Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Small, lightweight, fast 35mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Small, lightweight, fast 35mm? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Right now I've a Nikon 35mm f/2, not sure if it's this in particular but I'm getting quite serious CA and softness. It works better at f/8, but from 5.6 to 2 I'm not happy.

So I'm looking for a good, fast 35mm. Small size, sharp.
I'm going to use it on the A6000, street photography.
Small budget ($40-$60), so I guess there won't be much out there in that range assumed what I'm asking for..?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done any actual testing on it, but I have a Zuiko 2/40 that is highly regarded. I think it would be a great choice- it is a pancake lens, which is rather crazy for f2. But that's out of price range. I am selling mine. I don't think you can do much better with $60 than the Nikkor.
I have some experience with lenses in that range- SMC Takumar 2/35 is quite soft until stopped down, but has great bokeh, but is huge compared to the zuiko. Also, simply not sharp overall. I found mine for $75. My zuiko 2/28 isn't a 35, but it's similar 'range' in my world and on my aps-c is simply stunning. I got mine for 150. Those are the lenses I have experience with in that range that I can comment on. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people recommended the Flek 2.4/35, but I have no personal experience with it.

Like I said, I think you would be better off holding off and saving up for a true upgrade. Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you StillSanj,

yeah, this seems to be a tough one :/

What if I stretch the budget a little? Let's say up to $100? Better chance to find something within that range?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if speed is not your main concern but sharpness and the lens being well-corrected, you might be se to get better results with a 'slower' lens that can be had cheaper but offers in a way better results. SMC tak 28 or 35/3.5 are supposed to be good performers for their price or the zuiko 2.8/35 or 2.8/28, they're compact and good performers. But once again, I'm not a pixel peeper-might want to do some research first. But I think you can find something to fill your needs. It's the age old paradox- choosing either speed or sharpness without paying the premium money.
Those lenses can easily be had for less than 100.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading about the Zuiko 35 2.8, it seems it lacks contrast... hm.. not sure, although I like the Zuiko 50 1.4 I've, but perhaps are simply different lenses.

What about the Mir 37mm?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is f/2.8 fast enough? Then Minolta 35/2.8 can be had for cheap. What about slightly longer? 45/2 is even cheaper and it's a pancake lens. Regarding the Flektogon someone mentioned, I wouldn't recommend that for street for the simple reason that it takes too much effort to turn the focus ring. Too much travel from near to far focus and too stiff.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Flektogon would be out of the budget anyway, as would any other fast 35mm with prices these days. I would probably go either nFd 35 f2.8 or maybe a decent 3rd party lens, not sure what you can get from the the likes of Tamron.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Small, lightweight, fast 35mm? Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
Hi there,

Right now I've a Nikon 35mm f/2, not sure if it's this in particular but I'm getting quite serious CA and softness. It works better at f/8, but from 5.6 to 2 I'm not happy.

So I'm looking for a good, fast 35mm. Small size, sharp.
I'm going to use it on the A6000, street photography.
Small budget ($40-$60), so I guess there won't be much out there in that range assumed what I'm asking for..?

Thanks

The smallest 35 I have is a Canon S 35/2.8 LTM, but it's price is well over $100, the 35/2 is also up there.
For APS-C, I think the Olympus Pen 38/1.8 is the best choice, though it's price has climbed to over $100.

Your best bet is to browse ebay for LTM 35mm lenses
If 2.8 SLR lenses are close enough, The Minolta 35/2.8 may do.
I typically go for 28mm or 50mm, I have only a few in the range of 35mm.

Last edited by Lightshow on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:19 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Is f/2.8 fast enough? Then Minolta 35/2.8 can be had for cheap. What about slightly longer? 45/2 is even cheaper and it's a pancake lens. Regarding the Flektogon someone mentioned, I wouldn't recommend that for street for the simple reason that it takes too much effort to turn the focus ring. Too much travel from near to far focus and too stiff.

Thank you Miran,

at this point, considered my experience with my Nikon, I can go with a 2.8, as long as results are good and I don't need to stop down too much.
Granted, for street photography I will rarely use the lens wide open, but now and then it will happen.
The 45 seems very interesting, just now wide enough.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the a6000 I would recommend Konica 40mm f1.8 small and small adapter,sharp from f2.8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
For the a6000 I would recommend Konica 40mm f1.8 small and small adapter,sharp from f2.8

Another pancake, which I like, but not a 35mm :/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35mm and 40mm are only a few steps apart.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then try another Nikon 35mm I think you got a bad one.The one I had was low in contrast wide open but sharp and the only one better was Flektogon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian Mir1b seems to be good but I haven't tried it my self.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
35mm and 40mm are only a few steps apart.

Right, nonetheless on the APS-C the difference increases a tad (52 vs 60).

I understand is not a huge difference, the thing is I'm trying to stay within the 35mm, as I want to force myself to get closer to the subject (and therefore eventually maybe go even wider).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then go 28mm Smile and get Tokina/Hoya 28mm f2.8 great lenses you have to pay for times as much to get anything better(Konica 28mm f3.5 old is good to)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for a 40mm f2~. They will hit the small part right on.

I had my SMC Tak 35mm f3.5 in the snow last weekend. I was surprised at the lack of CA when shooting wide open honestly,

Click 1
Click 2
Click 3

Small yes, is f3.5 fast? hmmmm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
Then go 28mm Smile and get Tokina/Hoya 28mm f2.8 great lenses you have to pay for times as much to get anything better(Konica 28mm f3.5 old is good to)

Thanks for the advice Zeeke,

from the samples I'm seeing around it seems a great lens indeed. Probably I should try some shots with my Vivitar 28 to get used to the distance first and then go for the Tokina. How would it perform on a FF?

Edit: aren't some Vivitar made by Tokina? I'm wondering if I've a good 28 already..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an a99 now but my Tokina 28mm is Pentax k and don't adapt to Sony a so I don't know how it reforms on ff. I'm looking for a cheap 28-35mm m42 right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an Olympus F.Zuiko 38mm f1.8 for Pen F/FT. It's very, small, fast and sharp. Bokeh can be pretty busy at f1.8-f2.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for MIR-1B 37mm f/2.8. It's a good performer Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest maybe saving a little longer too. I think your expectations are already above $40-60, and you'd likely need to buy another anyway. Of course, I don't actually follow this advice. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an off the wall suggestion. Fujian 35mm f1.6 (not the commom f1.7). This is a C mount CCTV lens like all of the other Fujians on the market. The f1.6 version is specifically labeled for APS-C sensors. It is harder to find so you might have to hunt for it. Price was in the $40 range. Not the greatest samples but these two weren't standing still for me.

OOC JPG from A6000.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rokkor 45/2 wonderful and cheap lens

here's a sample on A7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go down to 28 and the Vivitar VMC 28 / 1.9 is fabulous, but it might push your budget. The MIR.1B is excellent. I have a couple of Soligor's the 35 / 3.5 is poor, but the CD 28 / 2 is very good.
If speed is the important thing for you, then the Vivitar 1.9 would be really worth looking for. It's not a common lens, it can fetch high prices - but I got a well used copy for sensible money by being patient.