Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma SD14 adaptor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Sigma SD14 adaptor Reply with quote

Hi everybody;

I've seen pictures from Sigma SD10, SD14 and like it.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/page20.asp

Anyone know about Sigma len mount?

Thanks a lot for all reply.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy who has Sigma cam and adopted many lens with mount conversion to Sigma I am afraid this cam has unique mount or Nikkor-F.

I sent you his email in pm to ask him about his experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Attila.

I've mailed him already.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great he is a nice guy with lot of experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dasigmaguy?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is ..
http://pbase.com/recbo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another guy who calls himself "Dasigmaguy" on the dpreview sigma forum. He has (as far as I know) not one single sigma lens for his SD10!.

The SD14 actually has a modified mount from the SD10 and it is even more difficult to make an adapter. Apparently the throat is narrower, which keeps virtually all bayonet mounts out of contention. There is a supplier of M42 and Nikon mount adapters for the SD10, but I do not believe anyone has offered similar capabilities for the SD14.

The Nikon is bad for OEM lenses, but Sigma is impossible. I gather this is deliberate on their part because the camera is mainly a device to sell more lenses without ticking off the other manufacturers too much. Unfortunately the foveon chip looks like it may be something of a technological dead-end - there has been no serious upgrade to the chip in the past five years. Noise is still a very serious problem for them. Their initial foray into the consumer market was a disaster (under the Polaroid label). But if you are amused by wilful "mine is best" approaches - the sigma forum is very hard to beat.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This means for me Patrick noway to pay any bucks for a Sigma camera.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma SD14 has the same registration distance as Canon (44mm). You can use every M42 lens on SD14 with the Sigma SA-M42 adapter.

On Sigma SD9/10 its also possible to use Nikon lenses with the Roxen-adapter on the outer bayonet. The outer bayonet is missing on the SD14.

The Sigma mount-design is original Pentax K, but the registration distance is differently. All Pentax K lenses fit the Sigma-mount, but mostly its not possible to focus infinity.

Best regards

Ingo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ingo!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad that Sigma hasn't "looked forward" for the development of their digital SLRs...I have always felt that the color gamut of the Foveon sensor showed some real promise with its rich colors, at least in the lower ISO ranges. For me, high ISO noise would not be a huge point since most of my work is with a tripod.

Oh well, it's just the way things go. A tough market out there when Canon and Nikon are such giants.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingo

Your gallery is lovely. You show a good set of examples of why I seriously considered the SD9 - 10 and more recently - 14. That is also a very fine set of glass you have to use on them. The SD9 was unquestionably far ahead of the others in the field for picture quality at the time in my view, but they are all catching up or passing. The CMOS sensor is making quite a mark I feel.

I used to participate for a while on the forum on dpreview, but gave up with the "mine's best" attitude (defensive after a lot of attacks I admit) and the supercilious if not arrogant "Laurence" - self-appointed spokesman for Sigma. Shame, because the foveon has great potential, but little commercial backing.

I have been following a sale of an SD14 on ebay this week, but the price is already more than I am prepared to pay - especially as it would restrict me to M42 lenses and I have a bunch of nikkors Smile Smile Smile

Good to have you and your machines on the forum and I for one look forward to samples from you

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to participate for a while on the forum on dpreview, but gave up with the "mine's best" attitude (defensive after a lot of attacks I admit) and the supercilious if not arrogant "Laurence" - self-appointed spokesman for Sigma. Shame, because the foveon has great potential, but little commercial backing.

Not to be confused with me! Laughing

Laurence of MF Lenses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Larry - no definitely not. That laurence lived in Switaerland.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff and great information.

Thank you everyone.

I love this board.