-Covid measures.

I applied some in-phone tweaks, like colour punch and slight exposure compensation, I also did an in-phone resize (that did not work that well, I'd say). This is to show the computational camera makes a good job of counter-light situations.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

But how empty!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right! Taking into account this is at Champs Elysées, that looks like a lapse of Martian chronicles.