Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Silver Efex Pro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:
I've tried Allien Skin, nice plug-in. Has lots of presets, some are very usefull, like cross-processed film.

I have tried Alien Skin but never could see any advantage in it, really - too extreme for my taste.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's an incredible software. Excellent Bill.

Jules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
I think it's an incredible software. Excellent Bill.

Jules

Thanks, Jules, love SEP.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
vulko wrote:
I've tried Allien Skin, nice plug-in. Has lots of presets, some are very usefull, like cross-processed film.

I have tried Alien Skin but never could see any advantage in it, really - too extreme for my taste.

It creates a separate layer with adjustments made, so u can try changing opacity and layer mix options and get a valuable result. I've just tried presets so far, but it's quite enough for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
vulko wrote:

It creates a separate layer with adjustments made, so u can try changing opacity and layer mix options and get a valuable result. I've just tried presets so far, but it's quite enough for me.

It's good that you like it, that you have found your filters.

BTW, for those who want to play around with b&w in a very easy way, try "Virtual Photographer". It's free and a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'll give it a try seeing the great results. Which program do i need ? PS or lightroom is enough ? thanx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hexi, the software file loads into Photoshop quite readily, dunno about LR,
but imagine it would be the same. Loads as a plug-in to Adobe software.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx mister

I'm trying out lightroom these days, it's great but a bit hard to learn, nonetheless there are many possibilities, and i think i won't usethem all Very Happy

if one has an idea if efex can be applmed with Lightroom and how to proceed ( which folder ) it'll be much appreciated, thanx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up for this one : )

So i'm using this program again ( my computer HD crashed some months ago ... after a loooong one year use :s ) ok.

i find it a fantastic tool, very easy to use, and quite close, actually some people are unable to spot the difference when printed , they often ask : is it film or digital.

I've done prints yesterday, and the results are amazing. Firstly i was a bit against this kind of programs, thinking that film and only film can lead to good grain, but changer of mind is sometimes good, and i think that with time, i may slowly turn into a digital freak Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
and i think that with time, i may slowly turn into a digital freak Wink

Hexi, when that truly happens, send me your Contax Aria, as you will have
no further use for it. Wink Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noted sir ! you'll be the first on my list : )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW Styler does pretty much the same as Nik (if not more) for a quarter of the price.

http://thepluginsite.com/products/photowiz/bwstyler/index.htm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started using Silver Efex and I think it's great. My few attempts so far:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure it works well with your HDR images. Looks just too artificial in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, doesn't look at all like film due to the HDR processing, so the film simulation feels very much out of place. I would suggest just doing your own B&W conversion (e.g., channel mixer).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to simulate film, that's not the point at all. You guys really don't like HDR do you...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't want to simulate film, that's not the point at all. You guys really don't like HDR do you...

No, I generally don't like HDR at all. That's not at issue, though, or the point I was trying to make.

My point above was that since the B&W conversion you've applied looks like it's trying to simulate film, and your pictures look completely unlike film, it clashes. So I would suggest you apply a different B&W conversion that does not look like it's trying to simulate film (which should be fine, as you do not want to simulate film in the first place =).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First i though it was kind of infrared :s ... anyway to each its own.

Is this Ireland ? ( at least the 2 last )

By the way i've found "structure" a great tool. Must be used with precautions, though i've never pushed it to the max.

here's another conversion done lately.

For technical infos, it's taken on Neutral mode with the D700, no sharpening. Added some blacks, and about 30 amount of structure. Film reproduced is Fuji Acros 100. Now you know all : )

by the way is it possible to have this thread stickied or whatever , only to post SE converted pix ? thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your point Arkku.

Not Ireland, NW England, Cumbria, just across the Irish Sea from N. Ireland.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the info. i'm asking this because i've been to Ireland lately and the places on the pic i mentioned looked very similar.

Here goes another one. I had tough times with this due to dark vs quite clear background. Original pic is @ 3200 iso : )

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! I like this style very much, black and white! not gray and gray...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love Silver Efex in Lightroom
Much better than the original Lightroom B/W conversion filter Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant results ! I particulary like the mood and composition of the first pic. can you give more infos on this conversion settings ?

Here goes another one : )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a superb piece of software, especially since they added the new sub-sliders in version 2 (dynamic brightness, etc). Here's one of my efforts with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a brilliant picture mister, fine b&w .