Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SLR blocked to aperture f11
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: SLR blocked to aperture f11 Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been using an Helios 40 for few days in manual mode, the camera (Nikon D700) was indicated f1.4 by default. I switched lenses and when the Helios came back on the D700, the aperture was f11 by default. So, as I'm using the Helios wide open, the exposure viewer is always wrong.

How could this happened and how can I fix it?

Thanks for your help.

Isabelle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens is unchipped, it does not communicate aperture to the D700. Your D700 will show whatever aperture was last used with a chipped lens.

For correct metering in matrix mode (you're using an M42 adapter to Nikon) you should enter (this is how it goes on a D3, I think D700 more or less the same)

Menu > Setup Menu > Non CPU lens data > Enter correct focal length and the lens max aperture value, save to memory slot.

With a native Nikon Ai-S mount lens (Voigtländer SL, Zeiss ZF, Nikkor Ai/Ai-S etc. etc.) EXIF will always be correct = aperture used (provided that you've entered data in the menu of course).

Use a lens adapted to Nikon mount and EXIF will state the maximum aperture you entered in the menu, regardless of what aperture you set lens to. Matrix metering requires camera knows max aperture, it will react to light according to how you stop down the lens and meter correctly at all apertures.

NOTE: For adapted to Nikon mount -lenses that wide open show a lot of vignetting, you should dial EV negative correction according to results you get. This is because heavy vignetting lenses sometimes fool the matrix metering with their dark corners, because your camera uses the widest setting to calibrate exposure calculations on these adapted lenses.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vilhelm,
That's what I did. I have already 2 non-CPU registered in the D700. And I didn't change anything. f11 just appeared suddenly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Does the camera meter correctly, in matrix metering mode? What does your EXIF data say?

I will try my 58/2 Biotar tomorrow at my studio, and see whether I can replicate the issue and find out what the problem is. Have to go to sleep now, these 14 hour days are killing me.

Bump the thread if you don't get any further replies from the Nikonistas here on Mflenses Razz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's exactly the same f11 with Zeiss Planar 50. I look forward reading from you.

Thanks and good night.
Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My D700 and D70 both do not behave as what i2b described.

Whenever I mount non-cpu ai(s) lens on the D700, the camera picks up
whatever setting I previously used was set for this unknown lens. So
exposure is always incorrect except it happens to set the same max-F-stop
as this newly mounted lens. My F6 behaves the same way.

So I do think your D700's behavior is a bit odd to me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not being able to return earlier.

I tried both my mechanical (no glass) and optical (infinity) adapter, M42 to Nikon. Takumar 55/1.8, Biotar 58/2, Flektogon 4/20 tried.

On my D3, it does not matter which M42 lens I mount and what aperture that lens is set to, the aperture scale will always show the max aperture value of the currently active lens in the "Non CPU Lens Data" menu. Camera is set to Manual mode. Metering reacts correctly to aperture changes in Manual mode. Focus confirm is available at all times. If it is a non-CPU lens in Nikon Ai-S mount, aperture changes are correctly indicated as long as I have entered the required data for the Non-CPU Lens Data -menu.

On my F100, the aperture reads F-- but meter reacts correctly to aperture changes in Manual mode. Focus confirm is available at all times.

On my D70, the aperture reads F-- but meter reacts correctly to aperture changes in Manual mode. Focus confirm is available at all times.

Be sure to select (OK) the lens data you entered, because if you don't it will only save the data but not take it to use.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vilhem for your feedback.

I tried to reinitialize all the menus and configure again the non-CPU lenses but it doesn't change anything.

I think it is a mechanical problem because I tried to put a Zeiss 50 mm wide open and I couldn't. I gradually closed the diaphragm making move a little element on the lens. I succeed to mount the lens closed at f8 or more. I probably have no choice but sending back to Nikon my D700 which is not anymore under warranty. But I'll wait because I have no other camera and some projects for the next days... with CPU lenses.

Isabelle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i2b wrote:
I think it is a mechanical problem because I tried to put a Zeiss 50 mm wide open and I couldn't. I gradually closed the diaphragm making move a little element on the lens. I succeed to mount the lens closed at f8 or more.

I am a little unsure about what your problem is because your description varies with every post making it difficult to track what your issue is.

Can you please answer these questions:

1. Zeiss 50mm lens, which model? Native mount of lens?
2. Are you using adapter? Is it M42? Is it mechanical (no glass, no infinity) or optical?
3. if unsure, snap some photos of the lens, it's bayonet and the adapter you use.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for being so unclear.

I have 2 non CPU lenses: Helios 40 used with a M42 with optical correction and Zeiss Planar 50 f1.4 Nikon mount.

I discovered the problem when, using the Helios, the aperture in stead of being stuck at f1.4, was stuck at f11. Then, I tried the Zeiss and had the same problem. Moreover, the Zeiss can not be mounted in the D700 when the les is wide open, I had to close at f11. That's why I concluded that it's a mechanical problem.

Hope it's clearer now Wink

Isabelle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds to me like the aperture pin on the mount of the D700 has suffered damage.

Do you have other Nikon mount lenses to try? Chipped AF lenses? Do they work?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the AF Nikon lenses, aperture infromation is correct.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i2b wrote:
With the AF Nikon lenses, aperture infromation is correct.

There can't be any mechanical issue on the body if that is the case.

Has the Helios 40 (M42) worked on your D700 at some point?

i2b wrote:
Zeiss Planar 50 f1.4 Nikon mount

ZF version, native Nikon Ai-S mount. The lens should attach to the D700 normally, there is nothing that mechanically would prevent it from attaching to the body.

i2b wrote:
the Helios, the aperture in stead of being stuck at f1.4, was stuck at f11.

Does the lens have an M/A switch on the body, or an aperture pin sticking out of the lens? The adapter should push in the pin, but do you have lens switch set to Manual or Auto?

i2b wrote:

the Zeiss can not be mounted in the D700 when the lens is wide open, I had to close at f11.

Is it a ZF1 or ZF2 version? Do you set the aperture from the lens (older version) or do you set the aperture from the camera's control dial (newer ZF version)?

All the Nikkor AF-D lenses that I have require the aperture ring to be set at the smallest aperture when mounting, otherwise my display will read "Fee" as in "error". The AF-D lenses have an aperture lock as well, because the lens needs to be locked in its smallest aperture position for the camera body to control aperture.

I repeat: photos of lenses, bayonets and adapter would greatly help - this is shooting in the dark.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures:

Zeiss is the first version with aperture ring.

Thanks for your help.

Isabelle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite puzzled really.

The Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4 ZF does not require an adapter of course, and mounting it on the body should be easy. Once you've selected the Non-CPU lens data to 50/1.4 the display should change aperture number according to what you set the lens to, from the lenses aperture ring.

The Helios 40 I am not familiar with, but I have used my M42 lenses without any problems, especially the kind of problem that you are experiencing.

I think your best bet would be to take the D700 and ZF to a store that sells the ZF lenses, they should be able to find out what's wrong - user generated error or mechanical problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

My camera is back from Nikon repair center. The mount was blocked. They changed it. Now, everything works properly and I can shoot with my last acquisition: Nikon 28mm f/1.4 Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i2b wrote:
Hello,

My camera is back from Nikon repair center. The mount was blocked. They changed it. Now, everything works properly and I can shoot with my last acquisition: Nikon 28mm f/1.4 Very Happy

Great news, both of them! You will love the 28/1.4D, it is a very capable lens once you learn its quirks. I really like mine, I doubt I'll sell it despite that the 24/1.4G is slowly becoming reality for me (piggy bank).

Here's some idea of what to expect, some photos I have taken with the 28/1.4D: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=%2228mm+f%2F1.4D%22&m=tags&w=50441299%40N00&s=int

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot to learn in your photostream. Beautiful shots!