Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma SD14 and manual lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: AF Confirm on converted mounts? Reply with quote

I'm curious about something on the SD14. My understanding is that after changing the battery, you need to mount a Sigma lens to activate AF confirmation.

So how does this work if you've converted to one of the other mounts that are available from sigmacumlaude?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This list contains Sigma SD14 compatible lenses (M42) I have personaly tested:

CZJ Flektogon 20/2.8
Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8
Vivitar VMC S1 28/1.9 (Tokina)
Vivitar 28/2.5 (Kiron)
Vivitar 28/2.8 (Komine)
Focal MC 28/2.8
S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5
Pentacon 29/2.8
Vivitar 35/1.9 (Komine)
Super Takumar "PRO" 35/2
S-M-C Takumar 35/2
Auto Takumar 35/2.3
CZJ Flektogon 35/2.4
Cosina Cosinon 35/2.8
Schneider-Kreuznach Curtagon 35/2.8
Schneider-Kreuznach C-Curtagon (Baby-C) 35/2.8
S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5
Meyer-Görlitz Primagon V 35/4.5
ZOMZ MIR-1 37/2.8 (silver, black Grand Prix) - but MIR 1B is very likely incompatible
Super Takumar (2nd version) 50/1.4
S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4
SMC Takumar 50/1.4
CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8
Pentacon 50/1.8
Meyer-Görlitz Oreston 50/1.8
Helios 77M 50/1.8
JOV Helios 77M-4 50/1.8
KMZ Zenitar M2s 50/2.0
LZOS Volna-9 50/2.8
CZJ Tessar (ALU pre-set) 50/2.8
Meyer-Görlitz Trioplan 50/2.9
KMZ Industar 50-2 50/3.5
S-M-C Macro Takumar 50/4
Tomioka Yashinon 55/1.2
Pancolar 55/1.4
Revuenon 55/1.4
Cosionon 55/1.4
Porst 55/1.4
Chinon 55/1.7
Meyer-Görlitz Primoplan V 58/1.9 (pre-set and manual)
KMZ Helios 44M 58/2
JOV Helios 44M-4 58/2
CZJ Biotar manual 58/2
CZJ Biotar pre-set 58/2
CZJ Biotar semi-auto 58/2
CZJ Biotar ALU 75/1.5
CZJ Pancolar 80/1.8
CZJ Biometar 80/2.8
KMZ Helios 40-2 85/1.5
S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8
Vivitar 85/1.8 T + T2->M42 adapter
Jupiter 85/2
Meyer-Görlitz Telefogar V 90/3.5
Meyer-Görlitz Trioplan V 100/2.8 (old and new version)
S-M-C Macro Takumar 100/4
Spiratone plura-coat 135/1.8 (native M42 version)
Pentacon pre-set 135/2.8
KMZ TAIR 11A 135/2.8
Accura Supertel 135/3.2
Jupiter 37A / AM 135/3.5
CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5
Schneider-Kreuznach Telexenar 135/3.5
S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5
Meyer-Görlitz Telemegor V 180/5.5

tested and incompatible:
CZJ Tessar 40/4.5
Voigtlander Color-Ultron 50/1.8 - work, but rear part hits IR filter near infinity
Spiratone 35/2.8 T-mount + T->M42 adapter (works, but at infinity the lens touches the IR filter - risk of scratches)

Last edited by no-X on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: OM mount conversion Reply with quote

n6mod wrote:
Now, this is interesting, (he said, eyeing a few choice Zuikos)

Click here to see on Ebay

The auction above is the first I've seen of this, there's nothing on sigmacumlaude.com

-Zandr

I apologize , the listing for the Olympus OM Mount Replacement kit for SD14 appeared on eBay , before it did on our website .

There is a Product page now , http://www.sigmacumlaude.com/products.html

and also a Forum http://www.sigmacumlaude.com/sigmacumlaude/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=forum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb!! Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly is. I think I must have one. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New SD-14 body and yet to take my first photograph. Awaiting receipt of CF memory.

Yesterday's job was to mount my Tamrom SP 90mm F/2.5 model 52B lens onto the camera. This lens uses the Adaptall-2 mount.

Also on hand had:

Tamron Adaptall-2 Custom Mount to adapt M42

and

M42 to PK adapter, brass, bought from a dealer in Texas on eBay

The PK adapter seemed to fit into the SD-14 without trouble or damage to the camera body. Have had it in and out a number of times. The red dot on this PK adapter, though, should/can/must not be lined up with the camera body's red dot when installing. You have to free lance a bit and figure it out before you go ahead.

Problem with the Tamron lens was limited to the iris control pin. It is necessary to depress the pin to achieve the iris setting one dials up. The SD-14 has no provision for this whatsoever. Also, the pin intrudes into the camera body enough to be a nuisance.

To make this work I fabbed up a tiny collar, of brass, which asserts the mechaniam activated by the pin. This is a simpleminded fix, but creating such a tiny part with my big fingers was tough and required several tries.

Finally, with the pin annoyance solved, I screwed everything together and the outcome is good. This morning I was able to test infinity focus and there is no problem. My image in the viewfinder is very clear.

I also have a Tamron-SP 2X Tele Converter model 01F which works with my Tamron lens. I have not yet mounted the converter or tried it, but it should work.

Now if only the CF memory cards would arrive I could take some photos. It will be a few more days, though. Sad

One final thing:

The three Tamron items (lens, converter, and mount) are all in virtually new condition, found that way several years ago at the local thrift shop. In a package deal I paid US$10 for all three . . . a few cents less actually. Not a bad deal. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did get one of those OM mounts from Luis - who provides an excellent service by the way - and finally have got around to fitting it which really was very straight forward.

I've only put the 55/1.2 on it so far which works fine. However some zuiko lenses have a protruding guard on the baffle which gets in the way of the filter so if I'm to use those they need modifying. I'll post a compatability list of those I have in due course but it's fairly obvious which will work if you look at the mount on the lens.

The mount kit from Luis was a perfect fit. Very pleased!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD 14 body is now 220 Euros? (about US$300)
What a bargain?
http://www3.computeruniverse.net/info.asp?id=90199841&promo=10734&banner=&pos=

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aniramca wrote:
SD 14 body is now 220 Euros? (about US$300)
What a bargain?
http://www3.computeruniverse.net/info.asp?id=90199841&promo=10734&banner=&pos=

Agreed. I just checked it out. Came up for me at €222 but they knock off the VAT for items sent to North America. Shipping is extra, of course. Bottom line for me was US$310 including shipping to USA with payment sent via PayPal.

Couple of things:

Not sure about applicability of Europe warranty here in N.A.. Also not sure if there might be duty charged on something like this.

Still, a steal of a deal, and especially considering Cameta has RAISED their price recently.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Requesting SD14 Assist Reply with quote

Could somebody help out a noob, please?:

Am taking photos with my SD14 using a MF Tamron lens.

Camera is set to "M" and when I switch it on I go to the first position to take single photos.

For about the first five to ten seconds after the camera is switched on I can set the shutter speed by rotating the wheel which surrounds the shutter button. After that, the shutter speed locks in. If I want to change shutter speed I have to turn the camera off, and then back on.

Obviously I don't know what I'm doing. Confused

With the camera switched on for a while, how do I gain ability to change shutter speed? What must I do?

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M mode is fully manual mode - it should be used if you want to set both exposure time and aperture number manually via the body. If you use manual lens, it doesn't make sense to use M mode. Just switch to S mode and everything should be OK Smile

Anyway, it could also help half-pressing the shutter button before changing the shutter speed value.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
M mode is fully manual mode - it should be used if you want to set both exposure time and aperture number manually via the body. If you use manual lens, it doesn't make sense to use M mode. Just switch to S mode and everything should be OK Smile

Anyway, it could also help half-pressing the shutter button before changing the shutter speed value.

Yes, of course, no-X. Thank you so much. It's an obvious thing, but I missed it nevertheless. Half depressing the shutter button does the trick straightaway, and I no longer must switch the camera off, then back on. This is a great help.

On your other point, the use of S-mode with MF lenses:

You are WAY ahead of me on this.

My use of the camera is always to set both the exposure time and aperture number manually. I have no automatic lenses of any kind. These are quite expensive. I have only my one Tamron lens which is 100% manual. This is no complaint. I am very pleased with the lens. But it has no automatic features.

I assumed the "P", the "A", and the "S" modes were for some sort of automatic operation. Since I do not have this inside my lens, I don't understand how the "S" mode could help me.

But clearly there remains much about this camera I do not fully understand. Each new day with the camera is an adventure. One thing for certain, though: I do LOVE my SD14. Smile

Special thanks to you again, no-X, for your very kind help!

EDIT

I just re-read my post. Lest the above sound too pollyanna and saccharine:

There is one thing I don't like about my SD14. It's not the camera itself, which is great.

But the instruction manual did not offer me enough help for using a MF lens. I assume this might be because one reason the SD14 exists is to help Sigma sell (automatic) lenses. They don't make much money when cheapskates like me show up and buy only an SD14 body. I really don't know the reason.

But for sure, I would have benefited from more explanation in the manual re using a MF lens with my SD14. Smile

Last edited by guardian on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, if the newer SD14 revision does correct exposure metering with non AF lenses, but my SD14 doesn't. So I use a trick:

1. set "S" mode
2. set exposure compensation to -2 EV
3. set shutter speed to a such value, so the viewfinder display shows aperture value somewhere between f/2.2 and f/2.8

This results in correct exposure for majority of manual lenses... some lenses (esp. very fast ones or when set to f/11 or beyond) requires more or less, but it's only in practice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I don't know, if the newer SD14 revision does correct exposure metering with non AF lenses, but my SD14 doesn't. So I use a trick:

1. set "S" mode
2. set exposure compensation to -2 EV
3. set shutter speed to a such value, so the viewfinder display shows aperture value somewhere between f/2.2 and f/2.8

This results in correct exposure for majority of manual lenses... some lenses (esp. very fast ones or when set to f/11 or beyond) requires more or less, but it's only in practice.

I don't know either, no-X. But your trick is certainly very interesting.

I will try to learn about your approach and possibly put it into use in future. Thank you for posting this trick!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news for all Sigma users! Sigma released new version of RAW converter SPP 3.5.2, which greatly improves image quality for highlighted areas:

Quote:
SIGMA Photo Pro 3.5.2 for Windows

* Improved processing performance in highlight areas of RAW images
* Exposure Warning is displayed to each RGB channels of the histogram
* Addition of “ProPhoto RGB” to the Color Space in “Save Image As”.

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/news/info_090702.htm

Problems with red channel are now fixed, red is no more overblown or greyish, but RED. Check these image I took last year with by Komine made Vivitar 28/2.8 at f/2.8:

SPP 2.5 auto:

new SPP 3.5.2 auto:

Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ufff... not only the reds are now fine! Here is full list of my findings:

1. reds are now red, not greyish
2. transitions from reds to other color are now fine, no more banding artifacts
3. no more cyan skies
4. no more overblown reds and pinks, red surfaces has now texture
5. many pictures has higher microcontrast
6. no more green tints over the image
7. overexposed images has now more correct contrast - it's not significantly lower than on underexposed ones
8. however, not everythink is better - dynamic range seems to be sligthly lower in some very specific conditions

But it's possible to use SPP 2.5 and 3.5.2 simultaneously, so I'm really happy.

I thought I'll have to buy Sigma SD15 to achieve these results, but all the annoying IQ issues SD14 had, are now fixed Shocked It's like a free camera upgrade...

2 more examples:
SPP 2.5 vs. SPP 3.5.2

red - greeen transition:
SPP 2.5 vs. SPP 3.5.2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Great news for all Sigma users! Sigma released new version of RAW converter SPP 3.5.2, which greatly improves image quality for highlighted areas:

Quote:
SIGMA Photo Pro 3.5.2 for Windows

* Improved processing performance in highlight areas of RAW images
* Exposure Warning is displayed to each RGB channels of the histogram
* Addition of “ProPhoto RGB” to the Color Space in “Save Image As”.

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/news/info_090702.htm

Problems with red channel are now fixed, red is no more overblown or greyish, but RED. Check these image I took last year with by Komine made Vivitar 28/2.8 at f/2.8:

SPP 2.5 auto:

new SPP 3.5.2 auto:

Very Happy

The reds do indeed look much better, but the red in the OOF area looks rather strange with the harsh outline it gives.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to see these improvements, no-X. I think they are getting ready for the SD15! Very Happy

The SD15 uses the same sensor as our SD14s.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Jianisi for Sigma SD14 Reply with quote

The MF lens I use on my SD14 has no image stabilization. No surprise there. So it would be nice to have a remote controller.

I want a Jianisi because of the inexpensive price.

Does anyone know if there is a Jianisi controller that will work with the Sigma SD14?

Thanks.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: sigma sd14 Reply with quote

hello i'm a new member and a new sigma sd14 user,so i want ask to you the better lens that you use with sigma without modification.with a priority to the cheapest one...thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at my list on previous page Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.it is very interesting.But you can suggest the better lens to strart?naturally I'm searching a very good quality one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: New to MFlenses Reply with quote

Hi there, just wanted to say hello, registered a few minutes ago.

Klaus Very Happy

Last edited by exaklaus on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Many,many thanks to joining us!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to introduce myself to fellow Sigma devotees..

I have owned a Sigma SD10 for a few years that i have a love/hate relationship with. I was going to give up on Sigma and go Canon, but then i heard about manual focus lenses being usable on SD bodies Very Happy Very Happy

It has awakened a new interest in photography, i recently bought a SD14 with Leica R mount from Luis at Sigma Cum Laude, and i love it. Whilst the SD14's have been selling so cheap i also bought another standard one that i can use my M42 lenses and std Sigma lenses...

This renewed hobby is becoming very expensive though, my manual lenses now number 11. These include, Leica, Pentacon, Takumars, Jupiter and Novoflex.... i must stop buying lenses Embarassed

I hope to gain some insights on these wonderful cameras, from you guys...