Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Slide scanning
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Slide scanning Reply with quote

I've had a disappointing saga trying to get slides processed and scanned recently.

On holiday at Buxton last month I shot some pictures with the ME Super using the standard Pentax-M smc 1.7/50 K-mount lens. It was a trial of the meter and shutter, as it had had a fault which was recently repaired. I also wanted to find out about E6 slide processing locally, as I've only used send-away Kodachrome till now. So I used cheap Fuji Velvia 200.

I took the exposed film in to a local Happy-Snaps lab around the middle of June as they told me they do the processing and slide mounting in the shop and it would take 2 days. Cost was over ?16.00 for 36 slides. I waited over 2 weeks for them to ring and finally they admitted they'd sent the film away for processing and the lab had rung them to say their machine had broken down and the slides would yet take another 2 weeks! I asked them to return the film, which finally arrived back on 13 July.

I then took the film into the local Jessops. They wouldn't do the processing in the shop but said it would take about a week, cost ?8.99, which I accepted. They finally arrived back yesterday but I was really disappointed with the scans.

Here's two examples, the top pictures are my own scans of the slides, using my old Agfa Snapscan e50 flatbed scanner, unaltered apart from resizing. The lower pictures are the Jessop scans, again resized.

and

They've altered the colours and the contrast a lot, and you can't tell from these, but the pictures are very low definition. I was expecting around 3Mb files, but they're only around 650Kb. What do you think?

edit: larger pictures posted

Last edited by peterqd on Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell much about so small pictures but I guess you must do everything yourself to get results you want.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
Can't tell much about so small pictures but I guess you must do everything yourself to get results you want.

Thanks Riku, I guess you're right, but my scanner is so cheap and old, I didn't I think it would be anywhere close to commercial scans.

I've posted bigger pictures for you

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, these minilabs use some kind of auto-correction.

My local dealer scans the photo to files of about 1.5 MB.
That's good enough for my needs. (If I need a large print, I still have the negative/slide.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
AFAIK, these minilabs use some kind of auto-correction.

Probably something that makes pictures appear sharper in a poor quality 10cmx15cm print.

I wonder how much good scanners cost? This quality would be enough: link