Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Slide duplicator and crop-sensor cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Slide duplicator and crop-sensor cameras Reply with quote

Inspired by an interesting discussion here I was looking at buying a slide duplicator, as a cheap way to digitize slides or even negatives - I have a LOT of negatives ! It would also be much faster than scanning. I was thinking about one of the very old no-name types, like Spiratone.

However, these old duplicators were of course made for 35mm film, and as I understand it are just fixed-focus lenses. Crop-sensor cameras crop the image out of ordinary 35mm lenses. So if I tried one of these on my K100D, wouldn't I get a cropped slide as well ?

Any ideas for a full-frame slide duplicator ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Durst colorcopy 350 which is like an upside down enlarger - it illuminates the negs from below and you have bellows at the top with an enlarger lens. With an adapter you can copy negs upto 5x4 although with a crop camera - 4/3 in my case for this - you're limited to an 80mm lens which makes 5x4 impossible. But up to 6x9 is OK. Once on camera you can adjust with vuescan or something similar.