Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smaller image circle lenses for nex 5n.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Smaller image circle lenses for nex 5n. Reply with quote

I have the a7ii and a plethora of lenses that cover FF. I just bought a nex 5n as backup. What MF vintage lenses ot there match up well with the APS-C format that are not of the standard FF sort. That is to say I know about Canon, Nikon, Minolta Fuji, Mamiya, CZJ, Steinheil, Schneider etc. I am curious about half frame lenses, or CCTV, or other formats that would cover my sensor on APS-C. I know oly had a half frame a system, I think some other manufacturers did as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

35mm cine lens from LOMO/KMZ and etc...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the right track Smile

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Format column for sensor; Mount column for lens...

i.e., c--mount lens for 1-1/3" camera, the image circles should cover aps-c sensor with 26.7mm diagonals.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most interesting ones I have had recently are the Fujian/Pixco/who knows what nameless things, that cover APS-C.

These are usually C-mounts but often come in kits with adapters for Nex, 4/3, Fuji. They are small MF lenses that look very natural on little mirrorless cameras.

We are talking of $25-40 lenses.

I have writeups here on the
35/1.6 - very sharp in the middle, but with extreme field curvature, so a special effects lens for the most part.
25/1.8 - very sharp in the middle and much better (though not great) corners. Not a Leica, but very usable as a general purpose lens. Beware the flare though.

There is a new-ish 7.5mm f/2.8 "full-frame" fisheye of the same derivation that is supposed to cover APS-C (the whole APS-C frame, not a circle), also sold in the no-name brands. These are in the $120-150 price range. I may try one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Smaller image circle lenses for nex 5n. Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I have the a7ii and a plethora of lenses that cover FF. I just bought a nex 5n as backup. What MF vintage lenses ot there match up well with the APS-C format that are not of the standard FF sort. That is to say I know about Canon, Nikon, Minolta Fuji, Mamiya, CZJ, Steinheil, Schneider etc. I am curious about half frame lenses, or CCTV, or other formats that would cover my sensor on APS-C. I know oly had a half frame a system, I think some other manufacturers did as well.

For classic lenses you could look into ROBOT camera lenses. ROBOT cameras were mechanical wonders, precision made of stainless steel they used a spring mechanism to automatically release the shutter, forward the film to the next frame, and reset the shutter. ROBOT cameras used contemporary 35mm film rolls but took half frame photographs, allowing for double the number of exposures per roll.
Their lenses were made by the best of the time period, Zeiss, Schneider etc. and were beautiful chromed brass jewels.

The early cameras used a 25mm screw mount. Post war (ROBOT cameras ran from the late 1920s through the mid 1960s) ROBOT went to a more breach style mount. There are E mount adapters for both styles on the market. I once owned a fair selection of the screw mount types and they worked well on the NEX-6 and A6000 cameras I owned then.

Sample image:

There is a fairly new series of lenses coming out of China by a company named Meike that are all manual focus, APS-C E Mount lenses. (NOTE: I have seen references to these same lenses sold under the Neewer label but every advertisement for a Neewer lens I have seen is Micro 4/3 not E mount.)

The lenses are well made, metal and glass, with a metal press fit lens cap. They are small, light, and really compliment an NEX style camera. Image quality is good, not great, but better than the APS-C lenses I have used. They are sold on Amazon as well as Ebay and run about $80 US each. There are a 28mm f/2.8, a 50mm f/2.0 and a 35mm f/1.4. Meike also has a 12mm UWA and I believe a 7.5mm fisheye that are more expensive.

In addition there is a Discover brand 25mm f/2.8 that looks and feels like it came from the same stable of lenses.

There is also a new lens from Kamlan, a 50mm f/1.1 (not a typo) that sells in the $150.00 range. This and the Discover lens are like the Meike lenses in being metal and glass, small and light.

A6500 and Meike 2.8/28:

A6500 and Kamlan 1.1/50:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget half frame camera lenses and 16mm projector lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole Olympus Pen-F series of lenses, small and most of them excellent!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus Pen 1.8/38 is tiny and superb, not expensive. There is also the Isco Westron 3.5/35 for Braun Paxette M39, tiny thing but excellent, mounts using an M39-M42 ring and an M42-NEX adapter. Don't overlook the Russian Jupiter-8 2/50 either, a superb lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
There is also the Isco Westron 3.5/35 for Braun Paxette M39, tiny thing but excellent, mounts using an M39-M42 ring and an M42-NEX adapter.

Sorry, but this configuration won't enable infinity focus. Paxette M39 register distance is only 44mm. I have a special M39 15.2mm distance ring to use that lens on M39/LTM adapter. M42 is definitely too long.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
There is also the Isco Westron 3.5/35 for Braun Paxette M39, tiny thing but excellent, mounts using an M39-M42 ring and an M42-NEX adapter.

Sorry, but this configuration won't enable infinity focus. Paxette M39 register distance is only 44mm. I have a special M39 15.2mm distance ring to use that lens on M39/LTM adapter. M42 is definitely too long.

Sorry, but it does.

Most M42-NEX adapters err on the side of caution and allow most lenses to focus past infiinty, the one I use with the Westron does and therefore requires no adjustment.

As long as you use an M42-NEX adapter that has grub screws to hold in the inner M42 piece, you can adjust the adapter to get infinty, the adjustment is only a millimetre or so.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

http://forum.mflenses.com/best-method-to-couple-paxette-l39-to-nex-t63822.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
tb_a wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Sorry, but it does. You should know of what you speak before you make such pronouncements.

Most M42-NEX adapters err on the side of caution and allow most lenses to focus past infiinty, the one I use with the Westron does and therefore requires no adjustment.

As long as you use an M42-NEX adapter that has grub screws to hold in the inner M42 piece, you can adjust the adapter to get infinty, the adjustment is only a millimetre or so.

If you would have stated that a modification of the M42 adapter is required beforehand I wouldn't have made my comment. I know perfectly well what I am speaking about as I have this lens and tried to use it on a M42 adapter without success. That's the reason why I prefer to use it with my M39 adapter which is ready available and there are no modifications required whatsoever.

Your first statement that this lens is usable on a M42 to NEX adapter without further explanations is therefore misleading. There is nothing to argue about. There is the difference of 1.46mm which you can't discuss away.

Here is my thread about this lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/isco-gttingen-westron-35mm-f3-5-m39-paxette-t72840.html

Last edited by tb_a on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, using FF lens on APS-C camera is not a bad idea, especially if one don't need a ultra/super wide.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever, it works, regardless of any pedantic rhetoric.

Isco Westron with unmodified M42 adapter on the right. Zeiss Skoparex 3.4/35 and Canon FL 2.5/35 for comparison, the Westron really is tiny.

It reaches infinity with the aperture wide open, I checked.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Ian. I have a similar Westron. I have a bit of a soft spot for ISCO as the very first vintage MF lens I got was a 100mm f4.5 Westar maybe or Isconar? I don't have it with me at work. (Isco naming has me puzzled ). It was filthy, all aluminum and had a stiff helical but it was really cheap. Cleaned up nicely with tooth powder and alcohol and is quite a nice looking lens now. It is prone to flair but I was amazed at the color rendition and how sharp it was.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure this lens would rock: Click here to see on Ebay