Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Slackness on push-pull zooms
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Slackness on push-pull zooms Reply with quote

I now have a Nikkor 'one handed' zoom (twist to focus, pull in to zoom) and it doesn't so much have zoom creep as zoom free-fall Smile if the lens is pointed downwards. Its usable for roughly horizontal shots and completely unusable for camera-pointing-down macro work.

What provides the resistance normally and how much of a job is it to improve this on an older lens?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a mix of quality of the build + characteristics of the grease.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contax 35-70 that I bought was surely used (I can tell from paint loss on the rim of the barrel), but absolutely has no creep.
The 28-85 Yashica that I bought last month looks used the same way, but it's a bit creepy.
So I think it boils down to build quality. And it's part of the price difference between a lens like a Contax and one like a Yashica.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Longer (100+mm) push/pull Nikon/Nikkors are famous for this problem. I hate to say it, but this is currently why I don't own any of them...

So, which lens is it that you have?

Sorry, should have said. (Its in my signature, but that will change over time)

Zoom-Nikkor 80-200 f/4.5 AiS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really infamous one is the 70-150 E Series.

The only solution I've come across is to pull back then affix a line of tape along the barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really infamous one is the 70-150 E Series.

The only solution I've come across is to pull back then affix a line of tape along the barrel.