Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smallest75-90 mm adaptable to mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Smallest75-90 mm adaptable to mount Reply with quote

Working on my travel kit, i carry an a7 r4, and adapt to an m mount with hellicoid. Whats in the to go bag already is good to 50mm wanting something longer had considered a nikon 80 f2 but when the adapter is included to m no joy... What would you carry? Rather have better iq than speed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta M-ROKKOR 90mm f/4 maybe?

Could be expensive though...; I'm sure others would know of a similar quality cheaper alternative.

A quick look found this review (undoubtedly there are more):

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-minolta-m-rokkor-90mm-4-0/

The above review also list some other M-mount alternatives in this FL.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Could be expensive though...; I'm sure others would know of a similar quality cheaper alternative.

+1.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

+1.

Minolta MD-III 100/2.5 is very small as well. And very good performer on top of that!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider 85mm f/4 Tele-Arton in DKL (Retina) mount … not sure how big it'll get with the appropriate adaptor, but it's beautifully compact on my Pentax Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM Zuiko 100mm f/2.8 also an option.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at another nikon- the Series E 100mm f2.8.
Light-weight, and ,mostly excellent optics. It isn't much bigger than a 50mm f2.
Down side is all the plastic/carbon fibre. If you can put up with that, a decent low-cost performer.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the tele arton with Techart AF adapter on A7 R IV

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20236/big_7980_16859831875022912788009222775905_1.jpg]

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica Elmar 90/4, small and excellent performer, dirty cheap these days

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you limiting yourself to Leica-M mount? LTM Jupiter 9 with LTM to M adapter attached.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good ideas in the below thread..... Anything small that can get to an M mount via adapter qualifies. The Elmar just never clicked with me, even though the size is attractive.

Was also considering the Zeiss 85 ZM, but not sure its better than the Rokkor....

Schneider is interesting, DKL adaptation as you show is a two step process..... but looking at the forum lots of nice pics done with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Elmar 90/4 and Voigtlander apo lanthar 90/3,5
Voigt has better contrast, color. while elmar has better handling CA ( almost no CA). I keep the voiigt and sold elmar.
here's the comparison elmar vs apo
I also have Steinheil munchen 100/3,5, sharp also compact but hard to find.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is actually 3 adapters stacked but you can purchase light inexpensive DKL to e mount. Not AF though. I like the LM techart because you can stack so many of the old manual focus mounts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax G Zeiss 90mm Sonnar 2.8. You just need to deal with the not optimal focusing experience of the adapter. Great iq in a small package.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look into enlarger and industrial lenses. long flange distance, but razor sharp, and the required extension tubes can be unscrewed and the parts stored inside one another.
75 mm f/4.5 Meopta Belar: 26 mm, 42 g (enlarger lens, 23.5 mm thread mount)
75 mm f/4.5 Tominon: 75 g (screw mount, possibly M39)
8o mm f/4 Schneider Optics Pyrite APO-Componon: 1o9 g, 29 mm (industrial lens, 82 mm image diameter, 77.6 mm flange distance, V38 mount, focus via external Unifoc device or helicoid adapter, aperture to f/45, 586 USD new)
9o mm f/4.5 Schneider Optics Pyrite APO-Componon: 134 g, 29 mm (industrial lens, 9o mm image diameter, 86.5 mm flange distance, V38 mount, focus via external Unifoc device or helicoid adapter, aperture to f/64, 1o98 USD new)
1oo mm f/5.6 Schneider Optics Pyrite Componon-S: 176 g, 29 mm (industrial lens, 1oo mm image diameter, 95.9 mm flange distance, V38 mount, focus via external Unifoc device or helicoid adapter, aperture to f/64, 839 USD new)
(see docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UGbXkrE5GqlD6Hoq8bFN9FEOZf37k0LrK6tN2moOuno)

as for conventional lenses, say since post-war, the tele-elmarit-m is the lightest at 225 g, and among the shortest.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All unwieldy monsters compared to this little gem:
https://deltalenses.com/product/kodak-enlarging-ektar-75-4-5-us/

Great rendition and sharpness. Plus it can be swallowed in an emergency.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16:9 wrote:
All unwieldy monsters compared to this little gem:
https://deltalenses.com/product/kodak-enlarging-ektar-75-4-5-us/

Great rendition and sharpness. Plus it can be swallowed in an emergency.

Well... I followed your advice and now the doctor says I don't need to worry about my iron deficiancy any more.

A meltdown... through my lens! by simple.joy, auf Flickr

Thanks, Kodak!

(It didn't taste great though...)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Isn't Leica branded variant usually cheaper and practically the same lens?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathala wrote:
look into enlarger and industrial lenses. long flange distance, but razor sharp, and the required extension tubes can be unscrewed and the parts stored inside one another.
75 mm f/4.5 Meopta Belar: 26 mm, 42 g (enlarger lens, 23.5 mm thread mount)
as for conventional lenses, say since post-war, the tele-elmarit-m is the lightest at 225 g, and among the shortest.

I second that - this might be among the lightest lenses in that focal range. And a lot of fun because of its square bokeh (at least the zebra version: https://deltalenses.com/product/meopta-belar-75-4-5-v3/)
Usually that's how well I fit in... by simple.joy, auf Flickr

There's also these:

Enna Ennagon 80 mm f/4.5 (even lighter than the Belar with 38g)

Con-artist by simple.joy, auf Flickr

Roeschlein Kreuznach Supronar 75 mm f/3.5 (not as sharp as the SK lenses mentioned by kathala, but a bit faster, nice rendering and only 44g)

X marks the spot by simple.joy, auf Flickr

Family matters by simple.joy, auf Flickr

and finally the

A. Schacht Ulm R Travegar 75 mm f/3.5 (quite a capable lens, and not too slow for an enlarger lens)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax-M 85mm 1:2 is pretty compact and still bright.
Poleskeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

I have this lens and I like it very much. Pleasant bokeh and good sharpness already wide open, best between f4 and f5.6. Very low CA´s, which are getting a little more pronounced when the lens is stopped down beyond f5.6. I have the MC version. This image was taken with it on a Sony Alpha 7ii.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

I have this lens and I like it very much. Pleasant bokeh and good sharpness already wide open, best between f4 and f5.6. Very low CA´s, which are getting a little more pronounced when the lens is stopped down beyond f5.6. I have the MC version. This image was taken with it on a Sony Alpha 7ii.

Very nice, yes I like this lens as well. You managed to get pretty close 👍

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

I believe it is the same optical formulation, but coatings may be different from what I have read. I have never looked into buying any M mount lenses myself so not sure which is cheaper, Leica's version or the Minolta.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RokkorDoctor"]
Dejan wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

I think you'll find the opposite. Anything branded Leica, even a mouldy sandwich, fetches double of any other brand.
The 4o/2 was indeed the same lens, designed by L and made by M; I'm not sure about the 9o. In any case, the above-mentioned 9o/4 Leica Elmar is much cheaper (and older, but IQ should be virtually identical: the Elmar was as good as it could be; the Rokkor was designed to be affordable.)

Btw. thanks for the enlarger input! If anyone knows others, I'd be very happy to include them in my little pancake lens project docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UGbXkrE5GqlD6Hoq8bFN9FEOZf37k0LrK6tN2moOuno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Smallest75-90 mm adaptable to mount Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
Working on my travel kit, i carry an a7 r4, and adapt to an m mount with hellicoid. Whats in the to go bag already is good to 50mm wanting something longer had considered a nikon 80 f2 but when the adapter is included to m no joy... What would you carry? Rather have better iq than speed.

Leitz 9cm f/4 is very petite.