Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Small, lightweight, fast 35mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advices.

I'm curious about the Mir, I always wanted to have one but I've read mixed opinions so I'm not really sure.

For what concerns the CCTV one, it might be another interesting lens, another one that's been on my list for long time. But considered that the 1.6 posted by Steve is not easy to find, I'll just focus on the most common ones for now.

I've read good reviews about the Minolta and I'm considering both Minolta 28 f/3.5 and Minolta 35 f/2.8 (but if I'm not mistaken the 28 3.5 it's the one that shines).

Regarding the Olympus Pen I might be wrong, but I think will not work on a FF sensor, something I want to consider in case I'll use that type of camera.

So, since I want to stay within the 35mm considered cost and size I'm leaning toward Tokina, Minolta or OM which seem to be the lightest of the group so far.

That's where I'm at right now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus Pen lenses are expensive and over the budget limit.

But the OM Zuikos aren't. The Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 is cheaper than the f/2.8 and just as sharp. Not sure f/3.5 is fast enough for you. If you consider the MC W.Rokkor-SG 28mm f/3.5, then just go for the Olympus instead. Just did a shoot off of these two and a Nikkor-H 28mm f/3.5. Both trounces the Nikkor, but the Olympus sneaked past and it's smaller and cheaper than the Minolta.

I found the Pentax Super/S-M-C Takumar 35mm f/3.5 to be nice and small, but too slow for street photography. Couldn't cope with fast moving subjects or lower light.

I was also going to recommend the Konica 40mm f1.8, but yes, it's 5mm more and yes, makes a difference on APS-C.

And yes, Vivitar had 28 and 35's from Komine and Tokina. Both I have found to be very good. Their characters are a bit different.

If f/2.8 is fast enough....
The Tokina made 35mm f/2.8 is very good. 8-bladed aperture. 7 elements, 7 groups. Their RMC 35mm f/2.8 is later and smaller, and RMC coating. 6 blades.

But the Vivitar Komine 35mm f/2.8 is my recommendation. Better than the Tokina version. Sharper, edge to edge and center sharp at f/2.8, no CA, better contrast, and it's smaller. Also within your budget.

There are sample pics in my flickr.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdH wrote:
How about an Olympus F.Zuiko 38mm f1.8 for Pen F/FT. It's very, small, fast and sharp. Bokeh can be pretty busy at f1.8-f2.

+1, maybe you have too strech your budget slightly, but it is well worth it! Great performer Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow up on the CCTV lens. If you are interested in landscapes and such this is NOT the lens to get. It can be very sharp for closer up subjects but it is miserable for use at a distance. It is a security camera lens after all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Is f/2.8 fast enough? Then Minolta 35/2.8 can be had for cheap. What about slightly longer? 45/2 is even cheaper and it's a pancake lens. Regarding the Flektogon someone mentioned, I wouldn't recommend that for street for the simple reason that it takes too much effort to turn the focus ring. Too much travel from near to far focus and too stiff.

that's a good recommendation. the chinon 45mm 2.8 is a tiny pancake and decent but perhaps the price has risen a bit? there is, i believe, a sears variant as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three 35s adapted for NEX:

Canon FL 2.5/35
Carl Zeiss Skoparex 3.4/35
ISCO Westron 3.5/35

Only the ISCO can be considered small or light. The Skoparex is fairly small but heavy, the Canon is big and very heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wasn't as happy as I am with my RE Topcor 2.8/35, I'd try the Rokkor.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Topcor UV 35mm/F3.5 isn't really bad as well and might be available very cheap. However, the adaption to NEX might be the bigger problem.
Anyway, out of my 35mm lenses the UV wasn't around the low end ones but rather in the middle in terms of optical quality (tested on APS-C). In terms of price/quality relationship not a bad choice at all. The UV 28mm/F4 might be even better on APS-C.

Besides that my recommendation is clearly in favor of the Minolta MD 35mm/F2.8 which seems to be one of the best 35mm lenses and very small and handy as well, though possibly slightly over budget nowadays. Though, I didn't have the chance to test the Topcor RE myself, but this lens would be far beyond budget anyway. I gave up already to look for a reasonable copy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Topcor RE and UV. The UV is hard to adapt. The RE is about the same level of performance as the Konica Hexanon 2.8/35 and CZJ Flektogon 2.4/35 but different characteristics to both. I'd place it in the top 5 35mms I have, and I have a lot of them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta MD Celtic 35 2.8 has the same optical formula as the Minolta MD 35 2.8.
So that's another cheap option.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
The Topcor UV 35mm/F3.5 isn't really bad as well and might be available very cheap. However, the adaption to NEX might be the bigger problem.

Here is a short overview with test pictures of the UV Topcor lens:

http://forum.mflenses.com/uv-topcor-35mm-f3-5-on-aps-c-t72485.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all again for the very interesting information!

So, to recap in no particular order:
- CCTV: thanks Steve for the heads up
- Minolta 35 f2.8: it seems affordable and within the range
- UV Topcor: it caught my attention in the past, I think I saw some nice samples posted on this very forum
- Olympus, Zuiko & Pen: about the PEN, thanks to who pushed for this lens, I did a little research and it turns out to be a really nice glass. It might have all I need. I've seen an offer some days ago which was affordable, but now it's gone and all I find it's over my budget. But I'll keep looking.

About the PEN still is not clear to me whether it'll work fine on a FF or not. It was meant for a half-frame camera so I assume I might get sever vignetting on a FF, is that right?

In the meanwhile I'm testing the 28mm and I'm loving the field of view! What a change. Yes, I don't have the nice, intimate feeling of the long lenses anymore, often surrounded with some nice shallow depth of field, but this is a truer way approach the scene.
Nonetheless it makes my job harder as I've to get closer to the subject, which is quite difficult for a shy guy like me, and as I get 5 meters from them, they see me and they give the bad look, and I didn't even take any shot yet!

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on both Minolta and the Olympus PEN.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers,
Carl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like a wide lens to make you talk to people.

Turns out generally, People are ok Happy Cat

Have fun! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
Nothing like a wide lens to make you talk to people.

That's my challenge Smile

Quote:
Turns out generally, People are ok Happy Cat

Have fun! Smile

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikon AiS 2/35mm, the Canon new FD 2/35mm, the Minolta MC 1.8/35mm and the Minolta MD 1.8/35mm have slightly different characteristics, but otherwise quite a similar performance (detail resolution, CAs). (I'm talking about 24 MP FF ...)

The Minolta MD 2.8/35mm is excellent and could be something for you.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
The Nikon AiS 2/35mm, the Canon new FD 2/35mm, the Minolta MC 1.8/35mm and the Minolta MD 1.8/35mm have slightly different characteristics, but otherwise quite a similar performance (detail resolution, CAs). (I'm talking about 24 MP FF ...)

The Minolta MD 2.8/35mm is excellent and could be something for you.

Stephan

Thank you Stephan,

The Minolta it's interesting too.
The thing is, I've found the Olympus Pen 38 f1.8 for a good price.
I'm waiting for it in the mailbox, but I'm just holding my breath because it's seller refurbished.
Hope it will work fine (at least that's what the seller states).
If so, it should be a good deal.

Finger crossed Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the purchase of the Pen-F 1.8/38, great lens, amazing sharpness, and so much smaller than regular SLR lenses!

cgustav wrote:
..About the PEN still is not clear to me whether it'll work fine on a FF or not. It was meant for a half-frame camera so I assume I might get sever vignetting on a FF, is that right?
Cheers,
Carl

it covers the FF sensor of the Sony A7 without dark corners even wide open, just some vignetting. Imo can be even more fun on FF than on APS-C and halfframe
I only have the A7 since a short while, and so far only have taken one test shots with the Pen-F wide open, corners not corrected:

Untitled by Andreas, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second the Tak 35mm f3.5 but would like to suggest a 28mm since you are using a crop sensor camera.

A6000 is a solid performer even in low light situations so lenses with f2.8 or even f3.5 maximum aperture should be too much of a penalty.

I say a 28mm because for a street photography application, the depth of field is sufficiently large that you can drop the aperture to f8 to include anything from infinity down to about 1.5m and not have to worry too much about image softness.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
congrats on the purchase of the Pen-F 1.8/38, great lens, amazing sharpness, and so much smaller than regular SLR lenses!

cgustav wrote:
..About the PEN still is not clear to me whether it'll work fine on a FF or not. It was meant for a half-frame camera so I assume I might get sever vignetting on a FF, is that right?
Cheers,
Carl

it covers the FF sensor of the Sony A7 without dark corners even wide open, just some vignetting. Imo can be even more fun on FF than on APS-C and halfframe
I only have the A7 since a short while, and so far only have taken one test shots with the Pen-F wide open, corners not corrected:

Untitled by Andreas, on Flickr

That's good to know kuaan!
I thought it was going to be a problem on FF due to the Half-frame nature which lead me to think it wasn't meant exactly for a FF (but I might misunderstanding here).

Also, when I looked for adapters, they all come with a warning, that is the adapter will not work on FF A7/A7r as it will delivers vignetting.

Anyway, all good for now, I'll shoot on the A6000 for the time being as the A7s is not on the horizon yet.

Can't wait to play with the lens, your pic looks really nice, thanks for posting it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 35mm f2.8 Minotar from a broken Minox CL mounted on a c-mount adaptor is my favourite walkabout 35mm. Its barely an inch in diameter and give fabulous results.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received the lens (sooner than expected actually!) but now I'm waiting for the adapter which seems to be stuck in a NY post facility, dang it! I've the lens and I can't test it.

Anyway, man, the Pen is *really* small. I thought it was going to be like a pancake, but no, this is really tiny and yet sturdy, which I like it.
Something I already knew it's about the rear glass on this particular copy, which has some tiny circular scratches. I took my chance here, we'll see if it's bad or I can live with it.

Now it's just a matter of dealing with the annoying part (when this happened last time it took two weeks to get it fixed!)

Code:
The Postal Service has identified a problem with the processing of this item at 2:01 pm on September 8, 2015 in NEW YORK, NY 10199. The local facility has been alerted and is taking steps to correct the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats cgustav for the Zuiko.
Can't wait to see your samples.

About MF 35mm going for cheap and good performers :

Pentacon 30mm f3.5
http://forum.mflenses.com/pentacon-30mm-f3-5-cheap-cheerful-and-wonderful-t44954,highlight,%2Bpentacon+%2B30mm.html

Soligor 35mm f2.8 is also quite good
http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-2-8-35mm-sample-shots-t24828,highlight,%2Bsoligor+%2B35mm.html

and Mir-1B 37mm f2.8.
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-116-mir-1w-37mm-2-8-t61273,highlight,%2Bmir+%2B37mm.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/mir-1b-37mm-f2-8-on-fuji-x-e2-t71942,highlight,%2Bmir+%2B37mm.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Olivier,

I was actually considering the MIR, but this time I went for the Zuiko Pen.

So,

I've been playing a little with the OM Pen: guys, I love this lens!
Paired with the A6000 makes me feel sometimes I don't the camera at all.

Despite its size, I love what it is capable of. Sharp, lovely bokeh (at least for my taste) with that little distortion that makes it quite cinematic.
Right now the distance to subject is working quite well, perhaps when I'll get more confident I'll go wider.

Here are some samples:

B&W conversion:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, I bet it is a good mach for the A6000 Wink